Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50

Author Topic: A Star Once Fallen OOC~6/6 players (Testing Open Legend RPG)  (Read 58367 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star Once Fallen OOC~6/6 players (Testing Open Legend RPG)
« Reply #330 on: October 24, 2016, 02:51:52 pm »

If crafting is that feat-intensive, I guess a crafting-based character (possibly the half-golem) might be a bad idea. I'm still deciding between the concepts because I'm bad at choosing, but I'm already writing down the mechanics anyway.

Something I don't get about Presence is the described usage of "have luck smile upon you". Does that mean that if something should be entirely up to luck, you roll Presence instead, like during gambling?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 24, 2016, 03:00:20 pm »

If crafting is that feat-intensive, I guess a crafting-based character (possibly the half-golem) might be a bad idea. I'm still deciding between the concepts because I'm bad at choosing, but I'm already writing down the mechanics anyway.

Something I don't get about Presence is the described usage of "have luck smile upon you". Does that mean that if something should be entirely up to luck, you roll Presence instead, like during gambling?

Well, we started at level 1, so crafting via feat alone is pretty much out of the picture...if you fit it into one of your perks, I would accept that.

Also, I assume you would roll presence during gambling, since it's not entirely up to luck alone. It's the old saw-do you think the best gamblers in the world are the luckiest people? Presence stat indicates your self confidence and your ability to avoid making mistakes due to pressure-essentially, how good is your poker face.

I'm pretty sure that is what the description was meant to imply.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 24, 2016, 03:18:23 pm »

Yeah, but I meant games where poker faces don't matter and that are thusly avoided by professional gamblers.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 24, 2016, 03:22:10 pm »

Yeah, but I meant games where poker faces don't matter and that are thusly avoided by professional gamblers.

I'd rule that every game that has any social angle, would probably require presence to play and win.

If it was literally 'flip a coin' as a game, yeah then I'd just roll a 1d2 with no bonus/malus.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 25, 2016, 08:12:10 am »

Btw,

Athath you've been removed from the game

Posting every 4-5 days is not really optimal.

Edit: More to the point, posting minimally every 4-5 days is really not optional.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:24:58 am by Dwarmin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star Once Fallen OOC~5/6 players (Testing Open Legend RPG)
« Reply #335 on: October 25, 2016, 12:09:43 pm »

Anyway, I'm going try a few more things in this encounter.

~Pre-casted Boons/Assured Boons
It makes sense you'd probably want to prepare boons before hand.

So we'll use the following formula!

Boon Challenge Rating-Attribute Dice Average=X (where X=1 turn/6 seconds)

If you have X amount of time where you're not in combat, you can cast any boon on yourself, without having to do the ordinary roll. Because if you rolled enough you'd get it anyway.

And, don't ask me if you 'have enough time'. It's a minor risk, you declare it beforehand-since, if you're interrupted while you're 'channeling' you'll be forced to cancel, or keep going. It saves me from having to roll two dozen times. Ironically, I won't even have to do the formula very often, as I have a good idea how much time it going on.

Example: Future Wen-Tsu, High Master Moonmancer, has attribute level 9 in Alteration (an average of 15), and she wants to cast a Power Level 9 Shapeshift (CR 28) on herself, to turn into a Chupacabra. Who knows why!

It would take exactly a minute, eighteen seconds for her to cast without fail.

~Focus Actions
Didn't use these last encounter.

Pretty much, if you don't use a major, move, and minor action in a round you get a 'focus' action. Which is this stuff.

~Disrupting Attack. Make a damaging attack using the normal attack rules. If your attack deals 10 or more points of damage, then any boons being sustained by your target immediately end.

~Superior Action. Make any one action roll with advantage 1.

~Charge. Move up to twice your speed and make one melee attack at disadvantage 1. (Charge in a straight line, fools)

I will apply superior action automatically if you don't move/attack in a round, but you would be wise to let me know if you want to use/sacrifice anything else.

~Lethal Damage
Time to nerf that healing! Sort of.

I'm putting lethal damage on enemy critical hits.

Whenever you roll a natural 20 on the d20 used in a damaging attack roll, your attack inflicts some lethal damage. The amount of lethal damage is equal to the total of subsequent d20 rolls for that attack (i.e., the d20 explosion total). A creature’s maximum hit points are reduced by the amount of lethal damage it suffers.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:19:10 pm by Dwarmin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 25, 2016, 12:13:02 pm »

I really wanted Jao to swear really loud, but decided not to.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 25, 2016, 12:19:37 pm »

A cold has taken most of my energy out of commission, but I'm currently working on the half-golem sheet. It seems to be the one I'll go with so there's that.

One thing that did surprise me is how long Fatigue lasts. A full 24 hours of rest before you can get rid of a single level makes a berserking build a risky proposition.
>Yes?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 25, 2016, 12:21:51 pm »

How does lethal damage work with bonus hp from food?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 25, 2016, 12:22:41 pm »

~Pre-casted Boons/Assured Boons

Nice, cool stuff. (Although the average of 3d10 is 16-17 not 15 heh...) This certainly solves a sorta niggling worry I've been having about the action cost of boons vs attacking, I like it! I'ma gunna have Moubu try to use it!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 25, 2016, 12:40:37 pm »

How does lethal damage work with bonus hp from food?

I'll say as long as you have some kind of HP bonus, you could still be on your feet through sheer willpower, even if normally you would hit the ground.

One thing that did surprise me is how long Fatigue lasts. A full 24 hours of rest before you can get rid of a single level makes a berserking build a risky proposition.

Berserking is risky, but the defense bonuses will let you stand in the middle of almost anything.

I've noted that the effects do have a sort of combo-essentially, if you start raging, you can take it up to level 3 in desperation-raging lets you partially cancel out the penalties of fatigue.

~Fatigue Level 1: No effect on attack/defense rolls. Your 'free' daily rage.
~Fatigue Level 2: You lose your normal attribute defense bonus. Raging allows you to gain the equivalent of +5 attribute bonus in evasion/toughness/resolve, however.
~Fatigue Level 3: You take disadvantage 1 on all attacks. Not a terrible penalty, and raging lets you balance it out.
~Fatigue Level 4: Reduces your speed to 2 (?) Obviously this is as far you'll generally want to go, since at this point someone will have to carry you back home.

And after that, unconsciousness, and death (Though, I'm sure Moubu can figure out a way to wake from unconsciousness and die raging.)

Obviously, you can counter fatigue through restoration boon, which isn't hard for anyone to get initially, since it just needs 1 level in restoration or protection. You could easily fluff that as your 'natural reserves of endurance'

Between natural rest+magic you can cure two level of fatigue a day.

Since I'm such a nice GM I'll rule that certain good meals that Moubu makes can repair ANOTHER level of fatigue.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 25, 2016, 12:45:15 pm »

Btw, I'm gonna assume you all got some Bees and Beans for dinner last night. :P

Now that Anders Balecat has vanished into the Netherealm, there's enough portions for everyone!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:51:16 pm by Dwarmin »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 25, 2016, 12:47:47 pm »

Any vegetarians speak up now or hold your peas.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 25, 2016, 12:48:04 pm »

Now that Anders has vanished into the Netherealm, there's enough portions for everyone!

Uh...

Uhh...

WHAT HAPPENED TO ME?

(Not that Anders would mind the Netherealm terribly)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 25, 2016, 12:51:01 pm »

Now that Anders has vanished into the Netherealm, there's enough portions for everyone!

Uh...

Uhh...

WHAT HAPPENED TO ME?

(Not that Anders would mind the Netherealm terribly)

I guess I meant Balecar.

I forgot he existed and just wrote the first name that popped into my mind...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50