Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50

Author Topic: A Star Once Fallen OOC~6/6 players (Testing Open Legend RPG)  (Read 58142 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: A Star Once Fallen OOC~0/5? players (Testing Open Legend RPG)
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2016, 11:08:45 am »

OK, I've scraped my character together at the last minute.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2016, 11:22:01 am »

Also, I have determined the crossbow really does suck, compared to the other bows. It needs to have more banes added to it.

I guess tis the grand old rpg tradition of making crossbows suck :P

We'll were at it, I think that the Battle Axe is a strictly worse longsword,  and the great axe is a strictly worse maul?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2016, 11:29:01 am »

Oh, and this is a pretty IMPORTANT one Dwarmin, since I'm taking Boon Access (6): Absorb Object, is there a limit to how many objects may be absorbed at one time? Is it up to the "Twenty Objects Carried Maximum" in the "Equipment" section, or does it go around that since you aren't exactly carrying them? How does it interact with things that have the bulky or heavy property? Another potential usage, can I take Armor directly from storage to being equipped (if I'm not wearing something else of course.) And even if that isn't the case, can I absorb the armor rather than manually taking it off, or do I have to take it off, then absorb it? Or can I just never absorb things that large? (The intuitive size limit would probably be anything you could conceivably wear or hold but you might have a different idea.)

Hmm, I'm gonna have to keep the 20 objects maximum, even in hammerspace. It's meant to keep down on recordkeeping, and I very much approve. That being said-technically heavy might apply if you store things inside your body, but I'm going to rule you store it in personal hammerspace, so none of that applies. Bulky items decided on a case by case basis, also depends on your method of storage.

I'll also say you have to touch an item physically to absorb/remove it, but you can 'shunt' armor onto/off your body as if you had equipped/unequipped it. I know from the description you can move items straight from your storage to being wielded, it follows you could do the same with armor.

We'll were at it, I think that the Battle Axe is a strictly worse longsword,  and the great axe is a strictly worse maul?

Yeah, there's no reason to use a LS over a battleaxe, but the only diff is you can use AGILITY/MIGHT instead of just MIGHT. Longsword def needs to lose forceful, it doesn't need both.

And why not add stunned to greataxe too? Sounds like an easy fix.

Need to add some houserules...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2016, 11:41:05 am »

Hmm, I'm gonna have to keep the 20 objects maximum, even in hammerspace. It's meant to keep down on recordkeeping, and I very much approve. That being said-technically heavy might apply if you store things inside your body, but I'm going to rule you store it in personal hammerspace, so none of that applies. Bulky items decided on a case by case basis, also depends on your method of storage.

I'll also say you have to touch an item physically to absorb/remove it, but you can 'shunt' armor onto/off your body as if you had equipped/unequipped it. I know from the description you can move items straight from your storage to being wielded, it follows you could do the same with armor.

Perfect, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Although the ability to quickly and freely change armor and equipment unfortunately won't be as useful in a game that doesn't appear to have magical items, it's still a really cool RP thing.

Storage is always going to be hammer-space. I'm under the opinion that the "in-body" containment is alteration since it's in line with what alteration does, leaving the hammerspace as movement. (Movement is a really weird supernatural category to begin with if I'm honest. Sort of a mishmash of a few other things.)

Note, if you bring 15 hatchets I'm having them swept away by the storm. :P

I'm requesting that my 12 daggers aren't swept away by the storm because they're in hammerspace.
(Or are you going to do a "it's such an awful storm you lose concentration and half your hammerspace gets torn out into the ocean" sort of thing? =P)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2016, 11:55:48 am »

Perfect, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Although the ability to quickly and freely change armor and equipment unfortunately won't be as useful in a game that doesn't appear to have magical items, it's still a really cool RP thing.

Storage is always going to be hammer-space. I'm under the opinion that the "in-body" containment is alteration since it's in line with what alteration does, leaving the hammerspace as movement. (Movement is a really weird supernatural category to begin with if I'm honest. Sort of a mishmash of a few other things.)

I'm requesting that my 12 daggers aren't swept away by the storm because they're in hammerspace.

Jokes on you, this is a magical storm, it wipes away magical inventory items too!

Honestly, if you have a good reason WHY you're carrying a dozen daggers with you, then it's fine. Are you a dagger salesman?

Also, I can totally make magic items...? It's just a matter of applying more boons/banes to existing equipment.

And yeah, movement is weird. It essentially stands in for Conjuration, in D&D terms. Moving something from one place to another place. But not exactly all teleportation/summoning effects.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:57:28 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2016, 12:01:04 pm »

Jokes on you, this is a magical storm, it wipes away magical inventory items too!

Honestly, if you have a good reason WHY you're carrying a dozen daggers with you, then it's fine. Are you a dagger salesman?

Also, I can totally make magic items...? It's just a matter of applying more boons/banes to existing equipment.

And yeah, movement is weird. It essentially stands in for Conjuration, in D&D terms. Moving something from one place to another place.

No, but my character only uses swords/sword-like bladed weapons, so throwing Daggers at people is the only ranged attack I currently have access to. (Unless you can do an attack with Movement? I suppose it would be something like a lance of force or something, or like Sectumsempra from Harry Potter.) Since she doesn't use a bow, and she can carry many daggers without them physically encombering her or getting in the way, it makes sense that she'd keep a relatively large surprlus of them. If twelve is too much I'll go down to 8. Also, a glaive is basically a sword on a pole so it's fine. =P

I suppose that's true. I was just thinking of how magical items work in traditional games, like "Armor of +5 health" or "Shield of extra defense".

You say Conjuration, but it also gives Telekinesis and Haste, which iirc weren't Conj.
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2016, 12:05:59 pm »

Also, as Telekinesis is worded thusly:

Power Level 5 - The object must be smaller or lighter than a fist-sized rock.

I'm assuming you aren't going to take that as an "either" or. (I wouldn't be able to manipulate an object the size of a coin that weighed as much as horse.) On the other hand, I imagine it will be based on what's "reasonable." A coin that weighs as much as a horse would be too much, but perhaps if the coin weighed as much as a medium sized table it would be okay. I suppose that one's up to interpretation.
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2016, 12:23:37 pm »

It does make sense if you don't have to actually carry all those daggers physically, I suppose. That would look ridiculous!

Spoiler: My mental image (click to show/hide)

Approved!

Also, as Telekinesis is worded thusly:

Power Level 5 - The object must be smaller or lighter than a fist-sized rock.

I'm assuming you aren't going to take that as an "either" or. (I wouldn't be able to manipulate an object the size of a coin that weighed as much as horse.) On the other hand, I imagine it will be based on what's "reasonable." A coin that weighs as much as a horse would be too much, but perhaps if the coin weighed as much as a medium sized table it would be okay. I suppose that one's up to interpretation.

I'll go for weight over size, if it comes down to it. Like it seems to me you could lift anywhere from 10-50 pounds on lv.5, roughly the size of something you could 'hold' in one hand.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2016, 12:30:27 pm »

You mean it would look AWESOME! =P

I'll go for weight over size, if it comes down to it. Like it seems to me you could lift anywhere from 10-50 pounds on lv.5, roughly the size of something you could 'hold' in one hand.

Makes sense. I suppose it shouldn't be a critical distinction to make too often, anyway, and I won't even get access to it until movement level 5.

Telekinesis is always one of those weird abilities that doesn't work in an RPG game setting very well because it's either weirdly restrictive (you can lift a house with your mind but you can't yank a sword out of a dude's hand or crush his windpipe because... why, exactly?) or crazy OP.
The circle is complete.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2016, 02:19:20 pm »

You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2016, 03:06:32 pm »

Probably gonna start this on monday. Got most of the players chosen already, but I'll need some time to compose everything.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2016, 03:32:03 pm »

Also, now that Gig baited me into revealing the up to now chosen players, I might as well post it public.

Our wonderful cast!

UXLX playing Emilia Reginleif, Hammerspace Angel
Lawastooshort playing Jao Feng Ling, Mediocre Halfling Bard
Giglameshdespair playing Wen-Tsu, Besotted Moon Fairy
Criptfeind, playing Moubu Karthela, Meat Shield
Draginean, playing Anders N’thlei, Unutterably Squamous Assassin
ATHATH, playing Balecar Silvertongue, Affable Necromancer, co-starring his skeleton friend he murdered

We'll see if anyone else gets added before monday.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star Once Fallen OOC~6/? players (Testing Open Legend RPG)
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2016, 03:44:25 pm »

Woe is me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2016, 03:52:21 pm »

Meat Shield

Well, it's a better archetype name then what I came up with.

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2016, 08:24:12 pm »

Was there something wrong with my character that made you not pick it?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50