Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)  (Read 23638 times)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2016, 01:21:27 pm »

Heh. That's amusing.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2016, 01:28:32 pm »

couple of corrections and additions there.

F&F doesn't mean a unit can fire on the move with no loss of accuracy. Firing on the move will still go by the Stabiliser stat. What F&F means is that the missile won't veer off and do nothing if the enemy unit suddenly disappears.

KE weapons get more powerful the closer they are. I think it's +1AP per 175m?

SA weapons are additionally inferior to F&F because you can only have 1 missile in the air at any time. SACLOS and MCLOS have this too. I have a feeling a few units have multiple control channels, but they're vanishingly rare even if they do.

SEAD missiles have no anti-plane capability, as they have no anti-plane range. They will only fire on ground units and ships.

Infantry fighting on the move is purely based on the stabiliser stat on their weapons. Infantry fighting each other in the same block also use the stabiliser stat on their weapons, and additionally will only fire their MG if it has the CQC trait. No guns aside from infantry MGs have the CQC trait. SMGs are naturally excellent at fighting in block to block combat, as their high rof and good stabilised accuracy is most useful in that situation. Carbines are almost as good, but I have a feeling SMGs have a hidden damage boost or something.

---------

Israel has a lot of grenades launchers, due to the Merkava IIA transport tank having a Mk19.

Autocannons are KE weapons, and as such gain increased damage up close. it's not uncommon to see a surprise short range autocannon burst obliterate a tank caught with the side or rear showing.

All snipers can hit helicopters. The canadian Recce are notable for being able to slowly plink down light vehicles and have 50% more range than most snipers, rather than slowly plinking down Helis.

Most weapons in the game cause the unit firing them to have highly increased visibility, usually letting the enemy spot them after the initial shot. A few infantry weapons are silenced, however, and this will severely decrease or even eliminate this visibility bloom. Examples are the Vintorez on the soviet Spetsnaz VMF, and the SMG on the chinese Li Jian '90

Honorable mention to the napalm rockets of the soviet Spetsnaz and chinese Li Jian '90. They're some of the finer infantry killing infantry in the game, barely losing out to the US Navy Seals and Polish Formoza due to their grenade launchers.

Edit: Autoloaders on tanks! Some tanks have an autoloader system, which means they don't slow down their firing rate as they become panicked. This isn't signposted anywhere. It's a massive bonus in short range fights, as knife fighting tanks will have a near 100% cth even when panicked. Pretty much the only way of learning which tanks have this is looking them up, but off the top of my head I can say any soviet MBT from the T-64 onwards, the French Leclerc, the US/German MBT-70/Kpz-70 and any of the Japanese ones aside from their cheap meatshield thing have it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:45:53 pm by Burnt Pies »
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2016, 01:55:20 pm »

Infantry fighting on the move is purely based on the stabiliser stat on their weapons. Infantry fighting each other in the same block also use the stabiliser stat on their weapons, and additionally will only fire their MG if it has the CQC trait. No guns aside from infantry MGs have the CQC trait. SMGs are naturally excellent at fighting in block to block combat, as their high rof and good stabilised accuracy is most useful in that situation. Carbines are almost as good, but I have a feeling SMGs have a hidden damage boost or something.
    CQC: Following is a hidden trait in CQC

SMG: +100% Accuracy
        BR: -50% Accuracy

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2016, 01:56:51 pm »

that's referring to fighting in the same block, not the CQC stat. No SMG or battle rifle has the CQC stat
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2016, 01:58:55 pm »

AFAIK CQC is just a stat the put on LMGs so players know they have stabilizers (fire on the move) while most normal infantry have static LMGs

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2016, 02:01:58 pm »

Yeah, basically what it means is there's two kinds of CQC.

The one explicitly stated in the game is there to show an LMG that can shoot while moving, which is excellent.

Then there's actual close quarters combat, where SMGs get a bonus to accuracy and regular rifles get a malus. This is not displayed in game.

Though personally I'm more a fan of napalm and grenades when it comes to dealing with infantry and I kinda treat my infantry as suicide squads aggressive recon. They only cost 10 with the vehicle after all. Go go reservists! Die for me and be a shield to the ATGMs!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2016, 02:10:04 pm »

It's battle rifles, not regular rifles. Battle Rifles are more accurate, less well stabilised and fire slower, but at longer range. Compare US Riflemen and W-German Jager to see the difference.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2016, 05:36:19 pm »

Will probably be up for a few games a couple of hours from now - as a heads up. Around 8, 8.30pm EST :)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2016, 09:59:27 pm »

Anyone up for a match or two?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2016, 11:22:30 pm »

Sorry, Wednesdays are not good days for me. Generally up for it most others though!

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2016, 11:42:03 pm »

Eh, no worries.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2016, 07:52:07 pm »

Will be trying to play a couple of games tonight.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2016, 09:25:58 pm »

Just got off work. I'd be up for a game or two provided my cooling pad works

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2016, 11:18:38 pm »

Played some fun games with Anvilfolk.

I've noticed that you guys keep saying that you need to perform better or something but you don't really have to worry about it too much. You can take it easy and learn at your own pace, I won't hold it against you.

I actually prefer having fun playing with you guys rather than attempting to tryhard some victories.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13