Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)  (Read 23615 times)

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 01:43:03 pm »

It was a long time ago, but I proposed a formula for computing costs (rather than doing battle trials to create an artificial magic-number balance). From a programming point of view this should be preferred, but for game design (flavor) reasons, I guess, they settled for adjusting costs manually subject to subjective bias and listening to the complaints of people who usually could be found asking for nerfs or buffs (and the ensuing discussions with no basis in reality other than personal opinions). I remember that I usually lost all battles when I switched to RD from ALB, and that it took ages to fill up the red side in the lobbies. Then when I jumped in a year or so later I found that nobody wanted to play for the Wall Street guys, and that it was easy to win as the reds.  All this could be avoided by simply inputing production data and getting cost as a result - in a model that doesn't have to be extremely detailed, but a good enough approximation, which also would bring a more accurate intuitive feel for the real unit counterparts.

It's true that you get a lot more T34 per T90, but the numbers they come up with are arbitrary. Availability should reflect actual availability too. If it's a trash tank in low supply it should still be relatively unavailable in your repertoire to get the "feel" of a country, but easy to produce (low cost) etc.

MP is nice, but stressful. In 10vs10 you're responsible for your part of the front (+ some support players that can jump in and help or just do artillery stuff on demand or not), but it's anonymous, people leave, and generally the games are less serious. Smaller games are more intense, and your responsibility is greater (more satisfying if you win, especially when outnumbered, but it's a bit like a chore). In larger games, there's always some guy that tends to heedlessly attack fortified positions, which eventually leads to a major point loss (which is why conquest can be a nice mode). 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:48:34 pm by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 04:06:22 pm »

So, I understand the desire for realistic availabilities, but couldn't you easily end up in a situation with uninteresting factions? Like, is the Netherlands or Israel really ever going to win in a war against the USSR? It's reminding me of War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition, where the game was mostly about the Japanese side trying to survive as long as possible, as opposed to ever winning. Real world is often not balanced or fair.

If WG:RD took the same approach, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to play the sides that consistently lost. I feel like it might be an acceptable decision to choose balance over absolute realism for competitive MP games. Games of historical simulation tend to be more of a niche :)

And yeah, MP games can be stressful. I'm trying to get myself in the mindset of them being intense rather than stressful because I no longer care that I suck a lot. And then gradually sucking less as time goes on :)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 06:14:41 pm »

Bought the game. Sheesh. It seems complicated as fuck.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 07:20:38 pm »

I bought the game as well. Thing is, I had already bought the previous two games for about but the same price but never really got to play them.
One of the interesting things is that issuing orders to your units is pretty simple. You only have attack and move orders, and splitting units into groups or merging them, but that's about it. The complexity comes from how many stats each individual unit and weapon has.

Also I'm in the discord but not sure if I'll be able to play right now.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:25:59 pm by OzyTheSage »

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 07:36:55 pm »

I bought the game as well. Thing is, I had already bought the previous two games for about but the same price but never really got to play them.
One of the interesting things is that issuing orders to your units is pretty simple. You only have attack and move orders, and splitting units into groups or merging them, but that's about it. The complexity comes from how many stats each individual unit and weapon has.

Also I'm in the discord but not sure if I'll be able to play right now.

Really? I've had issues with my units not actually attacking unless I order em to.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 07:44:34 pm »

Well they have to be in range to attack. ATGMs have a ridiculously long range, so if you keep getting hit with ATGMs and you only have cannons that could be why.
Also make sure you haven't accidentally disabled their weapons by clicking them on the bottom of the screen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 10:01:49 pm »

You also have to have line of sight. Thankfully the UI actually shows you if you do or not. When you're hovering your cursor over an enemy unit, if the line is solid all the way there, you have line of sight and are close enough to be able to fire. If it isn't, either it's being blocked by terrain (which tends to be fairly self-evident) or you're out of range. You can check ranges when you're building decks, too.

Honestly half the game is in deck-building. Gotta pay attention to accuracy, range, AP damage on cannons & AT weapons, those three are the most universally important. There are a good many units that are functionally useless for one reason or another, most often because of some combination of those.

A tip, if you're wanting to pull extra high-end aircraft with the really good A2A missiles or the A2G radar-seekers, check the naval card list. It includes Marine/Navy versions of some such vehicles and they're counted against your naval card costs rather than planes which can let you cram in two or three more cards for cheap. Same deal with a lot of other stuff that has versions deployed in landing craft (obv. not usable on maps without any water spawns). The aircraft, of course, can be deployed on any map.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 04:11:29 pm »

Any tips or tricks? Cause sheesh. I suck at this game.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 04:31:16 pm »

Right?! Super hard :D

I think the best thing I ever did I stop needing all my units to survive. You are gonna lose troops, and lots of them, and that's OK. There are more!

Super duper tip: the mouse-cursor turns blue wherever there is cover (forests, hedges), making units in there harder to spot. Always put troops in blue spots or towns unless making a big push.

Here's a few generic tips that I feel are a good enough baseline strategy for defending (which is what you want to be focusing on at first probably).

Recon is super important. Every front should have 1 or 2, with Very Good optics eye-sights. You get Excellent optics on choppers, but they are more vulnerable. Use relatively cheap recon so you can deploy more.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Put fair amounts cheap regular infantry (10, 15 strength per unit) inside buildings at strategically relevant locations. In buildings behind them, have AA infantry (get the best, with 70% hit chance if you have them). On the buildings on the edge of town, put ATGM infantry if you have it, or the longest range AT inf you can find.
Put a couple of tanks behind infantry, in cover, with line of sight and range to incoming roads.
Behind tanks, consider having ATGM vehicles (anti-tank guided missile, GUID in weapon descriptions).
On more open areas, focus on using tanks and ATGM in forests/hedges. Keep your ATGM vehicles separated from each other, because an AoE weapon will take them all out.

Where your support and command units are going to be, have strong AA consisting of more than infantry. Turn off radar on their weapons until enemy planes show up and are in range, or they'll get destroyed.

During defensive battles, just keep shoring up your defences as you lose units. Try to keep an eye on AT ammo and get some supply in before you need it (guarantee that's going to be during the next major offensive). React to what the enemy is doing... if they're bringing in lots of cheapo tanks or vehicles, maybe get a few extra tanks/ATGM in, or some spam arty on their approach. If they're getting heavy tanks tanks in, get some of your own, or long-ranged air-based ground attack.

Also, just watch some youtube battles, and realise how little micro the pros are doing all the time. They only do it when it's necessary, or to set up the troops. Then they are mostly on their own!

Final tip is, after you've tried a couple of battles, just build your own deck for fun. It's what allowed me to truly understand all the different unit types and how they might fit together. You don't even need to use it - feel free to go back to SP afterwards. It just really helps get a feel for the units :)

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:35:27 pm by Anvilfolk »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 09:36:32 pm »

On Discord and playing for a while if anybody wants to join :)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 09:47:18 pm »

I'd be up for a game or two
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 11:31:00 am »

Any tips or tricks? Cause sheesh. I suck at this game.

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

-------------

That took awhile to type.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 11:38:46 am »

A command unit addendum:

Hide the fucking command unit.
Halt the fucking command unit.

That guy who drives his command units into the middle of a zone because he mass-clicked and doesn't notice until they get shot up and the enemy command unit hidden in a forested far corner secures the vital spawn route? Don't be that guy.

Shoot the fucking command unit. Do it. Even if you can't see it, if you have flame or arty or air you can usually guess where it is and fuck it anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 11:58:27 am »

Thanks for the tips folks - this is great stuff :) Still getting hammered in multiplayer, so always looking for more tips :D

Have been playing a few games with someone from the Discord chat as well as with others from the forum. Great fun so far!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 10:47:30 am »

I see talk of a Discord chat but, uh, could someone tell me how to get there? I'd be up for multi - haven't played anything other than SP in a long, long time.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13