Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A lord of the ring-ish roguelike?  (Read 5423 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
A lord of the ring-ish roguelike?
« on: October 07, 2016, 08:39:38 am »

Are there any lord of the ring-ish fantasu open world roguelikes out there? I know it is a tight criteria, but I'm just really curious about open world roguelikes. Are there any other fun fantasy no-goal roguelikes out there (of course other than DF)?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A lord of the ring-ish roguelike?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 08:45:13 am »

I think the older TOME games were based on lord of the rings, or at least it was named Tales of Middle Earth in the past

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 08:48:34 am »

I think the older TOME games were based on lord of the rings, or at least it was named Tales of Middle Earth in the past
I actually played it, but didn't like it cause.... actually I don't remember why. ::)
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:41:40 am »

... well, it's not open world, but there's Sil. It's definitely a LotR inspired roguelike, and by and large one of the better ones mechanically as well as being more true to the source than just about any other one currently available.

There's also a handful of *band variants based on LotR, several more thematic than the old ToME stuff was and still having a world map and whatnot. Forget what most of 'em are called at the moment, though. Pretty sure you can find a few over on the angband ladder, though. Can always browse around roguebasin, too, of course.

As far as I know, though, the closest to an open world tolkien roguelike you're going to get, at the moment, are angband variants, the older ToMEs (T2, mostly, with T3 to a degree. T4, the latest one, has diverged from the LotR roots pretty heavily) included. Fantasy based ones are a significantly larger pool to choose from, but it depends a lot there on what exactly you're looking for; like ToME, like ADOM, like Elona, or whathaveyou. Browsing around roguebasin is going to find you plenty, and you can pick and choose from there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 11:07:48 am »

Here to +1 Sil. It's a cool game that feels well thought out and allows you a variety of play styles.

There's no magicky magic, like fireballs and stuff, though, so if you're looking for that you'd best look elsewhere. The only magic in Sil is in the form of songs that have cool effects as long as your character keeps singing them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:22:32 am »

It's not open world but yeah, Sil is the best lotr roguelike. 

Tome3 is what you're looking for.  You didn't like it which is understandable because it's a *band and *band is an acquired taste, but it's the closest you're going to get to what you're asking for.
Shoes...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 12:55:04 pm »

Angband. It's literally part of the Middle Earth Mythos. Morgoth's fortress of doom. Etc.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 01:34:10 pm »

Angband is... not the most lore friendly, though. The original, anyway. Not as bad as zang descendants, but that's not exactly saying much.

Some the variants actually try, but as mentioned I've forgotten which of the various letter prefixes they are, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 03:26:30 pm »

+1 to Sil. It's based off the Silmarillion (pre-LotR stuff), is basically a dungeon diver, but is very lore friendly and mechanically tight.

If you don't mind a few fireballs and are looking for a more open world, try ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery). It's got an overworld map, plenty of locations to visit, and is tough as hell, even with plenty of magic. Probably more Eternal Champion or WH inspired than LotR (chaos corruption being the enemy instead of big bad guy domination), but it fits into the fantasy mould fine. A fairly decent amount of ways of playing it character-wise, so magic is optional.

Or just say to hell with it, grab a shotgun and load up DoomRL. When roguelikes are getting you down, DoomRL will cheer you back up :)

Better give Cogmind a mention while I'm on the "something completely different" thing too. Probably the most polished roguelike ever, with a main thread here on this board. Replace the words sword and shield with railgun and tank chassis and I'm sure you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:34:29 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 03:38:48 pm »

FURYBAND.
Full LOTR map
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 03:50:08 pm »

... FB's map is mostly identical to ToME2's, last I checked. It... also has things like Jedi. LotR friendly it kinda' ain't no more. Still one of the more interesting band variants, imo (also one of the few *bands I've actually beaten :V), but it shouldn't be pitched as LotR based. It's got elements in it but... yeah.
Ask not!
Ask!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 11:26:25 pm »

I will definitely check out Sil, I remember playing some sort of Band, I might look for it again because it was pretty LotR-ish.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 12:40:34 am »

DLed Sil earlier actually. It's awesome, and probably the best refinement of the genre I've played. Speaking of whig any LOTR-ish rogue like RPGs?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 12:53:22 am »

Angband remains the godfather of LotR RPGs but it's extremely loose and the lord of the rings stuff basically amounts to cameo appearances from characters that you kill.
Shoes...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 02:36:18 am »

It's not open world but yeah, Sil is the best lotr roguelike. 

Tome3 is what you're looking for.  You didn't like it which is understandable because it's a *band and *band is an acquired taste, but it's the closest you're going to get to what you're asking for.
I'm pretty sure Sil is also a *band

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: [1] 2