Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Robot destroys British pound  (Read 8718 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Robot destroys British pound
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2016, 06:45:55 pm »

The pound has now crashed for real. Looks like the robot was just ahead of us.
Is the problem killer robots or is the problem that we've reached a situation where a nation's currency can lose 10% of its value in two minutes?
Yeah the problem is that we voted to make our currency a lot weaker.
Never provoke the EU, or they will bury you....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2016, 06:50:18 pm »

The pound has now crashed for real. Looks like the robot was just ahead of us.
Is the problem killer robots or is the problem that we've reached a situation where a nation's currency can lose 10% of its value in two minutes?
Yeah the problem is that we voted to make our currency a lot weaker.

Really? They seemed to bend over backwards to accommodate the UK...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2016, 07:06:38 pm »

I find it very interesting there is a split between those who believe the EU is being reamed by the UK and those who believe the UK is being reamed by the EU

The national leaders of the EU have been very positive and accommodating with the UK, with pretty good multilateral relations. The leaders of the EU have been very negative and expressed desire to cause hurt, but they got told to pack it in by Merkel. If there is vindictive currency play at work, it will probably be from independent currency speculators, since the national governments want a mutually beneficial arrangement whilst individuals don't give a/f and are unbridled by such restrictions

*Fakedit

Actually it just looks like rational market action at work, the sterling drop happens when a gov report talking about leaving the single market is leaked

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 07:21:40 pm »

The reckless and hardline tone taken by the government ("Hard Brexit") in recent weeks is seriously spooking the markets. There's no manipulation at play.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 07:24:37 pm »

Nah, better be honest with the markets now than to surprise them later with the inevitable

This way it's 2spooky4u and not full blown happening

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2016, 07:28:05 pm »

I find it very interesting there is a split between those who believe the EU is being reamed by the UK and those who believe the UK is being reamed by the EU

The national leaders of the EU have been very positive and accommodating with the UK, with pretty good multilateral relations. The leaders of the EU have been very negative and expressed desire to cause hurt, but they got told to pack it in by Merkel. If there is vindictive currency play at work, it will probably be from independent currency speculators, since the national governments want a mutually beneficial arrangement whilst individuals don't give a/f and are unbridled by such restrictions

*Fakedit

Actually it just looks like rational market action at work, the sterling drop happens when a gov report talking about leaving the single market is leaked

It has to do with expectation...

I believe that the EU should have dropped them like their hot. So their current attitude to the UK seems like they are too scared to admit the UK is leaving.

While, and I cannot really speak for them, I assume other people feel like the EU was going to basically lay down the red carpet for the UK and give them the VIP treatment... So their current attitude seems like they are making it as painful as possible for the UK to leave.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2016, 07:38:26 pm »

Don't blame the EU, they wanted to get Brexit over with ASAP. Their current attitude judging off the commission is fear, not of UK leaving, but of keeping the EU alive. Certainly Brexit adds to that fear, but it is not the sole root. Currently the Italian Bank crisis, Eurozone crisis, French econcrisis, Migrant crisis and isiscrisis is going to leave their hands full without even considering the eurosceptics that have been taking over nations in yurop past few years. Particularly of issue is that with the UK leaving, the EU loses one of the wealthiest nations most committed to EU reform, so overcoming bureaucratic deadlock to appease soft eurosceptics will be all the more difficult

So yeah don't blame the EU, they got their plate full and they can't do anything until article 50 is invoked and the process legally starts. It's gonna start soon, at which point everyone expects the EU to finalize everything asap
I don't know where you or unspecified others get the belief that the EU is giving the UK VIP red carpet treatment, it's quite impossible for them to do so. If the UK gets red carpet treatment and leaves, it invalidates the purpose of the EU, as the UK would get every benefit for no obligation or loss of sovereignty; this would encourage every yuro nation to seek such an agreement and would kill the european superstate project ded

Calling this their "current attitude" also seems to belie that the EU has been pretty consistent on their beliefs and attitudes, the only thing that has changed is the attitudes of leaders of national democracies, which represent their countries and not the EU

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2016, 07:46:44 pm »

*Fakedit

It has to do with expectation...

I believe that the EU should have dropped them like their hot. So their current attitude to the UK seems like they are too scared to admit the UK is leaving.

While, and I cannot really speak for them, I assume other people feel like the EU was going to basically lay down the red carpet for the UK and give them the VIP treatment... So their current attitude seems like they are making it as painful as possible for the UK to leave.
The EU more or less told them to do it quick, but as there is no process for the EU to remove the UK on its own, they need to wait for the UK to formally declare intent to leave, which they have yet to do. So technically, the UK isn't leaving. And the hope was more or less that they would come to their senses, realize cutting off their own legs was a bad idea, and stay. But as has been mentioned, lately it looks like the new government is intent on cutting off their own legs and a bonus arm for good measure.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2016, 11:23:10 pm »

Did you just coin 'isiscrisis' because it's amazing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2016, 04:57:18 am »

Did you just coin 'isiscrisis' because it's amazing.
Yeah but I'd be surprised if someone hasn't said it before, seems like an obvious thing to coin

The EU more or less told them to do it quick, but as there is no process for the EU to remove the UK on its own, they need to wait for the UK to formally declare intent to leave, which they have yet to do. So technically, the UK isn't leaving. And the hope was more or less that they would come to their senses, realize cutting off their own legs was a bad idea, and stay. But as has been mentioned, lately it looks like the new government is intent on cutting off their own legs and a bonus arm for good measure.
UK is handcuffed to the EU, whereas other nations have been sewn in as one giant human centipede
To this end the person representing the UK voted to leave, and so is in the process of dislocating its hand to free itself from the mantipede. The two reasons the government must withdraw from the common market are as obvious as the protestations of the UK market; namely that the EU does not compromise on mass migration with their common market, and that being a part of the EU common market would mean we do not set out external tariff rate with the rest of the world. If we were to remain in the common market, migration would increase and the EU would set our tariff rates with the rest of the world, even though our trade with the rest of the world is worth far more than our trade with EU controlled nations. It would be all the disadvantages of EU membership with no benefit, for this reason there could only ever be brexit - the full withdrawal from the European Union with the European Union having no say in the affairs of the United Kingdom, or continued membership with the European Union maintaining supremacy over British governance. Thus in this manner how the UK, the nations of Europe, the European Union all act, is all already predetermined

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2016, 07:14:01 am »

It's kinda funny seeing newspapers talk of his "star quality." One good thing I can say about him is that he's popular on Mumsnet and he looks like he's from Wallace and Gromit, very recognizable face on him. Pretty certain they're using famous to mean he's fond of the camera. With parliament dominated by May's Men and Corbynites who shun the camera in favour of actually working, seems the media is scraping the barrel for anyone they can get. They don't even have Boris cos he's off having a row with putin mandems

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2016, 07:15:23 am »

It's kinda funny seeing newspapers talk of his "star quality." One good thing I can say about him is that he's popular on Mumsnet and he looks like he's from Wallace and Gromit, very recognizable face on him. Pretty certain they're using famous to mean he's fond of the camera. With parliament dominated by May's Men and Corbynites who shun the camera in favour of actually working, seems the media is scraping the barrel for anyone they can get. They don't even have Boris cos he's off having a row with putin mandems

Look... "Star quality" is a very low bar to hit and famos even lower.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2016, 12:59:20 am »

Funny how the elderly and the uneducated voted to leave, while the young and educated voted to stay. It's almost like people who actually know what they're doing in a ballot box and who are going to have to deal with the consequences thought that the Brexit was a bad idea.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2016, 04:51:33 am »

Funny how the elderly and the uneducated voted to leave, while the young and educated voted to stay. It's almost like people who actually know what they're doing in a ballot box and who are going to have to deal with the consequences thought that the Brexit was a bad idea.
It's funny how the elderly and working class voted to leave, while the wealthy elite voted to remain and Uni students didn't bother to vote. It's almost like people who were actually alive when the UK joined the single market and saw it become the EU dealt with the consequences, knowing both the UK before and after the EU. This is at odds with Uni students who know only of the EU as per their professors' instructions and erasmus, of students who know more of Paris than Birmingham, who would much rather their predecessors and poor fellows disenfranchise themselves than dare put effort in themselves, who have everything financially provided for themselves above the uneducated plebians.

tl;dr
everyone but me is stupid, old people kill yourselves, poor people kill yourselves, only intellectual elites can vote

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2016, 04:54:27 am »

It's funny how the elderly and working class voted to leave, while the wealthy elite voted to remain and Uni students didn't bother to vote. It's almost like people who were actually alive when the UK joined the single market and saw it become the EU dealt with the consequences, knowing both the UK before and after the EU. This is at odds with Uni students who know only of the EU as per their professors' instructions and erasmus, of students who know more of Paris than Birmingham, who would much rather their predecessors and poor fellows disenfranchise themselves than dare put effort in themselves, who have everything financially provided for themselves above the uneducated plebians.

tl;dr
everyone but me is stupid, old people kill yourselves, poor people kill yourselves, only intellectual elites can vote

Actually from my knowledge it wasn't as clear cut as people suppose.

Sure more Students voted Remain then naught... But there wasn't that big a divide between those who did and those who didn't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5