Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Hello, I have questions.  (Read 13379 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I have questions.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 08:46:47 pm »

Does anyone know if a severe lack of bedrooms stops migrants?
Severe being about 70% of population without a bedroom. For about 10 game years.
 I really need my migrants back!

Goatmaan
Really?
But sometimes I didn't use bed "rooms" at all, just beds.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 09:08:02 pm »

If you have over 3000 dead+alive the game stopped sending migrants in older versions, iirc, and not sure when that was fixed.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 10:53:54 pm »

Well my lack of migrants is one of theese, take your pick.
1. Lack of bedrooms
2. The very exploity "emergency supplies" mechanic where a lack of logs causes caravans to bring only logs and food. Maybe this blocks migrants too.
3. I've emptied the void of dwarfs. Wait..what?!

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 08:12:19 am »

Its not on my artifact list anymore, not sure now.  Is there a way to make a stockpile just for artifacts?  Other than just dumping them.

Beds are assigned now but I will check out the thing to do it faster.

An empty moat can work then until I get lava, thats the end goal and saves me from diverting a river.  Just need to learn how to use magma pumps once I find some.

I did the thing for the uniforms, some are wearing things, so its getting better, is there a strip naked command?  Maybe if I can force them to redress they go for the armor.  Also I disabled all other jobs for the military dwarfs so they wont be doing anything else.

I read in the wiki that constructed walls and floors dont get engraved.  That still true?  I hate natural rock walls, too chaotic looking and I might want the resources they are made of.  So I want to manually build everything.  That mean I cant engrave any of them then?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 08:59:50 am »

I did the thing for the uniforms, some are wearing things, so its getting better, is there a strip naked command?  Maybe if I can force them to redress they go for the armor.  Also I disabled all other jobs for the military dwarfs so they wont be doing anything else.

On military uniform, did you select "Replace clothing" instead of "Over clothing"?  Sometimes they are wearing too much clothing to fit any more armor over it.  It's generally easier to work with 'Replace Clothing', start with a simple armor uniform, then add clothing pieces one at a time to the uniform if you want some clothing.  One way to detect this problem is to go to military screen, (e) for equip, and look for the green check marks on each dwarf.  If a dwarf has a green checkmark for an item, yet you see it lying on the floor, it means he's claimed it but can't fit it on.  There is no strip naked command, however you can force them to switch between mil/civ uniforms by getting them to switch between their roles.  You can do this by toggling Active/Inactive, or adding an Inactive month to their schedule.  Disbanding and recreating the squad is the big hammer approach. 

Another thing to remember is that if you made a change to a Uniform, you must go back to the squads and tell them to re-equip that uniform if you want them to pick up the new changes.

In general, I find Active-duty military will ignore their civilian jobs almost entirely so it is not really necessary to disable their jobs.  To force them to Train more often, see the link I posted to switch them from Order: Train (10) to five Order: Train (2) orders each month, and make sure you have a Barracks with that squad set to (T)raining.  I don't think that's your issue though.

In your (u)nits screen, does the list describe your soldiers as "Soldiers", or as Tanners, Peasants, etc? 

No, constructed features can't be engraved I'm afraid.  Artifacts obey stockpile rules (ie, an artifact floodgate will get stored in a Furniture stockpile) so if the stockpile allows a quality check you can set it really high to segregate your artifacts.  Note that it is possible to tweak a stockpile to accept multiple item types - a Furniture stockpile can also later accept Finished Goods via the settings to accommodate a new artifact ring.  Rumor has it the next update will have display cases added to the game!  One final trick - installed artifact furniture is thief-proof and a great way to instantly raise the value of a room.  An artifact floodgate sometimes belongs in the Dining Room, not a museum.  :)
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 09:27:36 am »

I did tell it to replace clothing, they might just need a bit more time but I will make sure I got it set right again.

Some soldiers are having their job names changed and ive got them showing up as weapon dwarfs on the (z) screen.

How do I set the quality on a stockpile?  I do install furniture and such, my hospital has an artifact turkey bone bed. 

Sucks that constructs cant be engraved, guess I will be building down after all.  At least then I will have floors to engrave.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 10:45:26 am »

Having them show up as weapon dwarfs is a good sign.  In that case, does the (m)ilitary (e)quip screen show green checkmarks when you cycle through all your dwarves?  Some other reasons for not picking up a piece of armor when a dwarf has an empty slot is that the item may be forbidden, it may be the wrong size, the dwarf may be missing a limb, the item may be 'owned' by someone else (like an off-duty soldier), as well as the mentioned it may not fit due to other clothing on that body part.

Stockpile quality - hit (q), hover the stockpile and go into settings.  For Furniture you'd go to the Furniture section and here you can limit the stockpile to very specific pieces of furniture.  In this case, go to the bottom option "Core Quality" and disable all quality levels except the highest one (I forget if the highest level is Masterwork or Artifact).   Total Quality doesn't matter (some objects, such as a gem-encrusted floodgate, can have multiple quality levels and Total Quality looks at the highest one.  Artifacts are in a class of their own.)  Not all stockpiles allow you to filter by quality though, but I think all the possible artifact types do fall into stockpile categories that have a quality filter.

Engraving constructions:  Yeah, it does kinda suck.  I'm one of those OCD people that often builds my fort in layers that have no minerals, because the blotches of color annoy me.  Constructing walls and floors to fix the color create chunks of room layout that are impossible to engrave.  However, I've largely gotten over my need to engrave every single tile in my fort, and I save it instead to make certain rooms more special than others. 

Consider finding embarks with prominent hills or cliffs and using massive terra-forming to create "above-ground" forts by whittling the hill/cliff down to expose bedrock that can then be carved into a fort (and engraved!).  Use channeling only, and do it one layer at a time to avoid cave-ins.  Soil is remarkably fast to dig so you'd be surprised how much terra-forming even the starting 7 can do, and mass-digging soil is a crazy fast route to legendary miners.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:52:04 am by Werdna »

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 11:42:08 am »

lots of checkmarks, but some are missing still, all my dwarfs are healthy (cept for my guard captain who bruised his wrist in training, but hey, learned to make a hospital lol) nothing is forbidden, some stuff i got from traders so i got rid of it and just make my own iron weapons now. 

I know how to limit what items go in the pile but didnt see the 'core quality' option, will look when i get home.

there should be a mod to fix that

I am kinda doing that now actually, that was my plan, making the core of the fort and such now, once its ready im going to channel everything else on the map, though having the roof for farming indoors and out would help keep things safe.  though the highest layers are at the edge and away from where my fort at the center will be.  will produce a lot of stone to build things up high tho!

Spoiler, I never thought of that but thats insane, i was going to make walls out of some harvesting operation but molding it like that is nuts.  maybe later lol

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 12:30:55 pm »

figured out the armor thing, i set replace for the team leader thinking it applied to the whole squad, ive since fixed this for the rest and suddenly they wear all available armor.

found the 'core quality' option and got at least 1 artifact where it should be.

just a hair under 1000 trees on my map, my dwarfs are taking their time but they are getting cut down.  Once done I will start clearing the map so only my castle stands high.

another question.  If soil starts as outdoors, then I wall it in and cover the next level with a floor, so its all contained, can i still grow outdoor crops?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 03:23:51 pm »

another question.  If soil starts as outdoors, then I wall it in and cover the next level with a floor, so its all contained, can i still grow outdoor crops?

Pretty sure yes.  Above-ground crops require "light", not "outdoors".  I believe once a tile is exposed to the 'light' tag it always retains it even after it is sealed over again.  Folks traditionally cover up these sorts of farms with glass or ice ceilings but I believe this might be for more aesthetic purposes than out of necessity.  Just use 'k' to confirm a tile retained its 'light' property, I believe its displayed in the lower right.  If it is properly lit, you should get the above-ground crop selection from the farm plot menu.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 06:58:18 pm »

Pretty sure yes.  Above-ground crops require "light", not "outdoors".  I believe once a tile is exposed to the 'light' tag it always retains it even after it is sealed over again.  Folks traditionally cover up these sorts of farms with glass or ice ceilings but I believe this might be for more aesthetic purposes than out of necessity.  Just use 'k' to confirm a tile retained its 'light' property, I believe its displayed in the lower right.  If it is properly lit, you should get the above-ground crop selection from the farm plot menu.

Logs and stone work fine for roofing over indoor gardens.  Not very realistic, but it's a game.  The purists use glass or gems, something transparent or at least translucent.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 12:35:06 pm »

Ive just noticed, even with skilled dwarfs assigned to the job with offices, my bookkeeper doesnt seem to be doing his job.  my inventory is still just guesswork.  is he just never doing his job?  should i unassign him from every other task?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 04:38:44 pm »

Bookkeeper is a job that requires an office. If no office has been allocated no books are kept. An office is created by building a chair and defining an office from it (the same way you define a bed room or dormitory from a bed).
Another issue is that the default setting for the book keeper accuracy is basically to take a guess at it. When assigning a book keeper, you should normally also change the setting for book keeping accuracy from shoddy to completely accurate.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 05:37:58 pm »

Ive just noticed, even with skilled dwarfs assigned to the job with offices, my bookkeeper doesnt seem to be doing his job.  my inventory is still just guesswork.  is he just never doing his job?  should i unassign him from every other task?

To follow up on what Patrick said, go to the nobles screen, go to the bookkeeper position, and hit s for settings, then change setting to highest accuracy.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 08:01:45 am »

I got the office but I had no idea there was a setting for accuracy!  Thank you so much!

Is there a way to tell builders to use wheelbarrows to bring stone to their construction rather than go so slow?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10