Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Hello, I have questions.  (Read 13389 times)

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I have questions.
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2016, 12:35:43 pm »

Neato.  I will keep making things out of bone then.

Just why cant we sell caged goblins i ask! ;)

I guess I can drown the nobles, or do one of those things, but keeping them as vampire food sounds like fun if i can find the vampire.  Might need to figure out how to drop food in a pit though.  Keeping a vamp around would make my fort unending.

I still need flux stone to get my steel industry on the roll, but I have a LOT of extra copper.  Any advice on the best thing to make with it?  I have lots of iron for tools and such.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2016, 02:14:15 pm »

Make copper blocks to train metalsmith skill, then clad everything in copper. Make copper furnishings like chests and cabinets. Make copper flasks for your military to use instead of waterskins. Make copper mugs for your tavern.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2016, 02:39:33 pm »

what do you mean by 'clad' everything in copper blocks? 

can you use blocks to make the chests and cabinets?  The flasks and mugs?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2016, 03:03:20 pm »

You can't sell captives 'cause dwarves don't accept slavery...

I'd hesitate about using copper flasks, as gold flasks turned out to be fairly heavy. Metal bars can be used the same way as stone blocks can, so you can build copper floors (and staircases) out of them (but they can't be engraved), and you can mine out walls and replace them with copper ones. Whatever you chose to build above ground can be built out of copper bars. Similarly, you can use copper bars to make furniture (except beds) and goblets.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2016, 03:52:56 pm »

what do you mean by 'clad' everything in copper blocks? 

can you use blocks to make the chests and cabinets?  The flasks and mugs?

I just mean make copper floors and walls. it's like you are cladding the rock walls of your fort in copper, yeah? Or build copper walls on the surface. As for the other stuff, no, you just use capper bars directly, you don't need to make it into blocks first. My point was that blocks are furniture. Making blocks trains the metalsmithing skill, but blocks do not have quality levels. A master metalsmith makes blocks faster, but not any better. So you aren't left with low quality stuff when you train someone up by making blocks. Then when they are skilled, you have them make high quality furniture out of copper.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2016, 05:33:07 pm »

Ah ok, Im using jet for walls, sandstone for floors (I got lots more of that than anything else) so I will make copper goblets and furnature. 

Found my VAMPIRE!  He is now locked in a room and stationed as a squad of 1 until I figure out what to do with him.  Tempted to lock him in with my nobles.  Not sure I want to destroy him yet.

What about ammo and siege weapons?  Copper good for them?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2016, 05:41:35 pm »

It is about the worst for edged weapons. It is tolerable for blunt weapons. and not bad for ammo.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2016, 06:15:13 pm »

Not exactly too fond of pure copper for decorations without it's dark red secondary color (doors should be neat, though), myself, on account of it looking brown primary by default, equal to wood. Though it has great alloys for colours in rose gold, black bronze, lay pewter (and brass for yellow if you lack gold but have zinc).

Copper is better than silver for edged weapons, which is better than wood/bone, but ...yeah.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2016, 08:00:54 am »

Goblets for now, tho rose gold might be a good idea.

Is there any way to set low or high priority stockpiles?  Id like one that stuff from the trade depot empties into, a catch all space, but not if there is someplace better.  So I can tell what I need to make new stockpiles for.  I know I can set some to take from others but it doesnt seem to work.  I made a separate booze stockpile but nobody ever took from the original booze one even after i disallowed drinks in it.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2016, 01:20:22 pm »

Make your high priority stockpile take from your low priority stockpile. Then the second stockpile will only fill up when the first is full. You can make a catch-all stockpile near the trade depot and have different specific stockpile take from it. You could even set up mine carts to take from the general stockpile to the specific stockpiles.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2016, 02:44:15 pm »

Alternatively, if they take different things, with dfhack there's labormanager (43.05, formerly autolabor2) to set e.g. food hauling to have higher priority than other tasks.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2016, 07:53:23 am »

Is the high and low priority an in-game setting?  Im soon going to removing all piles as I move into my castle but Id like the new ones set up right.  Need to look up mine carts maybe.  I know how to tell a pile to take from another, but i must be missing a step that makes it work.  Even with 30+ idle sometimes, none of the hauling seems to be getting done right.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2016, 08:10:23 am »

Mm...No, I believe said script has no GUI at the time, requiring command-line for that.

Though, No Job is rather lower priority than hauling, normally. Said hauling problems might be caused by - (o)rders, job being disabled (such as due having enabled migrants arriving with no jobs set), burrows, wheelbarrows in the stockpiles, stockpiles set to take from links only, military orders, bins/barrels stealing from the bin/barrelless piles and then causing cancellations for others or a path plain not existing, off the top of my head.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2016, 11:20:49 am »

Migrants with no jobs enabled still have hauling enabled, but no "real" jobs. This also means building is enabled.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2016, 09:45:10 am »

Everybody has hauling enabled, except a few oddballs (would they be the nobles?), but Im gonna delete every stockpile and start over once my castle is finished.  The blocks are making things go a lot faster than using stone.  Still wish I didnt have so much sandstone.

Traded for some flux and steel, channeling is working, enabled trading of forbidden items and could see all the things in those bins that wernt forbidden.  Ive got a LOT of bone crafts that made so I could take anything I wanted from the traders.  My war on the trees is going well.  Lots of food and booze.

My one issue though, farming other crops.  I tried setting my field to farm other things that wernt in the 'no seeds' category but nothing happened.  There another setting im missing or do they need to be processed first?  Tried cave wheat, cabbage, and some other things but nothing happened.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10