Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 895265 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I was more thinking of a monthly day/night cycle, or a bi-weekly. Like Rendermax did, when that still worked, with 34.11.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Above and below ground isn't really feasible. It would be possible to do something based on z levels, but it would be kinda odd (how do you decide where the cutoff point is?). The main problem is that you can't switch colors for a single tile (at least not without rendering magic, like what TWBT or Rendermax does).

Day night cycle (unrealistically slow) could work, but without lights who would want it?

Blending the seasonal changes over an in-game week or so is possible, and would (IMHO) greatly enhance the effect by reducing the "shock" of season changes. I don't know when or if I'll find time to actually write the code though... Maybe never, maybe tomorrow (but more likely never).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meph, is there a rough timetable for the 1.2 versions with the lovely new sprites for Linux or OSX?
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Not really, I could upload one in half an hour, if you want. I'm mostly just waiting for feedback... for example I made the vermin, and apparently 2 of the letters I replaced are used ingame: In the high/low traffic designation icons. :/

Now I only have to fix 1 version, instead of 4. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ANickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Noticed another issue with the new plant sprites.  When some animals wander over the tiles, they appear as the plant or one of its products...
I'll upload pictures if you need them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I think thats simply a redraw-issue. Creature walks on the tile, the override is not used anymore, creatures walks off, original tile is shown, and it takes a screen-refresh (by moving the camera or changing zlevels) to allow TWBT to redraw them.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

You can use Armok Vision to see how long day and night last.

It's fast.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Question: What do you guys think of this design?

Main creature... Child creature (smaller, with KID)... Undead creature (green hue, red eyes, skull icon).
War-trained creature (crossed sword icon)... Hunting-trained creature (bow icon)... Giant creature (red up-arrow).

Alternative ideas were a small, green arrow for the kids; or a G for the giant creatures.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile

Those designs look good! The symbols were well-chosen and visible.

A word of warning: You can have giant varieties of child, undead and trained creatures. Therefore, I recommend putting the red arrow in another corner so there isn't any overlap. Alternatively, all of the giant creatures could have red symbols. A giant child deer would have a red "kid" in the corner. A giant undead polar bear would have a red skull in the corner. etc etc etc.

Another thing...The skull symbol feels a bit redundant considering the creature is already visibly green. I would consider removing that. Of course, this introduces the issue of undead frogs/goblins/lizards looking indistinguishable from their normal counterparts. My solution in GemSet was to have all normal creatures facing right, and the undead varieties facing left.

They have all turned undead so to speak.

Ah...ah ha ha ha ha.........I'll see myself out. :-X

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think a more elegant solution could be have all animals face the same direction; then, have all child versions mirrored.
Similarly, undead could be flipped upside down, although I think having them tinted green with red eyes is already more than enough

War/hunting works well, giant not so much. I would associate "enraged" or "aggressive" with the symbol.
Maybe something like this instead?

CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1with previous.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback :)

Current set:

I made the giant-arrow like one of the suggestions by CLA (thanks!) and left out the kid-tag and turned them. The undead symbol IF'd like to keep, but if people think it distracting, its the easiest to be done away with.

Red icons are giant versions. Giant war-trained, giant hunting-trained, giant undead.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:07:51 pm by Meph »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

small_mammals_new

riverlakepool_new

reptiles

desert_new

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The icons work really well with those creatures. So... many... creatures!
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 187