Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: ASOF (Game Thread) Day 1-Jao is useful  (Read 29600 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Diversionary Tactics
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2016, 02:32:53 pm »

"How much gold you want? Eh? You've been suspiciously vague on that. I'll give you all the gold I have, if you free the beggar an' he's got nothing wrong with him. But you free him first, and then I'll uphold my fecking bargain. Otherwise Moubu Strength Of Many Gods 'ere is gonna bash your fecking skulls in, yer rotting piles of monkeyjunk. Free him!"

Jao smashes his fits into his palm again to underline his point, and then steps backwards to get behind Moubu. Also he searches his pockets and digs out a gold coin and pokes his head round Moubu.

"Look! Gooooooooold. But you can't bloody have it if he ent freed and if he ent right!"

Poke head back behind Moubu.

"Gobshites."

The being reaches to snatch the gold from your hand with a greedy motion...

But, Moubu pushes you aside before it can!

In retrospect, you're really lucky he posted so fast.

"I have a real bad feeling! Feels I'm gonna die if I stay here any longer, something's missing from me!" Caern shouted once more. It was hard for him to explain what exactly was going on, specially since he wasn't sure of it himself. It was frustrating and strange at the same time.

Caern has a feeling that the answer is right in front of him...

As soon as Moubu steps in front of the swamp beings, however, all his thoughts turn to a feeling of sudden, impending doom. In the end, he doen't feel anything at all.

As the swamp things block Moubus ways his eyes narrow dangerously and his lips pull back in a snarl, revealing his long canines as a deep growl rips fourth from his throat. "Аmaa Tat!" He shouted, moving forward. "Lying swamp scum! Whatever magic you have laid upon my companion will be cast aside, if not willingly then by force!" He continued forward, pulling out his warhammer.

If the swamp beings don't get out of Moubus way, he strikes at them as he moves forward.

Needless to say, the beings turn out to be paper lions-as soon as Moubu takes a step toward them, there's a pop, a flash of something that is the opposite light (A flash of darkness?), and the sharp smell of sulfur. The shadowy forms break apart into many, much smaller forms. Strangely, the swamp-beings who lured you here seem to scream in actual pain as they break into component parts....

The things that emerge don't look like swamp monsters, or spider-monkeys, or even reptilemen like Grik-they vaguely resemble evil looking bats, but their bodies are thin and wispy as smoke clouds. They vanish in all directions, before you can do so much as boo, and the verdant face of the village seems to vanish alongside them. They were never real, at least not in the way you saw them.

Stripped of it's own illusions, you can see the village has not been inhabited for years-maybe decades. Only mold grows here, in rotting roofs, and broken floors. Only now can Moubu make out the clear signs of a long ago invasion, battle scars to the face of the buildings, old bleached skeletons, and rusting weapons sunk into the marshy ground. There is no one living here now.

Caern is still in place bound to the tree, but it seems something is wrong with him...he's rapidly fading from sight, becoming transparent...

-------------------------

Caern realizes now, that those chains don't actually exist...but, neither do the arms that are bound to them, nor the person they are attached to.

It's a bit much to accept that he's an illusion. The truth is hard to face. He's an amazingly lifelike illusion, crafted from the thoughts and feelings of the real Caern-but, an illusion nonetheless. A particularly potent mirage, because it cruelly uses a portion of the living being to make it more realistic.

It's perhaps a mercy that his death seems to be relatively painless...still, the feeling of fading away into nothingness is not comfortable at all. Then again, if he never really existed at all, how could he really die?

With this knowledge comes a realization that the 'other' Caern (it's difficult to grasp this) is still alive. You (the illusion) can feel his presence...in one of the houses. He's (you?) are still alive, yes, but he (Myself? I?) might not be for very long. These evil beings (and he feels that these beings are truly, darkly evil) have no need for useless bait, and will no doubt siphon whatever life he has left if he is not found soon.

He (We) may will himself to exist, just a bit longer to pass this information along...even if, it's perhaps not much of a consolation.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:39:53 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2016, 02:34:14 pm »

"How much gold you want? Eh? You've been suspiciously vague on that. I'll give you all the gold I have, if you free the beggar an' he's got nothing wrong with him. But you free him first, and then I'll uphold my fecking bargain. Otherwise Moubu Strength Of Many Gods 'ere is gonna bash your fecking skulls in, yer rotting piles of monkeyjunk. Free him!"

Jao smashes his fits into his palm again to underline his point, and then steps backwards to get behind Moubu. Also he searches his pockets and digs out a gold coin and pokes his head round Moubu.

"Look! Gooooooooold. But you can't bloody have it if he ent freed and if he ent right!"

Poke head back behind Moubu.

"Gobshites."

edit: to clarify, that was meant to be before the above post...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:36:21 pm by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-The Fog Lifts
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2016, 02:35:29 pm »

((bugger, a minute or two too late))

"Er. You don't look so well, stony man. What've them feckers done to you?!"
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:37:46 pm by lawastooshort »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2016, 02:45:56 pm »

Moubu roars out as the illusion pops from existence and reality is restored in front of his eyes. Quickly striding across the ground towards the fading Caern. "Cearn! Stop fading away! We are here now, so become solid again and get off that cursed tree and help us get off this damned island!" Moubu orders the fading illusion as his long legs carry him to the tree. "By the bloody gods man, don't die yet when we just slogged across this nasty swamp to get you! Caern wouldn't just give up and fade away to nothing at the whims of these damned spirits, so buck up and stop fading! We're gunna need your strong arms around here!"

Use heal 2 via presence 3 on fake-Caern.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2016, 03:09:21 pm »

Caern was lucky he'd never been one to spend time considering philosophical questions, because the first thing the illusion tried to do was remain 'alive' for longer to explain the situation. "LISTEN, this-I'm an illusion or something! The real 'me' is in one of the houses, go get me quick! No time to explain but I'm a goner anyway so go get the real thing!" he shouted to get his message across to Moubu as fast as possible.

His major regret as he faded away was not being able to punch the bats' faces. It was funny, but despite knowing he was going to disappear, he felt actually relieved the reason he couldn't break the chains was because he was an illusion, not because he was weak.

Since the chains aren't real, at least free myself and point in the right direction.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:24:05 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2016, 03:21:31 pm »

"Urrrrr-"

Jao first runs in a circle two or three times and then runs to the nearest hut thingy and dashes unthinkingly inside.

"Stony man! Where are you! Where them fecking bats put you?!"

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2016, 03:24:07 pm »

Moubu nodded his understand to the fading illusory halfman, turning from the dying being (not that Moubu was likely to understand the implications of a sentient temporary illusion.) he quickly started to move among the buildings. Bursting though rotting doors as he searched for his companion!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2016, 03:37:36 pm »

((Buy Influence 3))

Anders reached out an placed a palm on the fading man's chest, attempting to force him to remain within reality. It was in defiance of what should be, but that was never really a concern for him.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2016, 09:44:30 pm »

Realising what he was attempting to do, Emilia lightly places a hand on Ander's outstretched arm, in a bid to stop him. She wasn't even sure why she did it, it was obviously the right choice for their group's goal to keep him in reality as long as possible, so as to extract more information. She just... Felt that she should stop him. Something told her that keeping things on the mortal plane that no longer belonged there was an awful thing to do.

"Don't. Errant souls should be freed to the afterlife, not kept here."
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:40:37 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2016, 12:44:46 am »

Realising what he was attempting to do, Emilia lightly places a hand on Ander's outstretched arm, in a bid to stop him. She wasn't even sure why she did it, it was obviously the right choice for their group's goal to keep him in reality as long as possible, so as to extract more information. She just... Felt that she should stop him. Something told her that keeping things on the mortal plane that no longer belonged there was an awful thing to do.

"Don't. Errant souls should be freed to the afterlife, not kept here."

"This thing was never alive. I do not seek to make the dead rise- they have had their stay, I want to give this thing a chance to become something more than a puppet,"   Anders said, keeping his arm firmly in place. "I do not seek to cheat death- this creation was never alive, but it should have more purpose than being bait for a trap. It should have the right to choose its path."   
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2016, 12:52:41 am »

"Its soul deserves to be set free. It's not even whole, barely more than a fragmented splinter" Emilia tried to explain, also keeping her hand firmly in place. "It's not that I'm not sympathetic, but keeping this thing here is just... Wrong. Not morally, or logically, not for any reason I can really explain. It's just wrong." She shakes her head. "You might not be able to feel it, but I can. I'm not sure why I can feel it, but it's there. Please, leave this thing be."
The circle is complete.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2016, 12:58:39 am »

"Its soul deserves to be set free. It's not even whole, barely more than a fragmented splinter" Emilia tried to explain, also keeping her hand firmly in place. "It's not that I'm not sympathetic, but keeping this thing here is just... Wrong. Not morally, or logically, not for any reason I can really explain. It's just wrong." She shakes her head. "You might not be able to feel it, but I can. I'm not sure why I can feel it, but it's there. Please, leave this thing be."

"This thing has no independent soul, not yet. If it passes, it passes to dust and ash. There is no hereafter for it, no absolution- it is an illusory figment built of nothing." Anders shook his head emphatically. "It deserves a choice, if nothing else. It deserves to have the strength to continue, to become what it might become. Would you deny it the chance to perhaps have its own soul one day, however 'good' or 'evil' it might become? To have its death mean something?"   
---

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2016, 02:26:55 am »

Wen-Tsu looked around as the illusion faded, revealing a decrepit village. Skeletons... eurgh!
Well, where they'd kept their prisoner was where the illusion would have been strongest, right?

She breathed in the scent of magic, trying to work out where the illusions had been strongest.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2016, 04:08:20 am »

"This thing has no independent soul, not yet. If it passes, it passes to dust and ash. There is no hereafter for it, no absolution- it is an illusory figment built of nothing." Anders shook his head emphatically. "It deserves a choice, if nothing else. It deserves to have the strength to continue, to become what it might become. Would you deny it the chance to perhaps have its own soul one day, however 'good' or 'evil' it might become? To have its death mean something?"   

Emilia shakes her head once more. She wasn't sure why her conviction that this was a bad idea was so strong...

"What it might become is nothing. You underestimate how difficult it is to gain a soul, but..." She sighs. "I'll let the thing itself decide."

It took a great deal of fighting against her instincts to allow that concession, but Emilia managed it.
The circle is complete.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2016, 12:22:51 pm »

"Calling me 'thing' over and over isn't too polite." Caern's illusion pointed out. "And it's not like I want to die, but it's not a real death either. I might also be still part of me, so keeping me around might be a problem to my real self, right? Let me disappear when we find the real 'me', or maybe I become part of him. I've no idea."

"In short, less arguing and more searching."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23