Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Phantasm Affinitas (6/6 players)  (Read 3610 times)

swordEnthusiast

• Escaped Lunatic
  • This text is irrelevant and so is everything else
    • View Profile
Phantasm Affinitas (6/6 players)
« on: October 07, 2016, 04:03:45 am »

Story

(set in the middle ages)

Since the days of old, humanity has been in constant conflict with the monsters that roam around the world of Arcanus. It's a vicious cycle of war and death. Many villages and cities were razed to the ground by the Apostles, humanoid-like monsters that had obtained sentience and sought nothing but the destruction of mankind. In the span of the 300-year war, the humans were repeatedly pushed to the brink of extinction, and at one point, the war was almost lost. Drowning in hopelessness and despair, the humans had exhausted all of their options.

The remaining humans gathered in their last stronghold, Sancre Arx. Exhausted and weary, they resigned to their fates... until a miracle happened. Something that would turn the tides of war. For a moment, the survivors thought they were hallucinating as they watched the bright, flickering flames of various colors rising from the bodies of the fallen. They watched on and realized that what they were seeing was real. The flames danced in the sky, filling the air with multitudes of colors before they slowly descended, seeping into and settling inside the bodies of those who still lived. Some of these flames even fused with the weapons that were lying on the ground.

The survivors were filled with overflowing strength and vigor. With their newfound power, they miraculously pushed the monsters back. Over the course of 200 years, humanity steadily regained its foothold in the world. The event that changed the war was called the Union of Phantoms, and that was the birth of the first Phantasms, Arbiters, and Arma.

Phantasms are spirits that rise from the bodies of the deceased, but only the ones who possessed great power when they were alive. Originally, they possessed the bodies of humans, but this brought a heavy burden onto the body and the vessel's life span would be severely shortened. Some fused with weapons, and overtime, Phantasmscame to inhabit only weapons. After the process was done, these new weapons would now become Arma: living weapons that imparted great knowledge and power to their wielders. But only an Arbiter may wield an Arma. Arbiters are humans with a high affinity with spirits and due to this, they have the ability to wield Arma without any repercussions. From a young age, they are scouted out and brought to the Academy of Sancre Arx in order to train them to their full potential.

You are an Arbiter, and this is the beginning of your story.

Character Creation

With that out of the way, let's get to creating your character!

Name: (First and last name)
Appearance: (What does your character look like?)
Backstory: (What did your character do before they were brought to Sancre Arx? IMPORTANT! This will determine your character's "Class", starting perks, and starting bonus stats. I.E. Your character worked as a Farmhand. They would then get bonus stats in Strength and Constitution and a Spear perk due to their background. Get creative, people!)
---
Level 1: 0/100 EXP
HP: 30/30
SP: 20/20
Strength: 5 [0/10]
Constitution: 5 [0/10]
Dexterity: 5 [0/10]
Agility: 5 [0/10]
Intelligence: 5 [0/10]
Willpower: 5 [0/10]
Charisma: 5 [0/10]
---
Inventory:

Gameplay Mechanics

Everything will be done through a d20 dice roll. Success depends on the difficulty of the event and your own proficiency. Bonuses from stats and perks will also be factored into dice rolls. Easy, common tasks will not require any rolls. The same applies to anything your character is sufficiently proficient in.

Increasing stats is done through actions. For example, if you train with a sword, you will earn points into increasing your Strength and Dexterity. Sparring with a partner can increase your Constitution, so on and so forth. Other ways to gain stats will be made clear as you play.

Explaining Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leveling up increases your HP and SP, but most importantly, you will gain a perk point that you can spend on getting perks. You can also gain perks from INCREDIBLE feats. For example, killing an enemy that is far above your power.

Other mechanics will be explained as they are introduced to the player.

PLEASE READ EVERYTHING AND READ ALL OF IT CAREFULLY.

If you've understood everything, then get to creating your character! Ask me if you have any questions. I'll be accepting 6 players. If by chance we get more than 6, I'll pick the most interesting ones.

DISCLAIMER: Originally started this on ArmorGames, but there weren't many people who wanted to participate.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:24:16 am by swordEnthusiast »

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phantasm Affinitas (0/6 players)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 05:33:50 am »

What level of technology are we looking at here? Middle Ages, or somewhat more modern?

swordEnthusiast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:40:54 am »

What level of technology are we looking at here? Middle Ages, or somewhat more modern?

Middle Ages. Basically everything you would find in a medieval setting, with the rest of the gaps being filled in with Magic.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 06:11:38 am »

Ah, shame. Maybe I can fix up my backstory a little bit to make it more vague about the time period.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 06:48:31 am »

Spoiler: The Aspirant (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 08:34:01 am »

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:43:24 am by Elvish Miner »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 08:40:20 am »

Spoiler: The Chef (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 08:43:35 am »

PTW.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 10:34:51 am »

Spoiler: The Spy (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:32:07 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 10:37:16 am »

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:11:35 am by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

swordEnthusiast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 10:55:58 am »

Going to sleep, see you all in 8 hours or something. If I get more than 6 players, I'll choose based on who has the most interesting characters. Also, leave your inventories blank. Don't worry, you'll get the opportunity to fill your packs with all the shit you need in the first couple of turns.

swordEnthusiast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Phantasm Affinitas (5/6 players)
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 10:15:32 pm »

I assume TheBiggerFish is going to be posting his character sheet later, so we're just short of one player. In the meanwhile, I'll finish up your character sheets. Oh and here's a short introduction to tide the rest of you over.

---

Turn 1
4th of Nightfall, Year 510

Four students stand in a row in one of the briefing rooms scattered across the Academy of Sancre Arx. There's a bit of a tense air in the room, but that's mostly because of the assignment that they're about to take. The students themselves are pretty relaxed in each others' presence, after all, they've been going through training together for almost a year now. Just when the stale air was starting to dissipate, the students suddenly stood at attention when a towering figure resembling a bear entered the room. The man was wearing a set of brigandine armor along with a pair of leather boots and plate gauntlets, and on his back was a large, double-headed axe. His brown hair was long and messy, and his beard was much the same. The rest of his face was covered in numerous battle scars. This man was their instructor, Sir Ursus.

Ursus walked onto the raised, wooden platform at the front of the room and stood behind the desk that was placed in the middle.

"Alright, cubs. You've been training and studying at this academy for almost a year. So far you've all shown decent results, but we have yet to apply these experiences to the field. According to the headmaster, students who have shown satisfactory grades within their first year are qualified to take their first field assignment. Today is that day. The task you've been presented with is--"

"Wait. Weren't there six of you?"

Ursus swept his eyes across the room, only to be met with disappointment. He raised a hand to his face and shook his head.

"It looks like we'll have to wait for the rest of your classmates. I swear those two are always running late..." Ursus mumbled.

---

Character Sheets
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:48:48 pm by swordEnthusiast »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 10:30:34 pm »

((I have edited in my sheet.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 10:31:06 pm »

"Uh... pity. Can you at least tell us what the task is before they arrive, even if we can't start it?"
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 10:46:17 pm »

I agree with John. What kind of quest will we be embarking on? Slay a dragon? Clear a dungeon? Help an old man across the street?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!
Pages: [1] 2