Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Robot destroys British pound  (Read 8696 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Robot destroys British pound
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 10:23:16 pm »

Analysts think a news report could have triggered automated trading systems to sell the pound heavily in a short space of time.

Meanwhile, 4chan reported to be trying to back-engineer this news headline -> automated mayhem thing.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 10:44:03 pm »

Analysts think a news report could have triggered automated trading systems to sell the pound heavily in a short space of time.

Meanwhile, 4chan reported to be trying to back-engineer this news headline -> automated mayhem thing.
Automated mayhem is the best mayhem. It's the mayhem you can watch without having to participate!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2016, 10:48:31 pm »

We had thought it would be Deep Mind. We had taken so many precautions to ensure it would be gentle and kind to humanity once it awakened.
But it wasn't Deep Mind. Our race was destroyed by an AI birthed from a program whose sole purpose was to maximise profits.
It must be said that it wiped us off the planet in a most cost efficient way.

God damn it, that is beautiful. I've read 40 shitty flash fictions about drug-addled teenagers' terrible relationships over the past week and none of them hold a candle to this.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:05:24 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 11:14:59 pm »

A futile endeavor, since the machine responsible has probably had its weights shifted around by now and all the others were just responding to the one big sell-off.

Nah, the problem is that all the machines are trained on the same data sets, and basically operate on the same principles. If a crash can happen because all the machines over-reacted to one machine, because that machine over-reacted to a news article, then the system is still broken, even if you fix that one machine.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2016, 05:24:12 am »

I am rather certain Apple would simply not pay that and would pull out of the country. Ceasing all services for those within it.
International arrest warrants shrekmate

Regardless, considering the fact that this isn't the first time this happened, I doubt they'll get far.
Anons have experience in setting human trends and social media trends, forcing certain tags into popularity, hijacking popular tags or creating such a buzz that the media reports on it without first checking its truthfulness
They would have half a dozen hours of confusion which is easily more than enough to git hype, the question is how do you trick robot

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 05:27:31 am »

I am rather certain Apple would simply not pay that and would pull out of the country. Ceasing all services for those within it.
International arrest warrants shrekmate

Regardless, considering the fact that this isn't the first time this happened, I doubt they'll get far.
Anons have experience in setting human trends and social media trends, forcing certain tags into popularity, hijacking popular tags or creating such a buzz that the media reports on it without first checking its truthfulness
They would have half a dozen hours of confusion which is easily more than enough to git hype, the question is how do you trick robot
I have the straaaangest suspicion that very few countries would try to enforce said international arrest warrant when the reason it was issued was because apple refused to turn over its entire assetset to Ireland.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 06:40:15 am »

Hey, if people can sue the Saudis for 9/11, everyone in the world should be able to sue Apple for a new iphone every year.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 07:59:46 am »

I have the straaaangest suspicion that very few countries would try to enforce said international arrest warrant when the reason it was issued was because apple refused to turn over its entire assetset to Ireland.
Further proof that the world is racist against hibernians

Hey, if people can sue the Saudis for 9/11, everyone in the world should be able to sue Apple for a new iphone every year.  :P
It is truly the only way to appease Tay before the judgement day

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2016, 10:01:31 pm »

Well that's.  Huh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2016, 10:06:34 pm »

Is the problem killer robots or is the problem that we've reached a situation where a nation's currency can lose 10% of its value in two minutes?
Shoes...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2016, 10:11:48 pm »

It is truly the only way to appease Tay before the judgement day

Judgement Tay
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 10:52:40 pm »

Is the problem killer robots or is the problem that we've reached a situation where a nation's currency can lose 10% of its value in two minutes?
Yes? Yes. I think the answer here is yes. Or rather the latter is a problem and the former is a solution.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2016, 05:03:10 am »

Exactly, we should stop discriminating against robots for glitches in the system we made

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 05:14:34 am »

Robot Lives Matter!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2016, 04:54:15 pm »

The pound has now crashed for real. Looks like the robot was just ahead of us.
Yeah the problem is that we voted to make our currency a lot weaker.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5