Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)  (Read 24509 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (war game + RTS = the ultimate geeky mil-sim)
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2016, 03:13:43 pm »

Wait, why the hell is Finland Redfor?
._.

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2016, 04:10:28 pm »

Wait, why the hell is Finland Redfor?
Both Yugoslavia and Finland were neutral in real life. In the Wargame universe they lean towards Red, or else Blue would be way too stacked, they already have more than twice the countries Red has.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2016, 04:52:25 pm »

Finland, at last. I can put together a version of my actual real life unit, pretty much (AA, if you were wondering). Pity the modern Western units we wield today aren't there - T-72s AND Leopard 2s, anyone?
Do you use IGLAs?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2016, 05:43:03 pm »

The next DLC might be Italy, as it had the highest vote count after Finland and Yugoslavia.
New REDFOR factions could be Iran, Vietnam, India, Egypt and Bulgaria in the order of votes they got. I suppose Egypt and Iran to fight against Israel with some desert maps will come sooner or later and India seems to have quite a wide variety of equipment from all around the world, same goes for Egypt (REDFOR Abrams anyone?).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2016, 07:30:57 pm »

If Italy means more Otomatic then I'm down.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2016, 07:38:22 pm »

I still haven't bought any of the DLCs.

I'm always just on the receiving end of the pain.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2016, 09:03:19 pm »

Finland, at last. I can put together a version of my actual real life unit, pretty much (AA, if you were wondering). Pity the modern Western units we wield today aren't there - T-72s AND Leopard 2s, anyone?
Do you use IGLAs?

Not in the present day, no. We have, IIRC, ITO 90s (Crotale NG), and I've seen our Sergeis with my own eyes. They are adorable. Also the Marksman ItPsv (that's an abbreviation for Ilmatorjuntapanssari, AA Armor, Finnish naming is very dull), though nowadays those are on a Leopard 2 hull. The rest is newer stuff beyond Wargame's cut-off date, I think.

If there are Russian spies reading this, disregard the classified information above. Even if it is all on Wikipedia.

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2016, 10:39:33 pm »

I wish we'd have Portugal.

After all, we have awesome Navy drones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq6A17_rpQY

please do yourself a favour and watch that 'till the end

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2016, 10:55:35 pm »

I'm starting to really love NORAD. It's like it has no weaknesses.

The biggest problem with the US forces was the infantry was gimped. So you have mediocre to straight up bad infantry but everything else was solid if not the best in class. Especially the airforce.

So you give them Canada. An army that kinda has really funky niche vehicles and very powerful infantry. It's like a match made in heaven.

Seriously, Canadian infantry are so crazy strong. They have access to the ERYX, which is possibly one of the best ATGMs in the game (other than that Israel shit), replacing the almost useless Dragon that the US uses. They also have Javelins, one of the best MANPADS in the game as well. Adding Canada also gives the US access to the ADATS, a super accurate ATGM that can also shoot down planes and isn't radar. A perfect compliment to the US Patriot system. Lastly, you don't have to use the garbage-tier US special forces and can use the good Canadian ones instead.

I'd say the only weakness I can see is that Canadian infantry doesn't have very good IFVs? Actually they're kinda expensive for being kinda shit.

Oh, I guess you can potentially run out of units especially in extended games.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2016, 12:11:59 am »

Hah. Reading this thread is making me want to play this again.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2016, 01:14:57 pm »

Weaknesses I see in NORAD are:

1. the lack of a long ranged infantry AT missile, which means towns aren't quite as scary for vehicles to approach (think MILAN, Konkurs etc). Eryx only has 1km range, even if it is wonderfully punchy.
2. Still no decent spec ops in the infantry tab. Deltas are kinda ok for a really close in brawl with their smg, but their LAW is practically a joke. At least with the machine gun standardisation now, they're not going to be humiliated by people with an l.mg3. Canada doesn't bring along spec ops in the infantry tab at all, and the Canadian Airborne are, in my opinion, not quite as good as the US Marines. SEALS, even if they are in the recon tab, remain awesome.
3. The Paladin is without a doubt the 2nd worst 10-second aimtime artillery in the game, only the MSTA-S is worse. very slow refire rate means you have to move after 2 shells fired or you're getting counter-arty'd. Caesar, AS-90, BKAN etc all make it look rather lacklustre.

Strengths you didn't mention are:

1. LEOPARD 1. Nothing comes close to the Leopard 1 as a low-mid price attacking tank. the Leopard C2 or C2 Mexas is exceedingly punchy and the Mexas doesn't even have the usual Leo 1 disadvantage of being relatively fragile. Sure, it's a bit less armoured than the M1IP at its' price point, but holy hell look at the difference in gun stats.
2. Centurion Marksman. Long range, accurate SPAAG, and it's even got a bit of frontal armour so it doesn't instapop when someone chucks a shell at it. Easily a better pick than the PIVADs, I'd say.

Otherwise, I'd still probably take Stingers over the Javelin. The extra range on the Jav is nice, but the [GUID] trait really isn't. Stingers have superior accuracy, and [F&F] makes them a much superior plane killer, as the missile doesn't lose lock if the plane moves out of the firing units' view range. The Accuracy also means it's a much superior ambush missile for surprising helis, as you're so much more likely to get the kills you're looking for before they back out of range.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2016, 02:30:35 pm »

Oh man, the Leopard C2.

It's so good.

You're right it's totally punchy. I sat at the screen wondering whether to take it or the Abrams but decided to go with the much better gun instead.

Then I went into an MP battle and two of my C2s slaughtered T72s twice their number. I was totally sold.

Speaking of which, this isn't something directly related to NORAD but I've started to really enjoy the high-tier Abrams variants. There's something quite enjoyable about them even though they're so ludicrously expensive. Quite a few times now I've just drove one or two M1A1(HC)s straight through the middle of an enemy entrenched position and they smashed through without any difficulty due to their speed and accuracy. Then they just drive out again before the enemy even has time to send in reinforcements. I've also done this with the Czech MODERNA, another hilarious tank.

They remind me of elephants. Extremely thirsty elephants.

Apparently Finland is getting an even better custom version of the T-72 compared to all the other REDFOR nations? I don't really want to be on the receiving end of that.

--------------

Edit:

I just saw the saddest thing.

MP game. Tactical so you have very little money.

One of my teammates sent a T-80U into the jungle just in front of the enemy's spawn. As he reached the border, he got oneshot from the rear by one of these.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2016, 09:26:54 pm »

Wargame: Red Dragon is on sale again for US$12.  I finally picked it up.

Cool story about the recoilless rifle jeep taking out your teammate's T-80U.  Cheap equipment can be deadly when used right.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2016, 09:43:48 pm »

Finland has a 120 point T-72 with similar gun stats to a 180 point M1A2 Abrams.

It's glorious.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2016, 10:26:32 pm »

Finland has a 120 point T-72 with similar gun stats to a 180 point M1A2 Abrams.

It's glorious.
With worse armor and stabilizer than the 65 point Abrams.
But yeah, I think the point for this unit is to fill the sniper role. It becomes significantly less accurate on the move and can't really stand up to hits while trying to storm a position, so they should be just left the edge of a forest somewhere to use the pinpoint accuracy to pick off advancing vehicles.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13