Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)  (Read 24455 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2016, 11:50:22 pm »

I've been fighting against Finland all day.

Gotta say, their "French-ness" is very hard to deal with.

They have all these things like T-55s and T-72s and trucks which makes you think "meh, gonna be an easy steamroll". But all of those things have insane guns. T-55s with Leopard 2 guns! T-72s with Leopard 2 guns! Frigging goddamn technicals with super guns! Their basic 15pt transports come with frigging Bushmaster IIs! They have a BMP-1 with a Bushmaster II as well! And all these units are so cheap.

And yeah, I nearly pissed myself when I saw that 120pt T72 that was obliterating my M1A2. Hell, even their stupid recon T-55s can handle my M1A2 because they have those crazy strong guns.

It got to the point where now when I see Finland I don't even bother bringing out the Abrams any more. I just use the Leopard C2s and the Chimeras.

---

That being said, their AA and air game seems pretty bad though. Every time I just run over them with constant airstrikes while my planes just ignore their AA.

---

Edit: Yugoslavia gets a recon sniper T-72. 65% accuracy, 2275m range, 15FV, 100pts, very good optics.

---

Edit edit: My Canadian snipers got owned by Finnish snipers.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2016, 09:00:19 am »

The White Death has come!

That being said, their AA and air game seems pretty bad though. Every time I just run over them with constant airstrikes while my planes just ignore their AA.

Yeah, definitely my unit there.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2016, 12:30:37 pm »

The White Death has come!

Yeah, definitely my unit there.
Is your unit ITO 90? That's what I saw here and there. I think it's a Crotale NG launcher. I think Finland only gets like 6 of those.

There were also stuff like ITO 86. I think they were IGLAs.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2016, 04:14:53 pm »

Doublepost:

Wargame has a big sale on Steam today. 70%. Discounts on the DLC too but I don't really think you need them unless you like the specific nations.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251060/

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2016, 05:11:58 pm »

Wargame has a big sale on Steam today. 70%. Discounts on the DLC too but I don't really think you need them unless you like the specific nations.
"I wonder what specific nations are those?"
"..."
"Oh, hey."
"!!!"

Blah my semester never ends.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2016, 05:59:04 pm »

Wait... the Czechs are in coalition with Yugoslavia, Poles are in coalition with Finns... that means you can't use those coalitions unless you own the DLC?
:/
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2016, 06:10:02 pm »

You can use the Czechs and Poles seperately, or take them alongside East Germany as Eastern Bloc, but you can't dodge needing to buy the dlc by using the coalitions, no.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2016, 06:33:43 pm »

Poles are in coalition with Finns

Huh, really? What's the theme here, 'former subjects of Imperial Russia'?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2016, 06:43:16 pm »

'former subjects of Imperial Russia'?
DELET THIS

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2016, 12:45:42 am »

So, I bought this a couple of days ago.  I've played some AirLand Battle, so I'm not completely clueless; however, I suck pretty bad.

Every game I've played so far has been 10 vs 10.  Every game has been the same:  All the good players stack the teams on Pact, NATO is half empty when I join.  Most of NATO ends up quitting ten minutes into the game and I end up with shitloads of other players' units which get curbstomped.

Not really complaining too much.  It was pretty much the same when AirLand Battle was still popular, though it was always NATO getting stacked, not Pact.  It's a good way to see some of the different units in the game, I guess.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2016, 01:49:49 am »

Pact has better commanders, better equipment, better everything. Face it, American capitalist scum!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2016, 02:02:11 am »

Pact has better commanders, better equipment, better everything. Face it, American capitalist scum!
I prefer to roleplay Canada against the rest of the world. We just wanna eat our pancakes in peace, eh? (Disclaimer: I am not Canadian.)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2016, 02:05:34 am »

The NATO way of fighting in Airland Battle has gone defunct. NATO used to be more about trying to occupy defensive positions quickly before launching counterattacks against heavy Pact assaults. Unfortunately, cities tend to be deathtraps now, and you had best hope that you're not going toe to toe with pact armor in the open fields. That said, you can still force tactical stalemates if you can keep control of the skies. NATO tanks tend to wreck when they get the first shot, so if you can deny Pact their air support, then you're in for a fun game of maneuver warfare.

EDIT: In the earliest days of Airland Battle, before Pact players realized they needed an air-spammy support deck to overwhelm NATO positions for assaults, I played a super-heavy air car deck. Drop an entire army into a city with enough AA to ward off smaller air threats and reinforced faster than Pact could whittle my infantry down. Medium tanks came in as support.

EDITEDIT: and the whole battle would literally hinge around wherever I held up, Pact players trying to isolate my defensive bubble.

EDITEDITEDIT: Red Dragon's maps also tend to be more open, with cities usually not positioned as defensively as they were before. I've recreated my air cat tactic, but it was a high-casualty affair on both sides of the matter. It might have faired bettered with higher-quality armor to take up key firing positions, but I think they would just get overwhelmed by the more numerous Pact armor.

EDIT^4: I think the biggest drawback of the system I was running in Red Dragon was probably the more rigid defensive lines I held. With medium-quality troops, I ended up just replacing them as they perished to hold the line. This generally led them getting whittled down slowly until there wasn't enough of a force left to pull off an elastic defense--they'd just get slaughtered.

I think for my next deck (whenever I play Red Dragon) I'll go for a sniper build... based around higher-quality armor positioned so as to hit the enemy before they can hit back, with medium/basic-quality troops held in reserve to counterattack without necessarily losing an important unit.

Not so much an elastic defense as I wouldn't have enough line-units to re-take positions, but rather a harass then counterattack style.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:24:50 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2016, 02:48:26 am »

The NATO way of fighting in Airland Battle has gone defunct. NATO used to be more about trying to occupy defensive positions quickly before launching counterattacks against heavy Pact assaults.
What is the NATO way of fighting now, in RD?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2016, 04:57:14 am »

The NATO way of fighting in Airland Battle has gone defunct. NATO used to be more about trying to occupy defensive positions quickly before launching counterattacks against heavy Pact assaults.
What is the NATO way of fighting now, in RD?
Um, kinda the same as PACT actually. But it really depends on the nation and your deck.

As a general idea, Israel likes to spam Merkavas, Maglans, and helicopters. US likes to spam planes and helicopters. Canada likes to be Canada. Commonwealth forces pretend they have the best infantry but they don't. France likes hit and run. Germany likes to smash things really hard but at a closer range. Etc.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13