Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: Small Mercies (IC) | Death is knocking, and he wants to buy a goat.  (Read 52216 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Small Mercies (IC) | Death is knocking, and he wants to buy a goat.
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2016, 12:10:06 pm »

So it was an intruder...of a sort. Probably. Something he felt comfortable enough meeting in a room with his crew, armed, perhaps speaking over a table. An intelligent intruder..?

Without any more evidence than a video, she was just swimming in circles. The bane of the scientist was that they worked in the real world, with actual samples-give them a 'what if' scenario and they could spend years thinking about the possibilities...she regretted her lack of social graces at that moment. There was only a handful of people who she knew well, or knew her well enough that she might call on them for information. And, would any of those get her closer to this specific mystery?

She had to find some concrete evidence, something to work with. There had to be someone somewhere who had been studying these killings, talking about them...something like this would be very hard to keep quiet.

Action: Does Sadish have any contacts from her intellectual circles that could lead her to getting information from the Al-Loy group about the cause of the deaths? If so, contact them. Maybe ask around my limited circle for rumors about these 'exploding corpses'.

If not, well, I am in Deliria. They deal in information. How can I get my hands on the autopsy notes, if they exist?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2016, 12:21:30 pm »

Aubrey

”Well. Let me start with the little bargaining power I have, if you will. Um. Malissa hinted there are some local problems that perhaps you do not have resources for. Now then. I’m sure you can guess, yes. I have been instructed to track down this Varkonius, who has been causing such disturbance. And now it occurs to me that perhaps he is responsible for these local problems. Perhaps. It also occurs to me that Al-Loy are reputed to be behind Varkonius’s disturbing, and I believe you may not be entirely happy with Al-Loy yourself, so perhaps I have a little extra for bargaining… Yes. Don’t worry! I have heard of Varkonius, and have not an intention of… confronting him, not myself. Or at all, if I can help it. But I need to find him. And if I can find him and stay alive, I would prefer that, I think… Hmm. Now, hmm.”

Aubrey had wanted to be a little more careful, and perhaps slowly introduce her requests, but there it was, all out before she could stop herself, but not exactly clear nevertheless. It was disorientating, just talking, sometimes, and even more so when pulled from the magical world of the gallery back to person-to-person interaction. She looked up at Fuzzy.

”Well. Um. There you go. Can you help me, Fuzzy?”

Fuzzy let out a chuckling growl, admiring a twelve foot tall metal statue of a snake rearing up to strike as he walked Aubrey by. “My resources are, as yet, sufficient to tend my own home. Maliss' exaggerates her needs, as ever, but I can't fault her for it. AL-Loy irritate me, particularly the ones here to debate rules and law with me, on my Deliria.” He shook his head, golden eyes flashing with defiance. “We may both have mercantile interests, but I don't seek to own and control everything I see. The AL-Loy are merchants to the core, seeking to own everything of value and force the rest of the galaxy to buy whatever they can't be bothered with.” Fuzzy shrugged, powerful shoulders slicing upwards. “Still, a small problem, and not worth spending a favor as valuable as yours.”

“For free, I can tell you that Mr. Davar is not responsible for my problems. I've dragged trouble in for lack of wanting to compromise, and so that problem lies with me, and me alone. I also do not believe that Mr. Davar is directly associated with AL-Loy, merely that his contact chose this place in order to keep the Tiamen from following directly.” Fuzzy stopped walking next one of the small waterfalls, sitting down in order to get to eye level with Aubrey. “I can provide some information. The price is that when you finish with this job, you and your crew return here. I'll have a proposal for you, a job. It will still pay, and all that I request is that you consider it seriously.”

“Of course,” Fuzzy adds, an afterthought accompanied by a knowing smile,  “deeper questions than I expect will require deeper pockets, but, as I said, I think I know your questions.” 

“As for where Mr. Davar is going to be, he's currently engaged to buy a goat in...” Fuzzy's pupils unfocus for a split second as he brings something up on his retina. “Twenty-two minutes. His accommodations are in the hostel on board the Flounder. The farm he's buying from is the Ciccio Ranch, and, considering that Davar makes a point of being early, he's probably on route already. He has no further business on world, and will likely return to the hostel in order to finish his primary business transaction to sell the Tiamen artifact and rest before heading out again. He is, as yet, unaware that his deal with the Ciccio Ranch was broadwaved instead of tight-beamed, and I, admittedly, am unaware of why that happened in the first place. He currently has no idea that he's about to be in the middle of a mercenary furball.”

Sadish

Action: Does Sadish have any contacts from her intellectual circles that could lead her to getting information from the Al-Loy group about the cause of the deaths? If so, contact them. Maybe ask around my limited circle for rumors about these 'exploding corpses'.

If not, well, I am in Deliria. They deal in information. How can I get my hands on the autopsy notes, if they exist?

Unfortunately, Sadish had made her best conduct on Deliria station all of twenty minutes ago. The others were well schooled in various fields with regards to ancient artifacts, but she'd been completely unable to befriend anyone in the medical field here. She'd tried to strike up a conversation with a few, but that had been one of those conversations where everyone else tried to flee as quickly as possible.

Accessing a Deliria intel broker, however, was quite easy. One filtered connection letter, Sadish had a distorted voice buzzing in her ear and a screen ready to transfer data. After being fed the video stream that Sadish had dug up, a list of products and prices flashes across the screen.

Spoiler: Shadow Broker Intel (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:02:06 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2016, 01:14:40 pm »

Sadish figured it would all be useful...but, money was a problem. Wasn't it always?

She decided to start with the chemical analysis. She figured alot of it would your basic bio-soup, but it would show evidence of any dangerous biological or chemical agents. Or who knew what else. Likewise, the lack of them would tell her their deaths were entirely related to physical trauma.

Action: Purchase the Secondhand Chem Breakdown of putrefied goo
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2016, 04:11:01 pm »

"It would be most fair if I discussed with my colleagues before engaging their time, Fuzzy. Please excuse me a minute."

Presuming I can speak to my colleagues or message them securely... communicate thus:
***URGENT*** ***RESPONSE REQUIRED***
Friends, I have the following intel so far:
First: I can obtain further information on our target's whereabouts, if we consider a job offer after this one without further engagement;
Second: it is unlikely the suspected corporation are behind this theft, at least directly;
Third: the target is currently staying on the other station, and is due to purchase this goat in 21 minutes on the Ciccio Ranch;
Fourth: it seems the above information was deliberately and widely leaked, and not by him;
Finally: this goat trade probably is not the stolen object trade.

Do you want to act immediately on the target?
Do you authorise my to request further intel?
Do you have specific questions for my source?

Assuming there is no objection to my continuing the questioning with Fuzzy:

"Fuzzy, we would be happy to hear your proposal. I have specific questions, yes. If the goat is not code for the trade, when is the trade of the stolen good to take place, and where? Who is the buyer? And as possible questions of interest if that does not empty my account, why are they buying it, and probably more importantly how in the name of the stars is Varkonius so lethal? Oh, and do you have his room number? Sorry, I should ha- Sorry. Let me stop there."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2016, 04:31:37 pm »

"It would be most fair if I discussed with my colleagues before engaging their time, Fuzzy. Please excuse me a minute."

Presuming I can speak to my colleagues or message them securely... communicate thus:
First: I can obtain further information on our target's whereabouts, if we consider a job offer after this one without further engagement;
Second: it is unlikely the suspected corporation are behind this theft, at least directly;
Third: the target is currently staying on the other station, and is due to purchase this goat in 21 minutes on the Ciccio Ranch;
Fourth: it seems the above information was deliberately and widely leaked, and not by him;

I also have some information, about a potential competitor...though this information you have makes me think it might have been something a bit worse.

*beep beep*

It seems to me if we go now, we're going to run into something that we were planned on running up against. Why leak his transmission unless you wanted mercies to show up? And, why would you want them to show up without a good reason? I've found that that the weapon potentially used against the vanished crews is...quite terrible...and highly effective. Witness all that is left of poor Grenac and his crew! Is it possible Mercies are being used to test this weapon? I don't have much more information right now, and certainly no defense...

As for your source, if you have a question, ask them about the killing of independent ships. Particularly grisly ones. It will likely not have escaped his attention as to the nature of the attack. I am also investigating this issue in pursuit of another job.

As for the offer of a second job, work is work, is it not? And surviving one job, is the only way you get to the second job. If his lead proves true, it sounds like a good offer to me.

She sends her information to the rest of the crew as well, including the disturbing video.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2016, 04:41:15 pm »

Add to my questions for Fuzzy - what does he know of the ship killings?

((apologies not at desk))

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2016, 11:32:14 pm »

Scarlet wasn't sure whether to be annoyed or relieved at a distraction. Though this meant she wasn't going to be retrieving those medical supplies. . .

"Shit. . . Well, this isn't a business for the slow. I'll say pretty much the same thing I said before; we wanna be close, but not -too- close. So let's go, chase him down now, if we can get moving in time. Let's see if we can't nail down his escape vector real quick and cut him off.

Just don't get shot in anything important; I don't have a lot to work with other than this goddamn ointment cream and band-aids."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2016, 07:15:56 am »

Boris gauged the merchandise with a spreading smile. These were some delightful designs, if hampered by their 'safeties' and other limitations. He'd have to see what he could do about that. The Chaos Swarm 'Nades he'd seen in action before. You could never quite predict the effect, but it made for an excellent assault weapon or distraction, sometimes a lethal one.

He noted new messages with a sigh and opened them up.

Brakhadakh.

Good work.
Go for further intel.
Ask who might be behind leak. (Might be Varkonius still?)
Work = cash. Cash = repairs. Repairs = life.

Have acquired component to delay radiation death. Also explosives.

Well, they were going to be late for the goat trade no matter what, but that wasn't so bad. Hopefully someone else would trigger the trap and let them see what the whole thing was about. Still, perhaps he could do something about their travel time...

Kestrosphendone Urchin and Chaos Swarm Grenades get!

Head back to ship to install the EM Flask and to take a look at the Bore Drive. It's a finicky bastard, but could something be done to boost its capabilities (without blowing up the ship... much)?

Spoiler: Boris Mundus (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2016, 09:20:35 am »

Boris

Head back to ship to install the EM Flask and to take a look at the Bore Drive. It's a finicky bastard, but could something be done to boost its capabilities (without blowing up the ship... much)?

Boris, despite never having left Deliria's docks, had managed to see everything that he wanted to see of that forsaken station. Rather than wait to take the Sled back, he chartered an automated short range shuttle to oversee the unloading of the EM Flask and his purchased munitions onto the Reunion. The short trip back gave him plenty of time to message Brakhadakh, as well as to muse about the Reunion's bore drive. He could install the EM flask around the reactor in an hour if was pressed, but upgrading the bore drive required a bit more... finesse.

The reunion's current bore system was reasonably advanced, and designed for a military carrier. As such it had two jobs: One, make large long-range bores to move the ship long distances without making too much 'noise' - subspace ripples detectable by FTL sensors. Two, make small short-range bores to rapidly deploy fighters into the fray and redirect incoming high-order weapons fire before it could strike the ship. From a standpoint of efficacy, she was an excellent bore drive, high-powered, long ranged, and without an unduly enormous subspace wake to give away her position. The problem was that she had been designed with a crew of military engineers in mind, as well as numerous support vessels and a supply chain to back her up. She was a maintenance whore, and burned out auxiliary coils and resonance stabilizers at a prodigious rate when working at her full potential.

User higher quality replacement parts would help, but that was more of a continual maintenance issue. What she needed was some sort of integrated repair system, like Scarlet's nanites, to make micro-scale repairs during high-intensity usage. It would likely be more effective to redo the circuitry and replace the δ-Harmonic alloy used by the current wiring with a δ-Neutral alloy in order to slash waste heat to about a fifth, but that would require a complete strip and refit of the Bore Drive, during which time it would be completely unusable. That and δ-Neutral materials were bloody expensive pieces of apex level tech.

Aubrey

"Fuzzy, we would be happy to hear your proposal. I have specific questions, yes. If the goat is not code for the trade, when is the trade of the stolen good to take place, and where? Who is the buyer? And as possible questions of interest if that does not empty my account, why are they buying it, and probably more importantly how in the name of the stars is Varkonius so lethal? Oh, and do you have his room number? Sorry, I should ha- Sorry. Let me stop there."

Fuzzy inclined his broad head and tilted slightly sideways, a motion of respect that pantomimed exposing the jugular. “Thank you. Now, as to your questions. Mr. Davar's room number is A23, and his deal is scheduled to take place on the Flounder itself in the lounge of its hostel. His buyer is also quite early -the nervousness of a first time criminal, I think- and will arrive at the station at approximately the same time Davar arrives on world. They are not, however, scheduled to make the exchange for another three hours. As for the why of it, well, that invites a bit of speculation.” Fuzzy stretched, sheathing and unsheathing is claws in a series of contemplative clicks against the hard floor.  “The buyer is a member of Tiamen, but he's a scientist- expatriated for his heretical belief in the progenitor race and, more importantly, for rejecting the idea that there is anything holy about the 'Relics' of his empire. Knowing that, I'd guess that he's associated with a group that seeks to destabilize the Tiamen theocracy itself and bring about some kind of radical movement- though it's a bit painful to think that rejecting space dross as a deity is a radical belief to any civilized race.”

“As for Mr. Davar... He's a man who thrives on chaos. Well trained, well educated, and completely unflappable. He's deadly because he doesn't panic, and that makes him rather difficult for most people to predict. Most animals, Neos and otherwise, flee from uncontrolled fire for fear of being burned. Davar would run straight into it if it would give him the advantage. Whether through modification or natural inclination, Davar is truly a fearless individual.”

The measured tempo of Fuzzy's claws clicking across the floor stopped abruptly when Aubrey brought up the deep space murders. “Aubrey,” he said, his voice quiet and serious, “do not get involved with that. I know there are people on this station who would wish to steer you towards him, to contract a group of mercenaries to help them in their crusade, but that one will kill you. I am not omniscient, but I do know that he is not after the Exile's Star.”

Sadish

Action: Purchase the Secondhand Chem Breakdown of putrefied goo

Bio-soup was an excellent way to describe the sample information that Sadish skimmed. Lacking time, she focused on the highlights. Keresh's remark about a bioweapon seemed accurate, rather frighteningly so. Most all material in the sample had rotted away, probably the result of the sample being run well after the initial event, but what was left didn't paint a pretty picture.

The weapon appeared bacterial, with a few fascinating remnant cells left behind that Sadish needed to spend more time studying, but the rest of soup didn't match what Sadish expected of the typical weapons blend. Most bio-weapons killed far too fast for the host's immune system to muster much defense, basically eating through their bodies and leaving behind a cocktail of burned out bacterial matter and half-digested cellular material from the host. The sample Sadish had, while clearly fast acting, had left behind a much more interesting blend than just cell-guts. It looked like the victim's body had been actively trying to fight the infection, but most of the protein bases for the defensive cells were improperly folded, as though the cutting process was interrupted- or vastly accelerated.

Judging by the video showing splatter marks, this disease didn't just consume the victim's cells, it accelerated their immune response well beyond its natural limit. The bacteria didn't seem to have been unduly damaged, but the effect turned the host into a bio-bomb of pus and rotting blood.

Still, despite how horrible it was, Sadish had a sample of the bacteria. She had immunization kits on board the Reunion, and she should be able to whip up vaccine fairly quickly. Such things were pretty much a necessity when one went hopping between a hundred different worlds that all had their own unique strain of bubonic plague.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2016, 09:56:32 am »

Sadish nodded. It was certainly a terrifying weapon...in fact, she assumed terror was it's primary use. There was nothing this virus could do, that a simple grenade couldn't. No, this weapon was designed to cause pain and fear. To spread rapidly through small, enclosed spaces and cause death with no chance of survival. If you released it on a crowded space station...

Now that she had the chemical analysis, she needed the disease vector. How had it gotten on board the ship? Planning a biological defense was only one part-you also needed a physical defense. If they could transmit a virus one way, they could transmit another virus the same.

She sent another message to her allies.

*Beep beep*

Good news, I guess. I've identified the bacteria used, and should be able to make a countermeasure. Also, I've got the black box data here with me, but I have no time to review it! Space tactics are not my expertise. Could someone review the data for me? I need to know how the disease got on Grenacs ship.

Anyway, I need to get started on these vaccines.

Sadish hardly saw the price as she purchased the blackbox data, before rising from her workstation and leaving as quick as she could.

Action: Buy Backimaged Blackbox data from KaGrenac's ship §4. I don't really have time to watch it, however-I have to get back to the ship and work on making some antidotes!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:03:13 pm by Dwarmin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2016, 10:11:11 am »

Aubrey also sends a message:
All. Exchange due in 3 hours. Highly advised to avoid Sadish lead and all connected to it. Considered unrelated to current task.

Fuzzy had given Aubrey the Fear. She wanted to get back to the ship and get going, or, indeed, not.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2016, 11:43:48 am »

Aubrey also sends a message:
All. Exchange due in 3 hours. Highly advised to avoid Sadish lead and all connected to it. Considered unrelated to current task.

Fuzzy had given Aubrey the Fear. She wanted to get back to the ship and get going, or, indeed, not.

*beep beep*

This is the sort of lead that finds you, not the other way around. If you let something like this in your system, there's nothing that can save you. Maybe it is unrelated to the Exiles Star, but it's still something we should be concerned about, and be prepared for. They are targeting people just like us. I'm not asking for a crusade, just simple self interest.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2016, 12:21:01 am »

While still on the ship and awaiting a response from Scarlet (but moreso because the player lacks time at the moment, mostly, to make a better response)...

Kesari saw the extremely subtle lighting hint up on her HUD once more--inasfar as a HUD appears when asymmetric in its visual, covering her better eye.

Quote from: Kesari's quick response
Au! :D
I'd love to know what weapons and the method our target uses them to be made available--we especially need to know what manners of transportation is available to the mark, or at least his dealer.
We also need to know a layout of escape routes--I'm on the ship and my plans for providing scanning intel don't seem to apply given what you say, so I may thoroughly be not that useful if he's on the station as you say.
Inquire on temporary failsafe measures in handling whatever tech he carries; apprehend immediately with allies. We have the benefit of surprise--do not waste it. We need to add knowledge into the solution for anything to be of affect--or if we cannot target our target, we can at least ensure the artifact is safely in our hands. Can you ask about the dealer too?

If you attack immediately, proceed with information to disable--often, technology is easier left disabled temporarily and you (the attackers) brought to a safer haven; you may have gained his ire unless he doesn't actually get any significant details. Disabling tech is also much easier than destroying them outright if I assume the numerous failsafes integrated...unless I forget; is his tech-use level integrated with his body and such?

Also maybe it's just me and my experiences but if this wasn't leaked by a source we know, there may be strings attached! Maybe even leaked by someone on his side or something (but he doesn't know so...there's an obvious third-party!)

*bloop*! And there was Sadish in her personalized customized emoticon appearing on her HUD again. Looks like Kes missed a ton of messages.
Good news, I guess. I've identified the bacteria used, and should be able to make a countermeasure. Also, I've got the black box data here with me, but I have no time to review it! Space tactics are not my expertise. Could someone review the data for me? I need to know how the disease got on Grenacs ship.

Anyway, I need to get started on these vaccines.

Quote from: Kesari :D
You can send it back to the ship and I can work on it for you to free up some time, probably go help Aubrey! I'm no expert but I at least am aware of what tools you've got on board!

Scarlet wasn't sure whether to be annoyed or relieved at a distraction. Though this meant she wasn't going to be retrieving those medical supplies. . .

"Shit. . . Well, this isn't a business for the slow. I'll say pretty much the same thing I said before; we wanna be close, but not -too- close. So let's go, chase him down now, if we can get moving in time. Let's see if we can't nail down his escape vector real quick and cut him off.

Just don't get shot in anything important; I don't have a lot to work with other than this goddamn ointment cream and band-aids."
"What's the plan now, Scarlet? I've got a notice from those on-station. I don't think my plans for providing intel and using our scanners can help as much here...unless I can jam any proceeding comms from the area of interest-hey that's an idea!"

Quote from: Re: Kesari to Aubrey!
Hey! Ask if whoever you're talking to (hopefully an authority or connected to one) is OK with our scanners providing a temporary jam to the section our mark is in. I'll orient and calibrate it to only allow those on our frequency and narrow out what I can presume his is given the details you tell me. Think that'll work?

Follow up on Scarlet no matter what she'll do--either embark and aid allies on the station, or stay on-ship and aid that way.
Kesari took note of the diagram and saved it in her encrypted datafiles. It was important, to say the least.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:31:28 am by Tiruin »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2016, 12:43:03 am »

"Meet up with everyone as quick as possible and try to sit on Varkonius's escape route once we're all gathered up. Hopefully, put a few bullets in him, grab the Star, and get out of dodge. We're gonna want to keep an eye on the other end of the transaction, too, in case he's handing the thing off - we can probably be gentler with whoever that is. Hell, we might even be able to nick an extra reward if we bring in the person trying to snap up a 'holy relic.'

Oh, and like I said, do me a favor and don't get shot."

Scarlet glared at the console. "Yeah, this is gonna have to wait. Should probably put this goddamn drone back, though. . ."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2016, 04:41:34 pm »

"Thank you, Fuzzy. I think I need to leave... quickly. Do you know Mr Davar's ship? Or his buyer's? I will do my best to stay away from this other threat, and to come back to listen to your proposal. Oh, and to buy you a drink gift. I'll try to remember. Oh, but - Ciccio? is this anything we should be wary off?"

Get back to the ship. And presumably plot a course for the Flounder in time to get there before the transaction, if possible.

Probably on the way back look to buy a jump calculation if I can afford it as we'll need it to not be late!

edit: minor edit ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:19:28 pm by lawastooshort »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27