Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 897247 times)

Krutchen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Get a fresh copy of 0.44.11. Clone the DFHack source code (https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/), and build and install it according to its instructions, making sure you tell it where your DF is located. Clone a copy of the TWBT source code (https://github.com/mifki/df-twbt), then build and install it according to its instructions. It will need to know where your DF and your DFHack are. Then copy the DF config files and graphics from a previous release of Meph's tileset into your DF installation. Make sure you get the overrides.txt, since that's what tells TWBT which tiles to use for which things, and the dfhack.init script, which turns on TWBT.

At this point you have to decide if you want all of the modifications to the raws or not. I don't think any of them are vital, but many of them are worth having. Merging is important here; simply copying the raws from Meph's tileset will cause you to lose access to some of the features and bugfixes in 0.44.10 and 0.44.11. On the other hand, merging is complex and detail-oriented work; it'll take care and attention to detail to do correctly.

Could you post a link to your build so we could play with it? Beats having to download 12 different programs and specifying all the needed paths, lol.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Just wanted to ask: how is the experience atm? Any cool forts out there making use of the new features?

Edit: Hu. Turns out my silly tablet has Win 32 installed. I can't even open DF. Anyone wants a completely untested 44.12 version? :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:41:37 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DorfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone wants a completely untested 44.12 version? :D

Certainly! Been waiting few months to try new build.

Keiri21

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

We'd love it!

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile

I'll play that
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Ehm... you guys know that I cant even open it up myself atm? It's a blind, completely untested, unfixed, maybe horribly wrong frankenstein of a version.

Or, I just happen to make a 3 version jump without a single typo or mistake or compability issues bewteen utilities on the first try, either one. :P

TEST THIS! I do absolutely require feedback on that one. If it works, if DF, DFhack, TWBT and Therapist run fine, I'll do a proper release.

Changelog:
 - Updated to 44.12
 - Turned Animations off by default due to instability some people reported. (aka crashes)
 - Removed 16 and 24 px versions, because of issues with the launcher (resetting overrides.txt) and because they look like crap anyway. If you want smaller tiles than 32x, just zoom out. There will be white pixel artefacts due to TWBTs transparency feature and the solid-white tileset-bg.png files; which can't be avoided. Best to just play on 32x as intended. ;)

Notes: I do have some down time the next couple of days, but unfortunately no mouse (only touchpad), no photoshop, dont have the launcher source code with me, and only a potato to run applications on. Not sure how much I can do with that. :D But hey, Bulgaria is cheap and the nearest mountain beckons.

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V3 - 32x - 44.09 - Please test 44.12 version. Thx.
« Reply #1401 on: July 12, 2018, 06:55:48 am »

UPDATE!

Thanks to the hostel computer, I could do a test-run, everything seems to be in order, so here you go: Meph Tileset for 44.12.

Changes are simple: Newest DF version and utilities, increased stability, but no animations (unless you turn them on manually in the launcher)

Changelog:
 - Updated to 44.12
 - Turned Animations off by default due to instability some people reported. (aka crashes)
 - Removed 16 and 24 px versions, because of issues with the launcher (resetting overrides.txt) and because they look like crap anyway. If you want smaller tiles than 32x, just zoom out. There will be white pixel artefacts due to TWBTs transparency feature and the solid-white tileset-bg.png files; which can't be avoided. Best to just play on 32x as intended. ;)

My only request for everyone: Do cool stuff and post cool screenshots. ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:22:25 am by Meph »

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V3.1 (32x32) - 44.12 - Last updated 12th July
« Reply #1402 on: July 12, 2018, 09:02:15 am »

Meph, do you have a tileset legend for creatures? or at least numerically labelled for modding purposes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1403 on: July 12, 2018, 09:19:07 am »

Meph, do you have a tileset legend for creatures? or at least numerically labelled for modding purposes.
Why, what's your plan? :)

And why numerically labelled, which seems weird for creatures... they are fairly unsorted in the vanilla raws, mostly by vermin/non-vermin and biomes.

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 12, 2018, 09:38:45 am »

i'm trying to create a few animals and looking through which tileset to use is hard (manually looking through other creatures).

as for why numerically labelled, thats how CREATURE_TILE token work.
[CREATURE_TILE:249] = fluffy wambler / hamster

edit: wait, are you saying that biomes affect CREATURE_TILE selection? what the heck is toady thinking...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:42:14 am by EpicMadness »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1405 on: July 12, 2018, 09:44:03 am »

Ehm... I'm saying that creatures dont use tiles at all, except for vermin.

The CREATURE_TILE is pretty much useless, except maybe for their corpses, which are objects/items and therefore use the tile number. The living creature graphics are handled way differently. See raw/graphics, instead of the raw/objects files.

Biomes do not affect the tiles. I was just saying that most creature files are sorted by biomes, like temperate_large, ocean_large, etc.

Seems you have some time to spend on the wiki to figure out creature graphics. ;)

Edit: Here is an example for creature graphics:
Code: [Select]
graphics_domestic

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:DOMESTIC]
[FILE:domestic.png]
[TILE_DIM:32:32]
[PAGE_DIM:15:10]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:CAT]
[DEFAULT:DOMESTIC:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[CHILD:DOMESTIC:6:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[ANIMATED:DOMESTIC:11:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[TRAINED_WAR:DOMESTIC:1:5:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[TRAINED_HUNTER:DOMESTIC:6:5:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:46:55 am by Meph »

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 12, 2018, 09:50:38 am »

oops?  :P

although then how about the corpses? supposedly CREATURE_TILE would decide that no?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1407 on: July 12, 2018, 10:04:59 am »

Yes.

The problem is that the tileset only has 256 tiles, while there are around 700 creatures in the game. Hence you cant make corpses for all of them. Most tilesets give them a letter (like c for cat), others have a singular corpse sprite (so all creature-tiles point to that one number), while I made a dozen or so corpse sprites, based on their body type. Bird, Fish, Mammal, etc.

Your choice.

Creatures in constructed cages (aka zoos) also display their creature_tile, instead of the sprites. Just a fun little thing Toady added to make it even harder for us poor poor modders. :P

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 12, 2018, 10:08:55 am »

ah, i noticed that when i added animals without graphics, CREATURE_TILE seems to have taken over.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1409 on: July 12, 2018, 10:09:58 am »

Sure. If you have no actual graphics for them, they revert to their tile.

The graphics are needed for distinguising adults from kids, from war/hunting trained and from zombies... and you can easily make fitting graphics, no need to occupy a tile in the tileset for a creature.

EDIT: Wow, it's really weird trying to do pixelart with a touchpad instead of a mouse.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:15:53 am by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 187