Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50

Author Topic: A Star Once Fallen OOC~6/6 players (Testing Open Legend RPG)  (Read 58249 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: A Star Once Fallen OOC~6/6 players (Testing Open Legend RPG)
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2016, 04:20:15 pm »

Thanks! I'm not going to RP him as slightly less mediocre, though.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2016, 04:21:25 pm »

His Bardic abilities are still as awful as ever, he just now knows Illusion magic too.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2016, 04:58:17 pm »

I'll have to keep my eyes open then. ^_^

Right, something else I was meant to ask. Can I propel items out of hammerspace with force? Can I partially push them out like a hidden blade, or is it all or nothing? Last but not least, outside of the stuff I am wearing, how much can I drag along with me when I teleport?

I'm gonna rule you can't toss stuff out of hammerspace alone. You can put it in your hand, then throw it through some means, but not alone. Also, unless you could live with a knife poking out of your body (or half a knife in your body), I'm going to rule the item is either solid OR immaterial, not half and half.

As for the other thing, let's use D&D rules.

You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load (i.e, 20 items). You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.

Now, whats a medium creature? Most humanoids, from 6ft around or less, which is everyone in the party. Almost means most monsters that only occupy one tile in size as well. I suppose you could try to grab enemies and telefrag them, but they'd gain a save.

I will probably increase the DC for dragging along another person, how much, I dunno.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2016, 05:11:02 pm »

I would have thought the ability to try to telefrag enemies would be kind of a bigger thing, needing a specific skill for it. Otherwise it's effectively just a death skill, which is otherwise a Level 9 entropy/agility sort of deal.
After all, you can't try to just teleport enemy's brains out their skulls in dnd.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2016, 05:22:50 pm »

I *think* what Dwarm means is teleport them into environmental hazards, or up into the sky or something like that. Not just an instant-death sort of telefrag. Even if you tried to teleport them into a wall, at best they'd take a bit of damage and be stunned.

One thing I do like about how abilities seem to be set up in this game to work (for the mast part) off the player's creativity and intelligence. Absorb Object really doesn't seem like it would be worth 6 feat points to have access to before level six, but when you consider its potential if it is used correctly, it becomes much more attractive.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:26:21 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2016, 06:03:11 pm »

2nd turn is up.

I love the 'You failed, but maybe not?' part of Open Legend. Makes Gming really fun.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2016, 06:22:01 pm »

Alright, cool. Flaws and such. After looking though the stuff and thinking about my dude, what do you think of these?

Way of the Warrior: For the tribesmen of the eastern expanse, warfare and combat are simple facts of life, ranging from small scale intertribal raiding, to mercenary work for for the more civilized kingdoms, to times when the tribes unite into massive hordes against their enemies. To be an adult tribesman is to be warrior; this intensely martial focused society had greatly shaped Moubus way of life and looking at the world.

Perk: Inspiring warrior: In the Karthela tribe to be great warrior and a great leader is considered one and the same. No matter how strong a warrior is if his fellows will not follow him into battle, he is powerless in war. No matter how inspiring he is if he can't lead his tribe in battle to crush a foe, he is not worthy to lead. Moubu brings these ethos of personal power and leadership forward. Once per game session, if he makes a show of physical force, he can use his Might attribute for a Presence roll. If his Presence score is already equal to or greater than his Might score, he gets advantage 1 on the roll. (So basically brute/orc skill only for Presence instead of Persuasion)

Perk: Courageous: Moubu has devoted himself fully to warfare and combat, and when in the heat of battle his flame of spirit only burns brighter as the combat goes on, adversity and impossible odds only serve to raise him to new heights! Once per game session, as a free action he can cancel all negative effects upon him related to fear or low morale.

Flaw: The Martial path: Growing up in this environment so focused on warfare and martial powers have bent Moubus sense of self worth around his martial skills. To be a great warrior, the best warrior, that is the pinnacle of being in his eyes. To that end he can't resist testing his might against those worthy foes, to defeat in the heat of combat a warrior or group of foes that seems to stand tall and invincible against all comers is the ultimate expression of his own worth and power!

Considering a second flaw, but that one is pretty much Ambitious, Bloodlust, Brash, and Proud all rolled into one, so perhaps that would be enough for me.

Anyway, flaws and perks aside, I don't understand what happened in the turn quite, I was using my intimidated bane attack, which should have rolled my might (1d20+1d10) against it's resolve (10) but instead I... Used 4 movement (which I don't have) as a flat value (which doesn't make sense, since there's no flat bonuses in the game to rolls other then afaik, death strikes (which also actually aren't reallllly flat bonuses although they sorta are)) against a CR of 18!? Is there some mistake here, or did I seriously misunderstand something?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:25:38 pm by Criptfeind »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 11, 2016, 06:27:04 pm »

I don't understand what happened in the turn quite, I was using my intimidated bane attack, which should have rolled my might (1d20+1d10) against it's resolve (10) but instead I... Used 4 movement (which I don't have) as a flat value (which doesn't make sense, since there's no flat bonuses in the game to rolls other then afaik, death strikes) against a CR of 18!? Is there some mistake here, or did I seriously misunderstand something?

Yeah, I think I messed up. <_< I haven't totally gotten my head around all the dice bonuses yet.

I was just trying to rush it out. Which was in itself a problem.

I can fix...I really need to sit down and finish the character sheets, really. Too much winging it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2016, 06:39:38 pm »

Izzzzz arite, fair enough, we've all gota learn a new (and changing!) system here.

To me it looks like the two issues that causes this is A: You don't add stats directly to rolls, instead stats give you additional dice to your roll

1:1d4
2:1d6
3:1d8
4:1d10
5:2d6
6:2d8
7:2d10
8:3d8
9:3d10

Which is also where advantages comes in, since these are the dice that advantage allows you to roll more of and pick highest. (This is especially important for boons, since the CR already raises faster then the average of these dice, to reduce it even further would make boons very hard to roll in a way that enemy stats can't be adjusted for) And B: for Bane rolls you don't roll against the CR of the thing like you would for a Boon, instead rolling against the enemies defensive stats.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2016, 06:40:08 pm »

Yeah, the problem is I was still using the straight numbers (Sort of like in D&D) rather the bonuses attached to the numbers.

Also, I accidentally based your DC as if you were attempting to activate a skill of that level, instead of against the enemies defenses.

Ah, live and learn.

I think I fixed it now...

Ninjaposted*

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2016, 07:15:13 pm »

By the way, can MIGHTY MOUBU! WARRIOR OF THE EASTERN STEPPE! see over the large south eastern Boulder?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2016, 07:35:49 pm »

You made a typo on the map, Dwarmin. You wrote immobilized when it should be immobeelized. Kthxbai.

In more serious news, perks and flaws. Dagonspeak is fine as is but...

New Perk

Blessing of Mother Hydra: Anders heals particularly quickly when in saltwater, and can act as though he had Sylvan ally with regard to fish, aquatic reptiles, and creatures of dark and deep aquatic places. Granted, he's also automatically detested by dogs, cats, and most wholesome creatures that walk under the light.

Flaws

Susurrus: Indistinct whispers, caressing the edge of perception, hover around the young N'thlei. The effect is barely noticeable, but still distinctly unsettling for periods of long exposure. Worse, there are times when the voices speak directly to Anders, giving him directions. Sometimes the directions are harmless, but Anders follows them without question.

Orange and Blue: Anders is incapable of recognizing good from evil. Principally this means that he trusts his companions to make the distinction (or the voices in his head), but on his own he's capable of coming to some truly bizarre conclusions about what the appropriate next action should be, in any context with people. 

Edit: Irony is a fickle woman.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:39:32 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2016, 08:58:42 pm »

Dwarm, I think something got lost-in-translation with my move when you switched away from the hex map. I was supposed to climb into the canopy using the rock to my upper right. >_>
The circle is complete.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2016, 08:35:45 am »

I think it takes a whole turn to climb up into the canopy, so you'd have to be doing that this turn probably? But yeah maybe should be next to tree or somethink.

Also there's some weird only partially written rules, shadowrun style, in the weapons section it says you reroll initiative every time you swap weapons, but I can't find rules or even mention of that anywhere else at all. Sorta feels like the dude realized as he was writing the rules that the fairly insignificant initiative bonus some weapons give you make it so that it's optimal to always carry a dagger and drop it at the start of combat, wrote something to counteract it with the intention of fleshing it out later, but then never doing so? At any rate, is that a thing? Cuz Moubus mighty fists are equivalent to his hammer anyway, so I might end up, for one reason or another, dropping the hammer in this fight, and I'm wondering if I do that, would it cause my initiative to reroll? And what that'd look like.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:37:20 am by Criptfeind »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2016, 10:24:03 am »

Alright, cool. Flaws and such. After looking though the stuff and thinking about my dude, what do you think of these?

Way of the Warrior: For the tribesmen of the eastern expanse, warfare and combat are simple facts of life, ranging from small scale intertribal raiding, to mercenary work for for the more civilized kingdoms, to times when the tribes unite into massive hordes against their enemies. To be an adult tribesman is to be warrior; this intensely martial focused society had greatly shaped Moubus way of life and looking at the world.

Perk: Inspiring warrior: In the Karthela tribe to be great warrior and a great leader is considered one and the same. No matter how strong a warrior is if his fellows will not follow him into battle, he is powerless in war. No matter how inspiring he is if he can't lead his tribe in battle to crush a foe, he is not worthy to lead. Moubu brings these ethos of personal power and leadership forward. Once per day, if he makes a show of physical force, he can use his Might attribute for a Presence roll. If his Presence score is already equal to or greater than his Might score, he gets advantage 1 on the roll. (So basically brute/orc skill only for Presence instead of Persuasion)

Perk: Courageous: Moubu has devoted himself fully to warfare and combat, and when in the heat of battle his flame of spirit only burns brighter as the combat goes on, adversity and impossible odds only serve to raise him to new heights! Once per day, as a free action he can cancel all negative effects upon him related to fear or low morale.

Flaw: The Martial path: Growing up in this environment so focused on warfare and martial powers have bent Moubus sense of self worth around his martial skills. To be a great warrior, the best warrior, that is the pinnacle of being in his eyes. To that end he can't resist testing his might against those worthy foes, to defeat in the heat of combat a warrior or group of foes that seems to stand tall and invincible against all comers is the ultimate expression of his own worth and power!

These are all good. Approved.

Edited in that 'once per game sessions' is considered once a day in game. I could probably do that better, but it works for now.

You made a typo on the map, Dwarmin. You wrote immobilized when it should be immobeelized. Kthxbai.

In more serious news, perks and flaws. Dagonspeak is fine as is but...

New Perk

Blessing of Mother Hydra: Anders heals particularly quickly when in saltwater, and can act as though he had Sylvan ally with regard to fish, aquatic reptiles, and creatures of dark and deep aquatic places. Granted, he's also automatically detested by dogs, cats, and most wholesome creatures that walk under the light.

Flaws

Susurrus: Indistinct whispers, caressing the edge of perception, hover around the young N'thlei. The effect is barely noticeable, but still distinctly unsettling for periods of long exposure. Worse, there are times when the voices speak directly to Anders, giving him directions. Sometimes the directions are harmless, but Anders follows them without question.

Orange and Blue: Anders is incapable of recognizing good from evil. Principally this means that he trusts his companions to make the distinction (or the voices in his head), but on his own he's capable of coming to some truly bizarre conclusions about what the appropriate next action should be, in any context with people. 

Technically the second perk is a flaw/feat, but whatever, it's nothing too OP since it has a natural balance. Accepted.

Dwarm, I think something got lost-in-translation with my move when you switched away from the hex map. I was supposed to climb into the canopy using the rock to my upper right. >_>

I'll adjust it on the next turn. You know where you are.

Cuz Moubus mighty fists are equivalent to his hammer anyway, so I might end up, for one reason or another, dropping the hammer in this fight, and I'm wondering if I do that, would it cause my initiative to reroll? And what that'd look like.

I've already ruled you actually have to use the swift weapon to attack, to get the init bonus.

If you drop it or choose not to use it, I just deduct your initiative bonus from your current roll, and you can't get it back for the remainder of the combat. The only cheese tactic I can think would be wielding a swift weapon in hope of getting init, and dropping it if you don't...

Also, I think I will double the init bonuses to weapons. It would make them more distinct, anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50