Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Urist manages the fortress Imushudil - an ongoing dwarf fortress story  (Read 4745 times)

Thebtathtak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Beige Wasp
    • View Profile
    • Fortress Imushudil - an ongoing dwarf fortress story

Opening Post

Hello, and thank you for reading, I'm Thebtathtak "The Beige Wasp" and I will be writing up a themed Dwarf Fortress game.  Many thanks to all involved with the creation of DF, especially Toady One, and other's posts that I have read and enjoyed.  You guys are inspiring.
-
   I expect to post several times a month, every month, to update on the progress of my fort.  This is a thread about Urist the Manager, and her experiences at Imushudil.  The fiction that accompanies the game will not always match timelines exactly, as I like my FPS.
-
   Explicitly, I do want suggestions and replies.  I will not follow every single one, but I will read them and make attempts when it fits the vision I've got.  Please do not respond with attacks on others, or degenerate other's ideas, or even claim that yours are better.  You can be better than that.  Please do not post images without asking for approval (from me).
-
   If you want a dwarf (re)named after your forum name, or another appropriate name, please ask and I'll queue you up based on first in.  If you have an idea for a challenge for my dwarfs, or suggestions for the fiction portion of posts let me know.  If there is something that would add to the experience of the story, again let me know.
-
   Thanks again for reading and posting civilly,

Thebtathtak

Spoiler: Thread Edit log (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:51:23 pm by Thebtathtak »

Thebtathtak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Beige Wasp
    • View Profile
Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 02:48:56 pm »

Introduction

This adventure will take place upon the world of Issunnitom.  The creation was a pocket world with a 5-year history, the rest were defaults.  I am using vanilla DF v43.05.  Our dwarven civilization is Bim Urvad 'The Sling of Seals'.  Our mountain home is Unolcatten 'Soulschannels' and our mighty Queen Ustuth Erithtashem reigns with a steel gauntlet and Her mighty poetry.
-
   The dwarven sites of note are Unolcatten 'Soulschannels' and Oddomakil 'Cloisterpointy' both founded long ago.  Our civilization once had another site, Neblimul 'Browngold', however it is now a ruin, and there are dark rumors of an immensely powerful evil using it as a lair.
-
   There is much unknown of our world, the better for it to surprise us.  Of note, however, is our Queen's need for revenge.  She wishes to bring war with the elves, as she knows that they stole away her husband.  Her plan includes intrigue and drama, plot and murder (of trees).  She expects to lure the elves into war, and convince the humans to stand with Her, the tragically harmed party.  Unbeknownst to Her is that Her husband was actually taken by a night troll.
-
   Thank you for reading,

Thebtathtak

Images Below
Spoiler: Our Local Area (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Our Jungle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Our Mountain (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:52:02 pm by Thebtathtak »

Thebtathtak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Beige Wasp
    • View Profile
Prelude
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 03:43:55 pm »

Prelude
   And here we begin the story of Urist, the Manager.
-
   Within the tunnels of Unolcatten 'Soulschannels' in the home of Nomalibesh 'Roasting Staff', the Noble, Urist sat and counted the uncountable, and managed the unmanageable.  And she was quite skilled at it.  All while sitting in a most un-comfort-able wooden-chair.   Urist sat at her wooden-table and figured out ways to meet the unreasonable demands of miss Roasting-staff when there was a knock on her door.
-
   Well, not her door and not her table, for this was the counting and managing room of her master. Urist's meager room was hundreds of tiles far away and she generally slept in the dorm that Roasting-staff sat aside for all of her household staff.  As Urist was interrupted in her very important work, Uzolsodel 'Oiled Shield', the Preacher opened the door and unlimitedly stepped in to the dusty unfinished room.
-
   "Daros be kind to you this day," Uzolsodel, Oiled-shield, greeted Urist.  Daros was one of the deities worshiped by Bim Urvad 'The Sling of Seals', our civilization.  Oiled-shield and Urist both worship Daros.
-
   "Daros' day to you," Urist grumped back, flashing her incredibly close-set amethyst eyes at Oiled-shield. Urist futilely tried to recall her figures, as she grasped her weak hands upon the wooden table.
-
   "There are important summons for you to see the Master Nomalibesh," Oiled-shield responded, refering to Roasting-staff.  She brushed rock dust from her neatly combed pale chestnut hair then continued, "You had best go and find out what she needs from you." And with that, Oiled-shield closed the door and disappeared.
-
   Thus, Urist got off her chair, not hers really, one avocado wood chair of fourteen owned by her master, the other thirteen in storage, and proceeded to go and find miss Nomalibesh, Roasting-staff, herself.
-
   Urist thus resigned herself to the long climb out of the mines up to the clean constructed stone fort that Roasting-staff held.  She brushed the rock dust off of herself and attempted to look nice, presentable, and dwarfish for her master.
-
   And as Urist left the room, not knowing that she would never again see this table and chair, for this home was not to be owned by Roasting-staff for long.  And she thought, "At the very least a counting manager should rate a sturdy stone throne, not an elvie woodie chair."
-
   Thank you for reading,

Thebtathtak

Spoiler: Daros (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:37:47 pm by Thebtathtak »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: Urist manages the fortress Imushudil - an ongoing dwarf fortress story
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 06:41:09 pm »

or even claim that yours are better

But but but, what is mine ARE truly better   :'(

Anywho, welcome. You sound like an experienced lurker. So my usual introduction may be lost in meaning.

I hope to see your fortress thrive and and ultimately die in a blazing ball of molten glory. I request a dorfing of course.

Prefered Name: Ryukan
Prefered Skill: Military, any weapon will do, but I prefer Battle Axe

Again, I hope this goes well.

Welcome to Bay12Forums
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Thebtathtak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Beige Wasp
    • View Profile
Chapter One
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 07:51:55 pm »

Chapter One - 15th Granite 5

After months of day in and day out of travel, Urist was tired of keeping her skills up fondly imaging her old wooden table and dreaming of having good work to do.  She had spent the travel nights doing her very best to avoid the sky in the tents that the rangers provided.
-
   On the 15th of Granite (March) the rangers halted the wagon and unhitched the donkey and buffalo bull at barely mid-day, instead of the usual nearing nightfall.  They then mounted back up onto the riding dogs and rode from sight.
-
   For a while Urist wondered what they were doing, perhaps clearing a tree, or looking to refill the water skins... and she noticed that it, the water skin, was missing.  Luckily, she wasn't thirsty, so that was ok.
-
   Falling back to her habits she started counting everything she could notice, and she noticed that there were no weapons here, no armor, no food, and no drinks of any kind.  All that was left on the wagon was an anvil, some metal ore, coal, uncut granite, and two barrels, one of milk and one of pond turtles.  Where had the rangers gone?  At least some of the dogs were still here, and some cats too.
-
   So, meekly, and with reservation, Urist walked over to one of the soldiers, named Ryukan, and asked him about the rangers.  Urist had made friends with each of the soldiers over the long trip and she felt that he would know more about the situation.
-
   Surprisingly, he too didn't know what was happening.  He had observed the rangers denoting the terrain and the map that one ranger had carried.  He also noticed them collecting various things that they had provided to the expedition and packing them away.  But, he continued, Ryukan hadn't said anything because Oiled-shield had been sermonizing again and she was difficult to interrupt, at best.  All he really knew was that the rangers had taken the battle axe that he was borrowing to chop wood for the cook fires.
-
   Finally, Urist went over to Roasting-staff and asked her if she knew what the stop was about and where had the rangers gone to.  Roasting-staff responded that indeed she did know, and that they had headed home.  This was the site of Roasting-staff's new home.  Roasting-staff then went back to talking with her guards and personal preacher.
-
   It hit as Urist walked back next to the wagon... the rangers were gone, the travel supplies were gone, no-dwarf had listened to her about provisions, and now they didn't even have a pick to dig into the ground with.  She had assumed, and guessed, and hoped.
-
   So she tried to go to work, to manage the labor of these dwarves, but there was no table!
-
   There was no table. There was no table and there was no chair.
-
   Urist imagined a table, and she imagined a chair, and she started looking around for a place to imagine a fort, because she knew that none of the soldiers were going to just create a table for her to manage from without some real direction.
-
   And Urist thought, "They need weapons, they need armor, the need meals, and they need booze.  And mostly, they need Urist to tell them how to get all of those things, right now."
-
   Thank you for reading,

Thebtathtak

Big Images Below
Spoiler: Our Wagon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Our Future fort (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:04:16 pm by Thebtathtak »

Thebtathtak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Beige Wasp
    • View Profile
Dwarven Soldier One
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 08:13:16 pm »

Spoiler: Ryukan's and my Quotes (click to show/hide)

Ryukan,

Thanks for the welcome and you have been dwarfed with an Axe Soldier (novice).  You can see your dwarf below.  Yes, I have been watching for a while.

Thanks again,
Thebtathtak

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:08:51 pm by Thebtathtak »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 01:23:19 am »

"5-year history"
"founded long ago"

Hehehe

Cyan forest retreat? Ah, you looked post-embark.

That is a surprising pick for the local area. I'd usually go include...oooh a volcano. Gotcha.

The incinerated jungle, huh? Fitting.

Pretty metal-poor though, only adamantine available. Well that's the defaults for you :v Got to import and actually have metal be rare instead of something you trip over everywhere.

Doros is pretty thematic deity. Hm, wants one to get ocean/lake/river fishing fort....

Hm, wealth-generating embark setup huh.

Sandstone? Might have a stone aquifer.

Well, there's clay I guess.

Cool local geography with the volcano and mountain, I guess, though no idea what all the rest of the land is for.

Thebtathtak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Beige Wasp
    • View Profile
Chapter Two
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 01:51:52 am »

Chapter Two - 1st Hematite 5

And one day with great ceremony Roasting-staff did declare that summer has arrived.
-
   With that Urist finds herself a manual laborer, still.  And worse, she was in a knock down fight with chipmunk people, and one of them died, the chipmunk, not a dwarf, thank Daros.
-
   As far as the manual labor has been going, Urist finds that her weakness is still keeping her from working anywhere near as well as she once demanded other do so, as she fondly remembers working out schedules and keeping count of everything.  Learning how to assemble wood, burn it, shape stone, and operate a smelter has kept her mind busy and her back sore.
-
   Being in an outdoor, unsecure, remote, uncivilized environment has been worse.  There has been rain, bugs, and unchecked aggression by chipmunk men and women, and a gigantic hamster.  And now there is a chipmunk man skeleton just lying there!  At least she hasn't had to deal with any of her mortal enemies, the large roach.  That would be just too much.
-
   Among the things that she misses, and wants to bring back as soon as possible is a tavern full of booze and mugs, a work table, and a dry place to sleep off of the ground.  Would that Roasting-staff and Oiled-shield not to get the first 4 of anything created, by their rights, she would have had tables and chairs already in place down in the newly carved hall.  Unfortunately, she has had to make do with what they have, and trying to secure the meager supplies before the next attack.
-
   Urist hopes that soon they can be finished with the security of the fort and looks forward to seeing the rooms dug out for Roasting-staff and Oiled-shield.  For once those things are done she should be able to have a nice table and chair made for herself and get back to the work she was made for, managing and counting.  Just like when she was able to a few short months ago, working in a nice, dry, dusty cavern.
-
   Thank you for reading,

Thebtathtak

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:19:16 pm by Thebtathtak »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 02:03:28 am »

Hm, I think once the chipmunk people pack leaves the map the future ones might be afraid of you.

Did you check legends mode for Urist?

Thebtathtak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Beige Wasp
    • View Profile
Re: Fleeting Frames
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 02:08:30 am »

Fleeting Frames, thanks for the reply.

Work of fiction, creative license, excuse number 548, etc. Yes, years =! years, and I hope to work with it.  And Yes, I picked pretty much as you have seen, and I've only hinted at the theme sofar.  Safely, it doesn't involve metal.  No, I've not unloaded and reloaded the map since embark.  Might do that sometime.  Only one question, do you wish a dwarf named for you? 

Regarding no dwarf, got it, thanks again.

Thanks for reading, Thebtathtak
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:22:34 pm by Thebtathtak »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 02:38:16 am »

Nope. Not a fan of implying myself to be a dwarf with different life, experiences or skills - or the reverse. Though there have been quite some interesting narrations embracing the dorfing, such as in necrothreat and battlefailed.

Thebtathtak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Beige Wasp
    • View Profile
Fortress Update One
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 04:14:22 am »

Fortress update - 1st Hematite, 5

This is only a oral update, as of yet no-dwarf has produced the required substances that would allow me to write out the update.  That said, Roasting-staff wants this update so I prepared it and gave it orally to Oiled-shield.  As in standard notation, the topic is immediately followed by my assessed level of concern.

»   Dwarf health         0/10      No reports of illness or injury of note.
         »   Noted attacks   2/10There is a chipmunk man skeleton down off that cliff and there is a very injured giant hamster off in that direction.
         »   Fortress progress   9/10Our fortress, as I'm to put it, is a muddy, wooden, mess.  The forge is hanging on the top of a cliff, there is no food production to speak of, no alcohol is being made, and we don't have any functional rooms, or defenses to speak of.
         »   Food   7/10No production but the stocks seem to be holding up.  I say seem because I have no accurate counts.
         »   Guards   4/10They are here; they are doing menial labor instead of training because we don't have anyone else to do the work.
         »   Wood Exports   0/10Without labor, we cannot produce the required goods.
         »   Other Exports   0/10As before, and we should not export the limited food, weapons, and armor that we have managed to create.
         »   Morale   7/10Dwarves are quite tired of being outside, sleeping outside, eating outside...

Yes, I have more. We. Are. Outside...
         Fine, yes...

Morale is as expected.
         »   Other   5/10I don't know what is expected here, only that I was asked to report on it...

No, I don't know...

Oh, of course, then Oiled-shield did manage to train the dogs to protect the dwarves better, revised level of concern. 0/10

Yes, I will get back to work while you report this to miss Roasting-staff.
   And Urist thought, "The fortress needs order, labor, and less busy bodies telling me what to do with the supplies that we have"
   Thank you for reading,

Thebtathtak

Images
Spoiler: Dwarven Health (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Attackers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fortress (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Food (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Guards (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:06:53 am by Thebtathtak »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 05:19:16 am »

- Hope the war dogs actually defend.

- fort and food images are the same? Food is shrubs on ground?

- large military for 7 dwarves.

- oh wow that's a lot of dogs. puppysplosion?

Thebtathtak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Beige Wasp
    • View Profile
Re: Fleeting Frames
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 09:14:18 am »

Spoiler: Fleeting Frames' Quote (click to show/hide)
   Fleeting Frames,
  •    Thanks again for reading, and I fixed the broken link.  I'll need to fire myself from the quality control position.
  •    Yes, we have lots of military, it is a piece of the theme.
  •    Same for the dogs.
   Thanks for reading, Thebtathtak
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:38:01 pm by Thebtathtak »

Thebtathtak

• Bay Watcher
  • The Beige Wasp
    • View Profile
Chapter Three
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 10:36:19 pm »

Chapter Three - 1st Limestone 5

And Urist wondered, how did I get myself into this wet, tree covered, nasty jungle.  For she did not aspire to manage an entire fortress, no, honestly, she did want to, but it was a clean, mountain fortress.  With no trees!  And she was ever giving orders to chop down the rest of the massive overgrown lumps of unworthy overly yielding material.
-
   But what was she thinking?  Yes, how this travesty of a site became entrusted to Roasting-staff, and through her, to Urist.  Once she was summoned up to see Roasting-staff, by Oiled-shield, she made the long climb up to his throne room.  And after making herself properly dwarvenly in appearance, next to the misty-generator she had gone past the guards, up to Roasting-staff's throne.
-
   Roasting-staff had been preparing to leave!  She asked a new friendly looking guard-dwarf what was happening and he answered that Roasting-staff was going to go see her cousin's sister's cousin, our Queen.  Now, Urist was getting nervous.  What did Roasting-staff want with her when her Queen was asking?
-
   Thus, Urist asked, "Master Roasting-staff, how may I be of service?"
-
   And she replied, "You shall accompany me to see the Queen, of course.  Did Oiled-shield not inform you of my summons?"  And with that Oiled-shield looked down on Urist with a disapproving look.
-
   "No Master, Oiled-shield did as you bade." Urist responded.
-
   And a short while later Urist found herself in the rear of a squad of very nice looking soldiers, all following Roasting-staff and Oiled-shield on to the palace.
-
   Once at the palace, functionaries took them to a large anti-chamber to the Queen's throne room.  There they were once again cleaned up.  Also Roasting-staff's soldiers were asked to set aside the weapons they had taken to the palace.
-
   After a very long and uncomfortable wait with the group of soldiers that she had just met, the throne room's doors had opened and Roasting-staff was announced.  She had followed them in and watched as the politics were discussed and a dinner planned.  Urist was so amazed by the throne room, and tried counting the tables, statues, thrones, and more that it contained.  She found the style quite admirably dwarfy.
-
   Later that night she found herself seated at a long table, across from some of the royal functionaries.  They were discussing plans for an expedition into some volcanic region that the queen wanted.  They also discussed what supplies would be required for such an undertaking.  She did not add much to the discussion, other than that if there was not much metal to be found at the site, that lots of raw ore and coal should be imported from the dwarven mines here, as dwarves cannot function without arms and armor.
-
   Finally, once she realized that others were leaving the table, she took some of the nice food in a box and a full wineskin and headed home.  She had stayed up much longer then she was used to and couldn't wait to get some rest.  The following day she had been asked to accompany some rangers to the surface.  They had a wagon loaded and she was told to go with it.  Roasting-staff had volunteered her to this trip, and Urist hadn't been paying attention to the conversations enough to understand that was what was happening.
-
   Once she had taken time to think, she knew what was in the wagon, and there it was, ore, coal, and a few other things that Roasting-staff had liked, dogs, cats, milk, pond turtles, and strawberries.  Why hadn't she done a better job of planning?  Why had she spent all night looking at the craftdwarfship of the nice rock tables and chairs?
-
   Well, here she was at Imushudil, and it looked like Autumn had come.  So very little accomplished and so very much to do.  And Urist thought, “This place can almost start to be imagined as a true fort, with a very strong imagination.”
-
   Thank you for reading,

Thebtathtak

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:58:02 pm by Thebtathtak »
Pages: [1] 2 3