Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 895438 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V1.75 - 32x - 44.03 - Win/Mac/Linux - Updated 28th Dec
« Reply #375 on: January 02, 2018, 01:22:02 am »

Is it possible to make gems more contrast against the background stone? And in general, just gems.

The point was to make them more hidden, embedded... ingame it depends on the gem color... white, grey and brown gems are harder to see, while colorful gems are easy to spot. They are white in the tileset.

Jecomwa, yeah, happens when you do that one last thing before heading to bed and don't check... it's the Farmers Shop. Not the kitchen ^^

1. Yes, especially now with the transparency. I think mifki gave me a few new toys to play with. That should not be a problem.
2. Could you please tell me which tileset? I can't check how they do it, if I dont know about it... but as far as I'm aware, it would be fairly simple, just make anything red/fiery on the graphics transparent.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 02, 2018, 01:23:49 am »

Vanilla dyer shop uses three colors, so the override should probably use them too.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #377 on: January 02, 2018, 01:38:05 am »

I checked, it's just a color-change for powered/unpowered magma workshops. It's done automatically.

For the screenshots I overrode every tile with a white foreground color. I haven't worked with the fancy new transparency -bg and top-files yet, but once I start, I can give them the vanilla colors for selected parts, like the dye in the dyers vats (instead of the entire tile), or the fire in the forges (again, instead of coloring the entire thing red).
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Acolyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 02, 2018, 02:03:25 am »

Woot!

- Shane

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #379 on: January 02, 2018, 06:17:35 am »

Ok, following new stuff...

Since several people said that cavern 1 is too green, boring and too much like the surface....

workshops show more colors... for example a difference between an unpowered and a powered magma forge. :) And the dyer that was asked about a lot.

Engraving is now properly animated.

Dwarves and domestic animals have transparent backgrounds.

Speaking of domestic animals, I took what Obsidian Soul had done, finished the rest, and remade them. Much, much better now, especially the ratio between creatures. Before transparency, I made them as large as possible, so that not that much ugly, black background would show... now that does not matter anymore.

The all come with a proper child-version and a blood-crying, injured zombie version. Happy New Year! :P

If you look closely, you will see two extra dogs at the bottom, next to the bunny. That's hunting- and war-trained dogs. I decided to make them more distinct than just an icon... now you have "generic dog", a hunting greyhound-dog and a fighting bulldog-dog.

Speaking of training... I could do this:

Give domestic animals saddles, stirrups and the like. But sadly, these animals also exist in the wild. A wagon-pulling yak with a harness and a wild, free yak look the same... the solution is simple: Make two creatures. YAK and YAK_DOMESTIC, purely for the purpose of different graphics. One is available as a pet, but not in nature; the other only in nature and not as pet. Problem: It's technically modding and (!) might mess up save compatibility. :/

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:21:10 am by Meph »

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 02, 2018, 06:53:19 am »

Look wonderful.
I think this is a significant step forward, that you started using developments of Obsidian Soul creatures. Creatures with icons (kid, gigantic and other), like Dungeon set, I personally did not like, although I understand that it was forced to use.

I've already imagined how to I draw metal armor on a dog))

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #381 on: January 02, 2018, 07:10:14 am »

Thank you.

I always thought it would be way too much work, but I recently checked how many trainable creatures are in vanilla DF... from 767 creatures, exactly 22 are trainable. 1 war, 2 hunting, 19 both. That's only 41 extra creature sprites.

The undead-skull icon I can redo with the injuries/open wounds. It's clear enough that they are undead.

The only hard thing will be child-sprites for all creatures. ^^

Acolyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 02, 2018, 07:11:18 am »

Damn that's beautiful!

- Shane

dambros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 02, 2018, 07:16:20 am »

Everything looks amazing as always. Are the transparent background dwarves already on 1.75?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2018, 07:24:53 am »

No, this is all work in progress. But I might upload a new pack today. Tons of things unfinished, but if I wait till everything is done, I'll upload never. ^^

I also might just delete the VERMIN_MICRO. They use tile 178 for "a swarm of" small flying vermin, but that tiles is also wagons, smoke, falling leaves and more... it would allow me to give the 5 vermin types proper graphics. Again, tiniest of balance changes in the game, since micro-vermin leave no remains, but if I make them normal vermin, they'd do.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:34:40 am by Meph »

dambros

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 02, 2018, 07:43:37 am »

This amount of detail you put into this graphics pack is the reason I keep using it over ascii ones. I will definitely check it out if the new version once you release it.

Mrok Girl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 02, 2018, 08:19:20 am »

No, this is all work in progress. But I might upload a new pack today. Tons of things unfinished, but if I wait till everything is done, I'll upload never. ^^

Looking forward to it! I love this tileset the most and really appreciate your work :) <3
Newcastle 5 Chambers megaproject.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #387 on: January 02, 2018, 08:47:16 am »

UPDATE!

This time the update changes the entire style of six regions. It has a huge impact on the visual style of your embark zone, so listen up! New, unique graphics for: Evil, Good, Volcano, Cavern 1, Cavern 2, Cavern 3 and the HFS. Last update already got the glaciers done.

A note on the volcanic graphics: Just like ice-walls and ice-floors look unique since 1.75, now Obsidian gets a new look. Smoothed and engraved Obsidian walls and floors get their own, special sprites. But (!) this only works on obsidian that was made through magma/water, as well as the walls of a volcano. It does not (!) work on normal obsidian layer stone.

Other changes in this version include the workshops, which all have been redone; Transparent backgrounds for dwarves and domestic pets; almost 100 new decorational buildings; and gems look more natural now.

Changelog:
 - Updated to dfhack beta and twbt6.31. Aka newest versions.
 - Fixed dead sapling and a couple minor pixel errors.
 - Tree colors are more varied, especially feather/glumprong now look white/magenta again.
 - Fixed corpsepiece/bodypart tile.
 - Children playing make-believe look better now.
 - Added 50+ new creature sprites.
 - Remade all domestic creatures, including new child/undead versions.
 - Dwarves and domestic creatures now have transparent backgrounds.
 - Added new constructed floor tile.
 - Added new tileset for obsidian walls/floors/stairs. (only works on magma-created obsidian)
 - Changed design of cavern 1
 - Changed design of cavern 2
 - Changed design of cavern 3
 - Changed design of Evil regions
 - Changed design of Good regions
 - Changed design of HFS
 - New design for cavern plants.
 - New design for cavern trees.
 - Remade all workshops.
 - Almost 100 new decorations: Oil paintings.
 - New gems, 8 types, that look more naturally encased in rock.
 - Engraving shows an animated tile of the dwarf now.

So, lets see.

Spoiler: Creature transparency (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Animated engraver (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New gems (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New workshops (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Workshop colors (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New creature sprites (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New giant mushrooms (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Animated EVIL region (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GOOD region (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Volcano region (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cavern 1, Shrooms (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cavern 2, Fungi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cavern 3, Brambles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The HFS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 96 oil paintings (click to show/hide)

The new oil paintings are build just like the other decorations. You build a free, 1-tile "painting" workshop, and run a reaction to "hang painting #X" to show the fitting graphic.

Credits:
 - Obsidian Soul for the domestic pet sprites; some added/altered by me.
 - Mifki for the TWBT update that allows transparent creature backgrounds.
 - Vordak, Kromtec and Jecowa for their ongoing support and suggestions.
 - Painting sprites by DeviantArt user Ayene-chan. Thank you for making them free to use, regardless of game or license. :)
And a few resources from modded minecraft sets:
  - http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/67541.htm  DustyCraft by Dusty (7 tiles)
  - ArestiansDawn Minecraft tileset by Levaunt (1 tile, Hellsand, heavily altered)
  - Derivation_5 Minecraft tileset by theVoid1313 (1 tile, Hellsand)

Next I can probably update the screenshots and documentation included, make a proper, full credits file, make all creatures transparent, make kid-creature sprites, proper war/hunting creature sprites, a few optional features (like no raw changes on plant depths), and I getting a good idea how to add Vordaks dwarves. Because they look awesome. ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:58:50 am by Meph »

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V1.8 - 32x - 44.03 - Win/Mac/Linux - Updated 2nd January
« Reply #388 on: January 02, 2018, 08:49:58 am »

I love you

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V1.8 - 32x - 44.03 - Win/Mac/Linux - Updated 2nd January
« Reply #389 on: January 02, 2018, 08:52:24 am »

Can't wait to get home and try it out! Soooo excited!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 187