Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: ASOF (Game Thread) Day 1-Jao is useful  (Read 29576 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-The Fog Lifts
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2016, 12:47:30 pm »

Caern was lucky he'd never been one to spend time considering philosophical questions, because the first thing the illusion tried to do was remain 'alive' for longer to explain the situation. "LISTEN, this-I'm an illusion or something! The real 'me' is in one of the houses, go get me quick! No time to explain but I'm a goner anyway so go get the real thing!" he shouted to get his message across to Moubu as fast as possible.

His major regret as he faded away was not being able to punch the bats' faces. It was funny, but despite knowing he was going to disappear, he felt actually relieved the reason he couldn't break the chains was because he was an illusion, not because he was weak.

Since the chains aren't real, at least free myself and point in the right direction.

You have no idea where exactly he (you) are. Only that he is definitely close by. The chain, at least, no longer holds you-with a shrug, your body floats through them as if you were a ghost. Gravity still seems to bind you, however you much you may wish to fly away...

You feel your life force is heavily bound to this strange man, Anders. It's not a good feeling, having your life quite literally in another persons hands. You feel if he loses concentration (or merely wills it) you will no longer be, and the further you are from him the harder it will be for him to keep you 'alive'.

All in all, it's not much of a life, but the fear that you will suddenly vanish is at least momentarily gone.

"Urrrrr-"

Jao first runs in a circle two or three times and then runs to the nearest hut thingy and dashes unthinkingly inside.

"Stony man! Where are you! Where them fecking bats put you?!"

1d6=6

Jao runs in six circles, before he realizes the GM put up a combat encounter map. Oh no! Now he'll have to give more precise actions!

((Buy Influence 3))

Anders reached out an placed a palm on the fading man's chest, attempting to force him to remain within reality. It was in defiance of what should be, but that was never really a concern for him.

It's not entirely difficult, like throwing a rope to a drowning man-most of it is reliant on him not letting go. His existence, such as it is, is now entirely reliant on you keeping concentration and a close proximity. Perhaps there's a way to improve this, but for now his body is at least no longer fading into the mists of the swamp.

Wen-Tsu looked around as the illusion faded, revealing a decrepit village. Skeletons... eurgh!
Well, where they'd kept their prisoner was where the illusion would have been strongest, right?

She breathed in the scent of magic, trying to work out where the illusions had been strongest.

Influence Check
+Perception Check

(Influence) 1d20+1d10 (8+13)=21
Vs DC 20 = PASS

(Perception, Advantage 1) 1d20 (1, 8)=8
Vs Dc 15 = FAIL

The finer arts of illusion magic are not unknown to Wen, but while she manages to sniff the powerful flows of magic around here, she is unable to locate a definite source for them. In fact, she feels the dark presences attempting to interfere with her senses...there's a lot of old magic here...a lot of bloodshed...

Wen-Tsu can continue her efforts, but it may evoke a more direct response from the shadow beings.

Actions, everyone! (No init until the shadow monsters leap out at you)
Spoiler: Big ol' map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map Legend (click to show/hide)

Wen-Tsu
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jao
Emilia
Moubu
Anders
Caern
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:10:15 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Two maps, One Post
« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2016, 01:22:23 pm »

Jao, action: one more circle, then open door at L5, go in, search! Call on ALL the fecking gods to help me!

"Come on, you feckers! You ain't bin much use to me recently like, help me find stone man, and help me not fall prey to no fecking eejits! Come on, oh gods, lest I never serenade you no more! Oh, bloody hell."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:47:20 pm by lawastooshort »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2016, 01:56:52 pm »

Moubu wasted no time, moving upwards towards the nearest hut and ripping the door open. As he moved though the village he once again started to call fourth from his inner well of vitality, heart beat increasing and metabolism rising as he started regenerating away all the little scrapes and bruises he might have gathered moving though the swamp.

Major action: Cast Regeneration I on myself using Alteration 3
Move action: Move to G3
Minor action: Open door and look around dat hut.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:26:32 am by Criptfeind »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2016, 05:42:57 pm »

Enter the hut with a door at L15. Just float through the wall at L14, and if the real Caern isn't there, keep walking past walls and check the hut with a door at M19.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 05:44:57 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2016, 07:06:59 pm »

Wen-Tsu shuddered slightly as the old sensations of bloodshed and misery oozed from the soil. She galnced around, looking for the shadowy beings, but could see none of them. Best to check the houses, then...

Wen-Tsu wasn't helpless, but she knew she wasn't a moon-mallet master, mashing mindless monsters marching moon-wards, so she turned to the nearest person she shared a language with.

"Miss Emilia! Do you mind sticking with me as we look around? I'm not really a war-rabbit... I can't even summon a moon-mallet!"
That said, and if Emilia agreed, she crept forward to the nearest window, to take a peek inside.

The moon rabbit peered in the window at D13, ready to leap back at the first sign of trouble. She focused, and autocast regeneration II on herself as an incidental.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2016, 07:45:46 am »

~~REDACTED~~
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:38:32 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2016, 11:58:18 pm »

Wen-Tsu's request took a very slight duration to be processed by Emilia's brain, somewhat distracted as she was. She shakes her head to clear idle thoughts and tries to smile winningly. This needed focus, god only knows what was inside these buildings.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought. I'll protect you, don't worry."

It made sense. Anders and Moubu could obviously take care of themselves, and Jao must have been confident or he wouldn't have ran off on his lonesome.
Besides, like she'd let such an adorable creature...Person?... Person - be defenseless.

Emilia equips a Longsword, holding it in both hands.
Emilia follows Wen-Tsu, guarding her closely. Move to [E,13].
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:39:22 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2016, 09:59:05 am »

Jao, action: one more circle, then open door at L5, go in, search! Call on ALL the fecking gods to help me!

"Come on, you feckers! You ain't bin much use to me recently like, help me find stone man, and help me not fall prey to no fecking eejits! Come on, oh gods, lest I never serenade you no more! Oh, bloody hell."

Needless to say, in this world, all prayers are eventually answered.

Random Pantheon 1d8=(1) Alteration
Random Alignment 1d9=(1) Lawful Good

While Jao has a dozen deities who sometimes amuse themselves with his pain, this time the Gnomish God Garl Glittergold-otherwise known as the The Joker, the Prankster, and Tricky Four G (hah)-seems to hear his fervent prayers. He hears a mighty squeaking voice in his mind.

Hey, you're not a real Gnome! Eh, close enough, right? You're like a Half-Gnome, which makes you only HALF appalLING. Get it? Hee hee! Figure you'd ask for help, so my advice is to lighten up and relax. Go to a party now and again, you know what I mean? Life isn't all about work. Don't worry, I'll be keeping an eye on from now on, friendo. We're gonna have TONS OF FUN! Also, try the cheese plate, it's excellent.

Wazoo!"

Jao's body takes on the consistency and texture of a gas cloud, filled with golden glitter and tiny ghostly bells, to the observation of the outside. He himself notices the world takes on a a ghostly hue-he can see both the place he came from and the place he is half transported to, which seems like some sort of massive after-life party hall.

Jao is invited to Garl's Glamorous Gala! (Insubstantial Boon, Duration ?)
Jao gains the Amused Attention of a Prankster God!

Quote from:
The target gains the ability to pass freely through all physical barriers as if they were unoccupied spaces. In addition, they gain the ability to freely move in any direction in both the horizontal and vertical planes at their normal non-magical speed (30' for most characters).

If concentration is interrupted or the boon ends while the target is inside of a solid structure, then the target is forcibly transported to the alternate plane they were traveling by way of at the time (typically the Astral or Ethereal plane).

The target becomes immune to all attcks that target either Evasion or Toughness, however, they also cannot deliver any attacks that target Evasion or Toughness.

He waves away an immaterial floating cheese plate offered by a Ghostly serving girl and hovers into the shack at L5, phasing right through the walls like some sort of gas cloud, or something.

Unfortunately it's empty. Except for all the bones. And the dancing girls!

This is getting confusing.

Moubu wasted no time, moving upwards towards the nearest hut and ripping the door open. As he moved though the village he once again started to call fourth from his inner well of vitality, heart beat increasing and metabolism rising as he started regenerating away all the little scrapes and bruises he might have gathered moving though the swamp.

Major action: Cast Regeneration I on myself using Alteration 3
Move action: Move to G3
Minor action: Open door and look around dat hut.

Moubu quite literally tears the door off, with flies away with sad little puff. There's no one inside, however, except for the dead. It seems a few of them quite literally died with their families, huddling together in death.

Quite grim, considering the content of the previous action.

Enter the hut with a door at L15. Just float through the wall at L14, and if the real Caern isn't there, keep walking past walls and check the hut with a door at M19.

Caern is disappointed to find that he is not actually a ghost, and cannot phase through real walls. So he's got all the drawbacks of being an illusion, with none of the benefits.

Bummer.

Also, there's no one in L15. :( Did I mention the bones?

Wen-Tsu shuddered slightly as the old sensations of bloodshed and misery oozed from the soil. She galnced around, looking for the shadowy beings, but could see none of them. Best to check the houses, then...

Wen-Tsu wasn't helpless, but she knew she wasn't a moon-mallet master, mashing mindless monsters marching moon-wards, so she turned to the nearest person she shared a language with.

"Miss Emilia! Do you mind sticking with me as we look around? I'm not really a war-rabbit... I can't even summon a moon-mallet!"
That said, and if Emilia agreed, she crept forward to the nearest window, to take a peek inside.

The moon rabbit peered in the window at D13, ready to leap back at the first sign of trouble. She focused, and autocast regeneration II on herself as an incidental.
Wen-Tsu's request took a very slight duration to be processed by Emilia's brain, somewhat distracted as she was. She shakes her head to clear idle thoughts and tries to smile winningly. This needed focus, god only knows what was inside these buildings.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought. I'll protect you, don't worry."

It made sense. Anders and Moubu could obviously take care of themselves, and Jao must have been confident or he wouldn't have ran off on his lonesome.
Besides, like she'd let such an adorable creature...Person?... Person - be defenseless.

Emilia equips a Longsword, holding it in both hands.
Emilia follows Wen-Tsu, guarding her closely. Move to [E,13].

Wen-Tsu is actually the person who finds Caern, Emilia close behind, alerting the rest of the group. He is definitely lying on the dirty floor curled up, as if asleep, and there is definitely a shadowy humanoid being hovering over him, sucking out his life-force.

Bummer.

This dark being speaks to Wen-Tsu from some place behind her actual sense of hearing.

"This one is ours. You would do well to flee. We will leave you the scraps."

Meanwhile, the Real(?) Caern, lying in the hut at C15 begins to regain consciousness. Sleeping here probably wasn't the best idea, in retrospect. Something seems to be happening...he is waking up from a horrible dream, where an evil doppleganger wearing his face was drawing his friends from the ship into a terrible trap...and finding reality is, that an shadow demon is floating above him, drawing something vital from his chest-and a Moon Rabbit is looking in the window at him with fear! He remembers her from the ship. And that one behind him, the swordswoman...?

Now, there are two Caerns! (Caellath controls both)

Anders is the only one who didn't join the wild Caern hunt, and as such he is the first person to notice four pillars of darkness congealing into existence at each corner of the village-B2, B23, O2, and O23. Tendrils seem to extend from the pillars, into more specific shapes...

Hmm, interesting.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Diversionary Tactics
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2016, 01:52:58 pm »

Surviving and making it to the shore had been quite a feat already, so Caern hadn't been too picky about where he'd get to sleep. That turned out to be a mistake, as he had the oddest of nightmares, so weird it seemed real. He suddenly woke up, eyes going wide open, only to notice reality itself was messed up.

He glanced at the rabbit—Wen-Tsu?—then stared at the demon floating above him, and it was obvious enough that something was really wrong. "What's going on here? What are you?" he asked, though not before deciding to act quickly against whatever the shadow being was doing before asking the Moon Rabbit what was going on. As far as he knew, good creatures didn't try to suck energy from your chest.
Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:34:30 am by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-The Fog Lifts
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2016, 01:58:55 pm »

Posted for no reason! (No init until the shadow monsters leap out at you) ((Map not updated because combat hasn't started yet))
Spoiler: Big ol' map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map Legend (click to show/hide)

Wen-Tsu
Jao
Emilia
Moubu
Anders
Caern

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2016, 07:43:33 pm »

Oh, that was a shadowy... demon... thing. Wen-Tsu wasn't the best acquianted with evil beasts (prefering the noble men and women who slay them) but it seemed pretty obvious that the shadow wasn't probably the best person to leave the golem-man with.

"Oh, evil thing! I don't want your scraps... and it's rude to eat in front of guests, anyway!"
That 'witty' (Well, she wasn't at her best, alright?) repartee delivered, Wen-Tsu made a defiant gesture. The monster seemed to be made of dark...

So Wen-Tsu weaved light into the wooden hand erupting from the floor, making it more ethereal than mundane. The light of the air distorted and twisted, wrapping itself around the wooden hand grasping the shadowy thing and binding it to where it stood.
Use alteration to inflict Immobile on the shadow once mr golem has gotten clear, then move out the way of the heroic valkeryie's heroics by moving to D12
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:31:35 am by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

"Ohhh not that eejit again. Half gnome! The bloody cheek, I'll- oooh, I feel funny. Like that time when- hmm, what was I doing? Let's see if..."

Jao concentrates hard, walks out of the hut, and tries to levitate directly 20 feet up.

From there, he presumably see the horrifying tendrils: OH DEAR GODS I must know something well-rounded about these awful feckers.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Emilia, noticing Wen-Tsu's slight withdrawal, understands that her short time as a guard had drawn to a close. Performing an acrobatic leap to crash through the window, she moves like swift wind towards the shadow monster's side, a single silver crescent slash to rend the darkness and cleave its neck in twain.

Emilia to a location adjacent the shadow being.
Basic attack, two-handed.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:32:17 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hearing that Caern had been found, Moubu made no waste in his time, long strides eating up ground as he swiftly made his way over to the hut.

"How is Caern doing? Can he walk? Fight?" Moubu asked, as he came up to the group, readying himself to fight off attacks from possible shadow beasts.

Minor action: Sustain Regeneration
Move Action: Move to E8
Major Action: Move to E13

Spoiler: Interrupt actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:29:42 am by Criptfeind »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Diversionary Tactics
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2016, 10:24:33 am »

"Yeah, I can walk. Probably fight too unless somethin' happened. What's this all about, by the way?" Caern replied as he stood up.
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23