Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Hello, I have questions.  (Read 13374 times)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I have questions.
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2016, 12:16:11 pm »

Squad - check military alert screen and make sure there is an A after the squad.  Have you set up a scehdule?  They will train more frequently with certain tweaks to their schedule. 

Artifact pick - it's worth a happy thought for one lucky miner.  Don't try to use it as a military weapon though.

Vomit/Blood cleanup - Good luck, it's just a super low priority.  The technique I've used is to set a meeting zone on top of it, that seems to get them to clean it.  I don't even bother now - check out the DFHack "clean" or "spotclean" command for mapwide and tile cleanup.  Best way to avoid vomit is to ensure that your dwarves don't get cave adaption.  This is the main reason I build a surface fort of some sort; my military trains outside to avoid cave adaptation, and I set up a meeting zone in a nice statue garden and that covers most of the civilians*.  Your problem will always be the super-busy underground dwarves that don't have time to dawdle on the surface - miners, engravers, etc. 

Animal fat comes from certain animals.  I always embark with tons of turkeys because they are cheap and can be turned into meat, fat, bone, and a hide.  Trade for larger animals from the caravans and you'll get some when you butcher them.  The kitchen will automatically pick up a 'render fat' job and turn it into tallow by default.  Problem: by default, tallow is used in cooking food - go to Z menu, Kitchen, find the tallow, and toggle 'Cook' to red, and now you'll stockpile tallow instead of eating it.  From there you need to make an Ashery and burn some wood into Ash, then turn the Ash into Lye (need barrels).  once you have Tallow and Lye the Soapery comes into play. 

* others channel down into the earth so that underground spaces are opened to the Outdoors/Light, then cover it up again with constructions.  Once a space gets Light it's permanent even if covered by construction, and that space will not cause cave adaptation, so people make meeting halls and taverns and what not under it.  The problem is you need 'Outside' to counteract cave adaptation, and this space is Inside.  So the dwarves will still slowly cave adapt from time spent in tunnels, bedrooms, etc unless you find ways to send them Outdoors. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:29:52 pm by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2016, 02:25:07 pm »

squad - It does, I think its working now, just did a lot of things to make them do it and not 100% sure what it was that worked, will go more slowly with the next squad to make sure.

pick- I guess I will find the best miner from the original 7

v/b- ok, traders dont seem to mind.  also, aside from my main fort, my deep mines are all external so anyone mining or hauling have to go outside.

good call on the turkeys, will look to getting more animals from traders.  i wish i could use fish, have piles of them.  i need dogs anyways.

can i request soap from traders?  couldnt find it.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2016, 03:01:18 pm »

Outside mines - quite doable in current versions but be aware that the game has goblin ambushes which I believe are bugged at the moment.  In other words, the surface can become a much more deadly place if this bug ever gets fixed in an upcoming version.

I don't think soap can be requested from traders, unless its been buried in the bars menu this whole time (I haven't been in there in a while).  You can request lye though, I often do that and skip the Ashery.  Soap's easy enough to make, the blocking issue is usually the tallow is all missing because it got cooked.  Soap is not used for vomit/blood clean-up, btw, it's for preventing infections and I think maybe some happy thoughts.  Infections won't happen unless there's an injury.  With sieges rare and ambushes gone, you don't need soap as badly - hospitals are mostly ghost towns these days, I suspect.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2016, 03:28:58 pm »

Goblin ambushes not being present isn't a bug - it's a raw change - raw subtraction - done to goblins, in .40.13?+

Other ambushing civilizations, such as kobolds (if you let them steal enough stuff, ex. in Roomcarnage), can still send ambush teams.

As for soap, if you don't have any expendable animals, a bit more complicated process is to make it with oil - possible on just about any embark, with Rock Nuts (Quarry Bush seeds), Olives (harvested from trees), or Cotton/Flax/Hemp/Kenaf seeds (aboveground crops).

Never brothered myself, though, since fat is usually common enough that I have, for instance, built half an local map tile sized landing platform entirely out of animal soap.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2016, 03:47:08 pm »

Did Toady confirm that raw change was intentional, and are those reasons still valid?  I don't think he ever intended for the game to go as goblin-less as it is currently, so I personally suspect it is not WAD even if the raw change was intentional.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2016, 03:50:05 pm »

Lately I've been setting up work orders to mill spare rock nuts above a certain number (usually about 2 dozen), since they would otherwise eventually hit their cap and harvests would start being wasted. I also buy rock nuts from every dwarven caravan that visits during the fall. This yields a fairly constant supply of both presscakes and oil, but requires the fort have a supply of empty jugs on hand (also negotiable via work orders). Once you've built up a large enough surplus of oil, there really isn't any reason not to use it in cooking instead of saving it exclusively for soap. In fact, the same could be said for tallow--maintaining breeding colonies of animals often involves slaughtering old ones on a regular basis, which should mean you have plenty of surplus tallow. Usually the bottleneck you run into will be lye instead of oil or fat, especially in a more mature fort.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2016, 04:12:51 pm »

@Werdna: Dunno, only started playing this year :v

But they would have had to intentionally remove that line while keeping it in other entities, so at the very least you might be looking at something like GDS case. Feel free to mod it back in yourself, though even with that I'd consider werebeasts far more dangerous than squad of goblins.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2016, 04:33:26 pm »

Oh, I play with plenty of ambushers.  Fortress Defense with 6-8 races enabled has always been my mainstay.  :)  With morale the way it is currently, I agree, werecreatures are more 'dangerous' as an event, but they are not a reliable event.  It isn't about that though, it's about an unnecessarily missing challenge.  Ambushers were a reliable threat that every early fort needed to deal with, and usually in a timeframe that occurs before Legendary military.  Ambushes forced either a rush to seal a fort defensively, or to armor your military to deal with it safely.  That challenge is now missing, you can see right here the result - there is much less fear anymore of having dwarves wander overland. 

The tantrum overhaul is the other problem, the pendulum has swung so far to the copacetic that none of this really matters anyway, there is little repercussion at all from losing a popular dwarf or two to an ambush.

I am shocked that you and Pat are newer players, you guys are walking encyclopedias and are a real boon to the forums.  Cheers!

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2016, 04:59:50 pm »

im sure i will figure it out soon enough, ive got a new and odd graphics problem now

before, when i engraved a wall it just turned fancy looking, same with the floors.  Now its making them look like icons and its a mess.  walls are turning into dwarfs, letters, tools, and all sorts of crap

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2016, 05:17:11 pm »

d->v to toggle that back off

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2016, 06:21:21 pm »

I dont mean the flashing icons that tell you whats selected, I mean once its done and they move on, its a mess.  I restored the other LNP I was using before and its working fine, same save. 

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2016, 10:41:19 pm »

Use d-v to select the "picture" engravings, and it will toggle back to plain engravings.  There's an init setting that can be toggled to change the engraving starting state, for some reason your LNP has toggled it.  Mine doesn't have the option in the UI so dunno how that happened.  According to the wiki:

d_init.txt has an entry called ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED, which can be set to either YES or NO.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2016, 12:01:08 am »

"NO" (i.e. different icons for each engraving) is the default, by the way.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2016, 03:51:13 am »

The LNP defaults engravings to start obscured, but I think lethosor is correct (as is usually the case) regarding DF vanilla. It's happened to me once (a fair while ago) that the setting was "spontaneously" changed with LNP, probably caused by an LNP update or a tile set change, with the latter being more likely.

JimmyAgent007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2016, 08:57:09 am »

Alrighty, I will try this again when I get home.

Oh, also had a weird problem, most likely a glitch.  Had some people die from thirst, looked around for them, found them in a tree at the edge of the map.  Can migrants spawn in trees?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:25:03 am by JimmyAgent007 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10