Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)  (Read 23666 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2016, 09:19:05 am »

Those games just went particularly bad, is all. Some others go better :) I'm also relatively unhappy with my USSR deck. I feel like it relies on ATGM a lot, but most engagements happen within main tank range, and there's no chance I win that way. Also gotta figure out planes that work :)

I figure I'll sit and think about strategies for a bit, and hope the "offline work" will help!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2016, 10:55:16 am »

Redfor tankery generally relies on armour and short-mid range engagements, or massively outranging the opponent with the barrel launched missiles. In general, a Blufor tank will shoot faster and more accurately than a Redfor tank of the same points, but at lower price points they're usually more fragile and it's very rare to see an autoloader on them. Try to ambush through forests, buildings or hills, try to get first shot, and try not to engage at their preferred range if you can avoid it.

Oh, and avoid the T-55 and T-62 lines like the plague. The only ones worth taking at all are the ones with very modern missiles as a kinda tanky 2800m missile truck. Stuff like the T-62 MV-1 or the czech T-55 Dyna, and tbh even those ones are lacklustre. The rest are overpriced, slow firing and will be easily trounced by any Blufor tank of their price.

My favoured line is easily the T-72, though I believe some T-80s are also very worth taking. the T-72A (or M for non-soviets) is a fine cheap-ish brawler, good for toughening up a force going through a forest. The T-72B (or M1M for E-bloc) is a cost effective tank more than capable of either brawling down Abramses up close or shoving a couple of Svir missiles into anyone trying to approach across open ground.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 11:00:55 am by Burnt Pies »
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2016, 01:12:02 pm »

Yeah, when in doubt, get the T-72. Even the base one is cheap and good. Practically every single REDFOR faction has it too.

As you play you'll find certain playstyles that appeal to you and some that don't.

For example, you might find you really like micro-ing the super heavy tanks like the T-80U or you might find you normally just leave your tanks sitting somewhere in ambush. Or you might find that you only ever want to attack with one or two tanks at a time instead of a massive blob. Stuff like that.

Personally I like accuracy over everything else, which is why I tend to favour the Chinese tanks. They're glass cannons, but that works well for me as I don't want my tanks to miss.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2016, 08:07:29 pm »

I find that tanks are a bit too much of a point sink for one unit that can drop in an instant. They certainly have their uses but for the same cost, you can usually get four squads of an elite troop along with their transport.

Redfor definitely has no shortage of missiles, but I've been really getting into American infantry lately. Their transports are generally cheap and come armed. The major downside is the lack of missiles, but as Anvilfolk mentioned most engagements happen around the main tank rang of 1900-2100, so the 1925 range of the Light Infantry launcher does the job. They also serve as mainline infantry pretty well.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2016, 11:14:23 pm »

The Bradleys make up for the lack of infantry missiles in some ways. They combine fairly respectable armour, a nicely accurate Autocannon and a TOW of some variety in a single vehicle. Very decent for sitting in forests and hitting vehicle pushes.

I've never gotten along with the Light Riflemen. 1925m range means they're guaranteed to receive fire in return, and the relatively low velocity of the missile means that return fire might even hit first. And as soon as the unit is stunned, that missile's gonna disappear off into the distance. Plus they'll get trounced by any of the much more cost effective options most nations will bring to an infantry fight.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2016, 11:24:22 pm »

I would imagine if you wanted to go heavy into infantry, you'd probably prefer to play something other than the US.

Their infantry is... hmm... artifically gimped balanced-wise. The devs have to give people reasons to play something like ANZAC after all.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2016, 11:36:56 pm »

It's not quite so bad if you rely on the SEALs and Marines, which are top tier infantry-killers and a very solid general purpose infantry unit, respectively. The only area they're really lacking in is the long-ranged ATGMs, which makes them quite poor for holding a town vs a sensibly done mixed push.

Though yes, if I wanted to go for a Blufor infantry force, I'd likely go Eurocorps for Falls '90, Panzergrens '90 and the Milan 3. Or perhaps Commonwealth for the SAS, copious LAW 80s and varied shock squads. Redfor's got a ton of interesting combos too, E-bloc's got Kommandosi, Motoschutz '90 (And their super-rifle), Lstr-40 (And their super-rifle), Granatomet and Formoza, which is probably my favourite infantry lineup in the game. Russia's Spetsnaz and the 10 man recon Spets are also really good, and China's Li Jian '90 are pretty murderous.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2016, 09:08:26 pm »

Will be playing a game or two, but am super sleepy and tired and will be underperforming :P

Come lose with me?

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2016, 09:11:39 pm »

PTW

Also i love games like this. One quick question:

IS there a map where its on a global scale? Because if so id hole up in Australia. Works in RISK every time.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2016, 09:15:20 pm »

PTW

Also i love games like this. One quick question:

IS there a map where its on a global scale? Because if so id hole up in Australia. Works in RISK every time.

Not really, though campaigns have a larger strategic map. And some maps are entirely water, and some have water and land. Not sure any of this fits your particular description :)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2016, 02:27:26 pm »

I'm gonna be around for a while. Anyone up for some games?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2016, 03:03:39 pm »

Sorry, at work! Would be down for games later tonight, but I suspect you'll be working then?

Been having some fun games being carried by Burnt Pies :P Ozy and I did some little things here and there, but dayum. All hail Burnt Pies, our saviour! Umiman totally punches butt too (I prefer punching butt to kicking ass).

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2016, 03:10:40 pm »

I used to play quite a bit of Red Dragon and Airland Battle in my day. I was rocking the Air Cavalry deck, it was designed to rapidly occupy and hold cities--but it generally fell out of common tactical acuity and began to be countered with plane-heavy decks.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2016, 03:32:25 pm »

Sorry, at work! Would be down for games later tonight, but I suspect you'll be working then?

Been having some fun games being carried by Burnt Pies :P Ozy and I did some little things here and there, but dayum. All hail Burnt Pies, our saviour! Umiman totally punches butt too (I prefer punching butt to kicking ass).

Na. Believe it or not U had the morning shift. Tis werid as fuck. First time I've seen the morning in like a year.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2016, 03:56:53 pm »

I used to play quite a bit of Red Dragon and Airland Battle in my day. I was rocking the Air Cavalry deck, it was designed to rapidly occupy and hold cities--but it generally fell out of common tactical acuity and began to be countered with plane-heavy decks.
It's funny how the addition of planes completely changes the dynamic of the game.

I remember the game used to all be about blobs of fast moving cost-effective tanks and lots of strategic turtling. Lots of rushing and blitzing and stuff like that.

Now in Red Dragon, which the gigatonnes of planes? It's all about slowly advancing and finding gaps in the opponents armour. Lots of sneaky attacks and backstabs and spec ops. Then when you're confident the enemy can't halt you, you smash them with a big combined force. It really kinda reflects modern war.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13