Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Picking performers, scholars, tavern keepers and the like  (Read 5267 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Picking performers, scholars, tavern keepers and the like
« on: October 03, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »

How do you go about it? is there a good way to find the right person for the job? Is it true that having a tavern keeper will cause drunken fights and alcohol poisoning? No, really, have you personally seen it happen or is this just another DF forum rumor that people keep spreading without any proof?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Picking performers, scholars, tavern keepers and the like
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:43:43 pm »

Look for innate skills on your dwarfs.

Typically, dwarves with aptitudes will have something higher than "dabbling" in a related skill. For performers, this would include skill with musical instruments, singing, dancing, et all.

Scholars are harder to pin down.  I have taken to seeing who likes reading books the most as an idle activity.

So far, I have not supplied booze to my tavern. I have a tavern keeper assigned, but he spends all his time watching the performers.  There have been arguments, but no bloody drunken brawls.  Access to alcohol appears related to having a booze stockpile inside the tavern's activity zone, and seems to be associated with reports of lethal alcohol consumption.  If such a mechanic does exist, I am not set to see it, and it would like affect dwarves with the "immoderation" attribute for setups that do allow alcohol. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 05:53:05 pm by wierd »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 05:54:19 pm »

The wiki says that valuing knowledge is essential for a scholar or scribe. Makes sense to me. I bet those who value knowledge would tend to read more, too. Looking through my current population of 100, I found three who value knowledge.

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 06:10:38 pm »

Tavern keepers drain booze supplies by serving it, and there's not much else they do.
Performers should have poetry, speaking, singing, music or dancing  skills. but anyone can be a performer. Helpful traits are spatial sense, musical sense, a way with words etc.
Scribe should have reader and writer skills, and if you want them to write original works, wordsmith helps.
For libraries, look and see if anyone goes to read a book. If so, consider making them a scholar. I'm not sure, but probably intellect would help with library-stuff