Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: ASOF (Game Thread) Day 1-Jao is useful  (Read 29483 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Todo el mundo ama a Jao!
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2016, 03:09:08 pm »

Anders was gobsmacked by Jao's heroism. He had fought in bloody combat before, but never had he seen such bravery as the golden midget had just displayed. He had valiantly thrown himself on the stings of a thousand beejits! So this was the "social interaction" he wanted to learn about... Anders even felt, before such a charismatic and powerful priest of Garl, that perhaps he would like to become a disciple of this wondrous god too - perhaps even be gifted a vegetable of his own choice to wear upon his  own head in solid gold. He paused briefly to consider this amazing prospect, and then remembered that he had to save Jao's life quite urgently.

"Arse?"

He felt he had a way to go before being able to preach quite as well as Jao, but it was a start.

Critical daggerslice MonkeyBee B!Then stand back to back with Father Jao in a valiant stand against darkness. Also keep up the Caern thingy.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 07, 2016, 11:13:10 am »

Emilia was stupified by Jao’s bravery. She’d been around the block once or twice, so to speak, but never before had she seen such heroism as the loveable swede-topped rogue had just displayed. He had majestically thrown himself on the blades of upwards of several beeghouls, just to save his comrade! So this was the “epitome of knightly goodness” she so wanted to learn about… Emilia even felt, as her straight crimson hair blew about her slightly in the stiff breeze, that perhaps she too should begin to preach the gospel of the bravery-gifting Garl – perhaps she too might even be blessed with a golden vegetable of her own choice to perch precariously above her piercing cyan eyes. She reflected briefly on this tantalising dream, but then remembered that she had to save the handsome Jao’s life with extreme prejudice. Emilia being quite beautiful, it occurred to her that they would make quite the striking alpha couple. She began to sprint.

”Feck?”

She thought that it might not quite impress Jao just yet, but perhaps her pale skin and youth would make up for it. In any case, it was a start, and she would fervently practice her preaching every sundown until it was sweary and powerful enough to snare her ma- gods, what was she thinking? To… to please her new-found god, she meant, of course.

Dash over to K8 to two-handed critical that beething, then throw self over Jao to protect him from further harm. Alternatively, if beething is already dead, commit healing upon Jao.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 12, 2016, 01:41:22 pm »

Anders wasn't exactly sure how to react to what had just happened in his mind. It was as though, for a moment, the sibilant whispers of his father had been replaced by a half-drunk marmot describing a rather raucous party in which Jao had been dancing on a table with an entire line of half-naked females of various species.

Worse, it had, for a brief moment, seemed impressive. He hadn't done anything he wouldn't ordinarily have done, but the sudden lapse in his good judgment was... disconcerting. It made him feel disoriented, and very curious as to why he was very sure an inebriated marmot had been narrating.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-I've got a shadow bridge to sell you
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2017, 01:23:58 pm »

SLAY the nearest shadowfecker with a Criticaldeath Blow!

Advantage 1 (Focused)
DC 14 vs 1d8+1d8+1d20 (6+2+6)=12

Like a blazing holy comet, Jao's hammer smokes through the air with righteous force, striking defiantly upon the ground, right near where the monkeybee was occupying and missing it entirely.

Blessed strikes don't grow on trees you know.

On the upside, that regeneration is kicking in.

5+3=8

Moubu Heroically Strode around the side of the building, quickly heading back to the bulk of his allies, although he hoped they could look after themselves the screaming wasn't really encouraging.

He gritted his fangs as he watched Jao almost stung to death by the enemies bees, but they were too far away for him to help immediately! Instead he turned his attention to the wiggling rope that seemed to be chasing after Wen-Tsu as she retreated back into the wooden hut. Kicking his speed from striding to sprinting, the half orcs long legs quickly swallowed the ground between him and the hut as he rushed towards and though the broken wall.

A wordless battlecry escaped from the half orcs mouth as he burst inside the wooden hut, his rapidly dilating eyes taking in the sight of the shadowy snake! With a feral snarl the warrior rushed forward towards the snake, bearing down with hammer and shield on the beast!

Minor Action: Upkeep Regeneration
Move Action: Move to E14 (I think this is 4 squares?)
Major Action: Use Might 5 to make a Damaging Attack on the shadowsnake.
Move Action (cont): If the shadowsnake dies use last bit of movement to move to F13

Spoiler: Interrupt Triggers (click to show/hide)

DC 14 vs 2d6+1d20 (3+5+10)=18

Moubu, meanwhile, uses his entirely mundane strength to batter the shadow-snake into shadow-bits, saving wen-tsu from an admittedly minor foe.

"Snakes... why did it have to be snakes?!"

She made a scowl of determination, and clapped her hands together. The ground rumbled, and two hands formed to clap the snake's shadowy head between them.

"Ha! Take that, you scaly shadowy scumbag!"

If the snake is destroyed, hold still
If it isn't, cheese it out the broken wall to d20 or close as

Wen-Tsu uses moon cheese tactics (Did you know that moon cheese is actually red, not green-popular misconception) to rapidly flee from no danger whatsoever. At least she's further away now!

Anders was gobsmacked by Jao's heroism. He had fought in bloody combat before, but never had he seen such bravery as the golden midget had just displayed. He had valiantly thrown himself on the stings of a thousand beejits! So this was the "social interaction" he wanted to learn about... Anders even felt, before such a charismatic and powerful priest of Garl, that perhaps he would like to become a disciple of this wondrous god too - perhaps even be gifted a vegetable of his own choice to wear upon his  own head in solid gold. He paused briefly to consider this amazing prospect, and then remembered that he had to save Jao's life quite urgently.

"Arse?"

He felt he had a way to go before being able to preach quite as well as Jao, but it was a start.

Critical daggerslice MonkeyBee B!Then stand back to back with Father Jao in a valiant stand against darkness. Also keep up the Caern thingy.

Advantage 1 (Lethal Strike)
DC 14 vs 3d6+1d20 (6+1+3+12)=21

Anders spare Jao's inadequate combat skills by finishing the shadow-bee off in such a manner that it seems they were really working together the whole time. Surely, Jao only pretended to miss!

Hmm, must have some of that gobsmackery still lingering...

Emilia was stupified by Jao’s bravery. She’d been around the block once or twice, so to speak, but never before had she seen such heroism as the loveable swede-topped rogue had just displayed. He had majestically thrown himself on the blades of upwards of several beeghouls, just to save his comrade! So this was the “epitome of knightly goodness” she so wanted to learn about… Emilia even felt, as her straight crimson hair blew about her slightly in the stiff breeze, that perhaps she too should begin to preach the gospel of the bravery-gifting Garl – perhaps she too might even be blessed with a golden vegetable of her own choice to perch precariously above her piercing cyan eyes. She reflected briefly on this tantalising dream, but then remembered that she had to save the handsome Jao’s life with extreme prejudice. Emilia being quite beautiful, it occurred to her that they would make quite the striking alpha couple. She began to sprint.

”Feck?”

She thought that it might not quite impress Jao just yet, but perhaps her pale skin and youth would make up for it. In any case, it was a start, and she would fervently practice her preaching every sundown until it was sweary and powerful enough to snare her ma- gods, what was she thinking? To… to please her new-found god, she meant, of course.

Dash over to K8 to two-handed critical that beething, then throw self over Jao to protect him from further harm. Alternatively, if beething is already dead, commit healing upon Jao.

Emilia only arrives in time to give Jao a more-than friendly healing hug...

Healing Boon Rank 2
DC 14 vs 1d8+1d20 (5+2)=7

Her inner common sense returns and causes to her shy away, though, tsundere style-before true love can blossom like the rising sun over the western sea.

Much shame! A pitiful display.

Both Caerns quickly looked to the side and, assuming three of his companions could handle themselves against the snake, charged off in Jao's direction.

"COWARDS!" "RRAAAAHHHH!" The two-man stampede of muscle, stone and metal announced their arrival at the halfling's position with roaring and righteous fury, the illusion swinging his ax at the bee like a madman while the real half-golem tried to cast a healing spell.
Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Healing Boon Rank 3
DC 16 vs 1d8+1d20 (8+13)=21

Caern needs no love to heal, just his insane rage!

1d8=2

Jao regrows a few teeth he's lost recently. No dental bill required!

The other Caern has nothing left to squish, which is a shame.

The Shadow, having been somewhat reduced, withdraws itself rapidly in the face of the parties-drawing the two remaining pillars into the sky to merge with it's large body...

What comes down in their place, hardly seems like a monster at all. It's a woman. At least, the image of one-it seems far more defined physically than the mimics you have fought just now, and the voice is definitely different-as if she speaking through the shadow from some medium...little can said of her in detail-she is young, hardly 20-all color seems to be washed out into veins of black and white, and her shapely body is covered in a long, hooded cloak decorated with small animal bones. Sort of standard villainy, there?

Her tones are dour and formal, with little emotional emphasis...

"Well done. I am pleased you have fought with courage and tenacity, befitting heroes of old. It may be yet that this land is delivered from the evil which plagues it...if you are willing to go further, than anyone before...I will speak but a moment, for my powers of concentration are not as great as my mistress..."

Needless to say, this doesn't make much sense. She continues after a moment.

"...The Shadows are not my creation, nor my mistress. We do not control them, but we do influence them, to feed as far away from the tribes of sentients as we can-or even to speak through them. We did not mean for them to attack you...and while your actions have done little enough damage, they are somewhat weaker now. We use these evil means to guide the evil away. For this I thank you, even If I do not expect you to believe...

There is a path that saves this land and yourselves, but it is also your choice to seek it. Know only we-me and my mistress-know the truth of the 'Star Once Fallen', which has plagued this island for nearly a decade... One side of the war would use it as a weapon, the other would venerate and protect it...both, will lead to disaster...not only for here, but for the world."

She spreads her arms.

"We could be allies, despite this...misunderstanding. There is a mystic spring near the camp of man-beings, known as the Wapungo. Their chief knows it well. Visit it, and we may give you answers you are seeking. Otherwise, farewell...and let us never meet as foes, for we know nothing like mercy. The work we do here is too important...

...Ah. I have been granted enough power to hold, yet another moment. Would you then speak to me, here and now?"

Overhead, the dark cloud from which the shadows emanated, retreats Northward, giving you all a breath of relief. It's very presence was appalling.

With a dark shimmer, the shadow-woman turns into ordinary shadow, but maintains her form-hands folded, patience manifest, head cocked at a leftward angle, displaying curiosity maybe. There is little feel of the evil you felt before, in the image she inhabits now...but, It doesn't seem she'll stay around much longer, in an case. Already it is fading away, like the after image of bright light against your eyes.

What's to be said?

Meanwhile, Grik peers from behind one of the houses a few feet away, obviously terrified. He must have hid during the entire fight.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:30:55 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2017, 02:02:47 pm »

"Oh, oh!"
Wen-Tsu hopped as she raised a hand.
"I have a few! What's your name? Why do you dress like a villain of a story, with all the bones and things? What's the Star Once Fallen? If the shadow-thingy was away from sentient people, why was it in a village? "
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:44 pm »

"...The bones? Ah, I suppose it would look unseemly to you...they merely help channel the power needed to control the shadows. Death answering death. To prevent death...the cloak, merely a...fashion statement. Black is very...slimming?

...As for the Star, you can ask the little one who has latched on to you...or look for yourself, if you travel far enough up the river...I can say it landed here some ten years ago...a blazing Star, falling from the sky...splitting the Island into two, metaphorically and literally...carrying a horrible contagion inside it...one that has infected the entire population of this island. It is an egg, in truth. One you wouldn't want to see hatch...it must be destroyed...for it very much wishes to be allowed to mature...

...And, this village has not been inhabited for a very long time. The Darkness killed everyone who lived here, though it might surprise you to know it has little relation to the evil, residing within the Star. A strange coincidence, or perhaps not...the darkness still feeds off the scraps it left behind...but, better here, than elsewhere....

...My name, is not important...but, you may call me Aisha..."

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2017, 03:22:44 pm »

A grumbling growl rose from Moubus throat as he listened to the shadow womans words. Resettling his warhammer upon his shoulder with a a thump as she hinted and alluded and said not much of substance to him. Twitching his head to the side with a slight frown he seemed to think for a moment, before replying.

"Vague but important quest and or vile trap to lure adventurers. I suppose it's a good thing for you that you found a group from the Legendary League. Moubu said with a hint of amusement in his gravelly voice. I have questions though. Who is your mistress you keep alluding too. Why can't we just go to the egg now, and crush it!?"  Moubu asked, swinging his hammer off his shoulder and into the ground with a heavy thud. "Also. If we help you with this... If we. Smash this egg for you. What would our reward be?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2017, 04:23:00 pm »

"...She is brilliant...one who would sacrifice everything...to get back what she lost...and to fix this broken place...she would not just allow anyone to undertake the task, for by it's success or failure, so is sewn the fate of this world...finding the pool will let you know the rest of what you need to know...and prove to her, that you are worthy....

...As the Star...it is at least 12 miles across, protected by accreted stone, earth, water, hostile arcane manifestations, and a Blue Dragoness with a love of dramatic tension....Hence her choice of nest...the Star requires a specific tool, used at the proper place, to have any chance of harming it's...inhabitant...find the pool, speak to us, and we'll help you find the tool...hmm...

As for your reward, that is obvious. There is almost no way to escape this island, until the force at the center of the Star Once Fallen is...dealt with...it was not mere poor literary coincidence that brought you here. The storm that destroyed your ship, was not a natural thing...the Star is active-hostile-and cunning. It acts in ways it can, to further it's escape. Perhaps it meant for you to foolishly join in one of the sides of the war. If you succeeded in ending the conflict, It would win...it has manipulated both sides into doing it's own will...

You can, of course, still reside here in peace-taking no part, awaiting whatever fate wills...or perhaps find your place on one side of the battlefield...their is no...geas upon you, to act or not to act...perhaps, you can even find a way to escape, where so many have failed...there is...always...hope..."

The woman begins flickering in and out. There might be time for one more set of questions, before she fades into a mass of dramatic ellipsis.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2017, 05:35:47 pm »

Wen-Tsu clicked her fingers to grow an apple, which she began to chew thoughtfully as she regarded the shadowy woman who wasn't suspicious still at all. She couldn't actually think of many questions to do with this evil star that wouldn't inevitably be answered with "We'll tell you when you get to our magic puddle".

"Wait, wait! Miss Aisha, don't disappear yet!" She gave her best beaming smile. "Black is a slimming colour, sure, but it's also really boring! You should try to be a bit more colourful. I'd say blue would suit you well, and it'd go with the white of the... you know. Bones and stuff.

....Who makes your robes? I'm kind of curious.

Oh! What's the name of your mistress, by the way?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:59 am »

"Hey there, Aisha. My name is Jao, Father Jao. I have a question. How you doin?"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"You know, I don't join any conflict without checkin' sides, and in case both are stupid I just don't bother. Now, you tried to get me, didn't you? It's hard to believe your pitch when that's happened." Caern pointed out after his body began cooling off, the hyperactive state brought by pumping himself up finally dying down. Illusion Caern just stood there like a yes man, arms crossed and head nodding.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2017, 05:12:03 pm »

Wen-Tsu clicked her fingers to grow an apple, which she began to chew thoughtfully as she regarded the shadowy woman who wasn't suspicious still at all. She couldn't actually think of many questions to do with this evil star that wouldn't inevitably be answered with "We'll tell you when you get to our magic puddle".

"Wait, wait! Miss Aisha, don't disappear yet!" She gave her best beaming smile. "Black is a slimming colour, sure, but it's also really boring! You should try to be a bit more colourful. I'd say blue would suit you well, and it'd go with the white of the... you know. Bones and stuff.

....Who makes your robes? I'm kind of curious.

Oh! What's the name of your mistress, by the way?"

"...Color?...sew the robes myself...! Scavenged...cloth...

Mistress...Hollens...great..."

"You know, I don't join any conflict without checkin' sides, and in case both are stupid I just don't bother. Now, you tried to get me, didn't you? It's hard to believe your pitch when that's happened." Caern pointed out after his body began cooling off, the hyperactive state brought by pumping himself up finally dying down. Illusion Caern just stood there like a yes man, arms crossed and head nodding.

"...Faith...trust...hard to come by...find...your own...truth..."

"Hey there, Aisha. My name is Jao, Father Jao. I have a question. How you doin?"

"Um..are...you...one...of...the...?"

She promptly winks out before finishing her sentence. Probably for dramatic purposes.

Grik promptly sneaks out from behind the building, burbling towards Jao.

"Hey! Good work plop! All alive! Belch! Grik also fight many shadow-beings while you busy! Over behind the old-home~" He says, pointing to where he was hiding, and making a stabbing motion, despite having no weapon.

"Destroyed-belch-at least four dozen, until twenty of them flanked Grik, and forced him to retreat, burp!" He says in Froglish, pounding his tiny chest.

Jao might almost admire the audacity of such a lie!

At this point, most of team members excluding Caern who have been paying any attention at all, have at least some idea what Grik is saying-if not the exact words.

Also, in absence of lawas post, assume auto-translation is in effect.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I don't follow the situation. Now that the shadows are gone, what's up?" Caern asked, crossing his arms much like his double and staring at his companions with an inquisitive look. "I think I'm good to go, by the way."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Almost time for a scene transition!
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2017, 12:11:24 pm »

Moubu shrugged at Caerns question as he slipped his warhammer back into his belt and the shield into it's proper place. "I don't think we know much more then you at this point. We found this little guy." Moubu said, jerking his thumb at Grik "Under attack by some of the local fauna. Some brutish, but tasty, Monkey bee things. We saved him of course, and learned that apparently there's a war of some sort going on between his people and some other local tribes. I guess the conflict that our shadowy friend was talking about. We were thinking about maybe helping his tribe out, or at least going to them to try to learn more about this island and how we can leave when the shadow things told us you were here. I guess they wanted to eat us as well, bit off a bit more then they could chew on that eh?" Moubu chuckles.

Moubu looks up at the sky towards the north. Letting out a slight growl. "Cowardly shadow. Someday there'll be a reckoning. But you're right, for now, we should leave. I guess the question is, do we head to the Wapungo? I don't trust this shadow woman or her 'Mistress'. But if she wasn't lying it seems like we'll at least need their help to leave this island. I think we should at least go and see what they have to say." Moubu grumbled.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Almost time for a scene transition!
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2017, 12:47:57 pm »

Grik seems to understand at least one word from Moubu.

"Wapungo, very bad!" He adds, helpfully.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23