Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)  (Read 23670 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2016, 04:08:10 pm »

Both are fun. I just haven't learned the new system.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2016, 06:56:49 pm »

Possibly up for a game or two in about an hour and a half or so :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2016, 05:02:20 pm »

Will probably be playing games throughout the weekend. Feel free to post here (I get notifications) :)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2016, 07:54:52 pm »

Hah, at work now. 12 hour shift tomorrow. Hopefully you can get someone else!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2016, 12:25:51 am »

PTW. I just picked up the whole Wargame series + all the DLC for like 15 bucks the other day.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2016, 12:29:59 am »

PTW. I just picked up the whole Wargame series + all the DLC for like 15 bucks the other day.

I'd recommend playing the first game and possibly skipping the second. MP is all in the third game of course, and the SP of the 2nd game is head and shoulders above the second. The first game's SP is a conventional one after the other mission thing with unorthodox objectives though, so it's worth a go.

Also on the main screen, click the chat channel, and then there's a red (I think) button on the computer panel. It'll mute chat.

Trust me, you'll thank me.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2016, 09:06:57 am »

Yeah, I was really distressed by the amounts of overt homophobia, racism and anti-semitism. Really rather scary. Was expecting an older, more mature audience for this game :(

Once you've got a couple of missions under your belt/have watched a few tutorials online, let me know and we could do some matches against easy AI :)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2016, 09:36:42 am »

Aw man, that chat is quality, it's what gives me the motivation to get into games/the deck builder as fast as possible.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2016, 10:06:34 am »

Bought the pack too, was planning on going through them from the beginning but realized I was so crap I'd never manage that, so I finished the first campaign of European Escalation, (i.e. the tutorial.) and moved on to Red Dragon, where I'm still absolutely crap, but I'm at least not ramming my head into the same exact battle over and over again, after the first couple of battles in Busan pocket things vary a bit from campaign to campaign. Never in my favor, but it's still kind of fun, and in some ways I'm getting better.... I'll have strings of minor and even a few major victories. Still I'll just occasionally run into a horrifying, devastating loss that I just have no idea why I lost.

For example, the area north of Busan where you first have a group of K1s and M48s against a much larger group of tanks and Su-25s. I'd successfully defended that a couple of times by setting up a killing field with K1s and TOWs. K1s could take the occasional hit... until they couldn't anymore and seemed to be getting 1 shotted consistently.

The documentation and the tutorials for the game are crap and I find myself turning to youtube for instructions. Which I don't mind that much, but it still leaves me wondering what I'm doing wrong when I can watch people do so well and I simply can't pinpoint what I'm doing different.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2016, 10:27:13 am »

Yeah, there seem to be a lot of layers to this game!

Are you bringing in reinforcements on the strategic map? Some of the stuff you can get precisely counters what enemies have. It's also OK to reshuffle troops from the three territories around Busan so that you have appropriate counters.

To be fair, I tried playing the campaigns a bunch of times and the only time that I ended a campaign, I lost :P Still enjoying MP, and I think a big part of that is being able to build your own decks. For me, it really crystallised what role each unit can play in a battle because I get to pick what I think I need, as opposed to having to shuffle pre-made regiments around!

Again, I suck but I'd be up for matches against easy AI or other newbies :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:41:39 am by Anvilfolk »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2016, 11:12:09 am »

I am bringing in reinforcements. I'm even cycling depleted units back to Busan for refits during lulls.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2016, 12:01:21 pm »

Hmm, I wonder if you're just supposed to try to keep them at bay while you push - hard - up north. The idea of the campaign is that you close the push off from the North, not that you defeat the entire enemy forces?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2016, 12:23:34 pm »

Yeah. That's my goal. I haven't been too aggressive in the south. Although if the enemy leaves an opening I'll push it. I think I found where I was losing it though. NK has some cheap 40 point tanks that I out range easily. But also some more expensive 90 point tanks with much better guns. They were fielding them seperate and the names are the same except a following number at the end so I was just confusing them for the cheap tanks suddenly getting good and killing me.

My other big problem is managing air assets, both iffense and defense. Some of the maps are small enough and the planes so fast that there's never a chance to counter before they escape even if I keep something like an f16 or f18 on station. Attacking with them is an expensive gamble though.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2016, 01:17:59 pm »

I've started trying to optimise my air game recently! If the enemy air has AA capabilities, you time your launches so that they have just started turning and your planes can get behind them. Let them drop the any ordnance they might have! Other than that, ensure there's AA units. Even enough AA infantry (manpads) scattered around can make a difference.

Another thing you can do if the enemy does not have AA capabilities is go into the Gameplay options and remove EVAC after Winchester (no ammo). This way planes will remain on station and can use cannon to destroy further units (A-10 anyone?).

And yeah, those Chon'ma and Chon'ma II are quite different :D Against expensive tanks, guided missile airplanes or helos are really effective. Even if you lose the plane, it might cost less than the tank, and tanks often suck at attacking air units!

Also, ATGMs (like TOWs) are probably a sure kill if they get a side hit. I'm gonna start microing mine more, e.g. by keeping them on flanks with weapons disabled until they can get a side shot! Or just fighting them with infantry at close quarters.

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2016, 11:09:06 pm »

I want to play as Red Dragon but from what I can gather they're not very good. Does someone have some suggestions for deck building as Red Dragon?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13