Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How to respond to warning?  (Read 6164 times)

IHaveAFewQuestions

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of incompetence
    • View Profile
How to respond to warning?
« on: October 03, 2016, 12:36:18 pm »

I got a warning for saying I'm retarded(I'm retarded!), and I made a reply but I can't send it because I don't know who to send it to.

The author is, "bay 12 forums".

Any help, pretty please?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: How to respond to warning?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »

Do not reply, just accept and move on.    :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

IHaveAFewQuestions

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of incompetence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 12:39:18 pm »

Well then what do I do, just pretend to be a normal person?

I mean unless you have some buzzwords I can use...?

IHaveAFewQuestions

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of incompetence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 12:40:38 pm »

That and I never got an explanation for why I should stop, just that its been reported as "trolling".

Are people that offended, I mean unless I'm not reading this correctly(I'm retarded!).

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:48:37 pm »

Is there a reason why you're adding "I'm retarded!" there?

Technically, if you are referring to yourself with well-meaning intent, and this is something honestly meant on your part, 'retarded' isn't the word to be used; if you've an intellectual disability--there are better terms to describe yourself that way (as in if you're attempting to let others know if you have an impediment that affects your understanding and you're saying you're retarded as a note for understanding, the term 'retarded' has been replaced by intellectual disability, because of how...crude, 'retarded' sounded.)

In a way, it may also come off as trolling since you seem to have several adjectives denouncing yourself on your profile, like:
Personal Text: Lord of incompetence
So to forum-goers, it looks 'off', as in it looks strange for someone to be having those labels (even if considering you may have ID--the acronym for intellectual disability, calling yourself these terms are not common or expected).

Unless you're merely saying "I'm retarded" for any other reason (ie You've been mocked or teased for a long period of time, rather than diagnosed or otherwise)--it's better to mention the reason behind why you're saying so. If otherwise, it's best to not mention it that way, or whenever you feel the need to. You can just ask instead for people to explain clearly.

Basically, in general, people don't know why you're saying "I'm retarded", and that along with several other things (ie That personal text) can give off ...not a good impression.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 12:52:44 pm by Tiruin »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 02:52:27 pm »

Probably just people getting offended by the word. Apparently, it's an offensive enough word that it's nearing the same level of taboo as the n-word, and while i do respect that, i personally just see it as a word. My suggestion would be to either drop it altogether or replace it with "i'm a doofus" or something like that, since i have had people jump down my throat for saying THE R-WORD before. That, and turn down the passive aggression a little. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 03:08:23 pm »

Is there a reason why you're adding "I'm retarded!" there?

Technically, if you are referring to yourself with well-meaning intent, and this is something honestly meant on your part, 'retarded' isn't the word to be used; if you've an intellectual disability--there are better terms to describe yourself that way (as in if you're attempting to let others know if you have an impediment that affects your understanding and you're saying you're retarded as a note for understanding, the term 'retarded' has been replaced by intellectual disability, because of how...crude, 'retarded' sounded.)

In a way, it may also come off as trolling since you seem to have several adjectives denouncing yourself on your profile, like:
Personal Text: Lord of incompetence
So to forum-goers, it looks 'off', as in it looks strange for someone to be having those labels (even if considering you may have ID--the acronym for intellectual disability, calling yourself these terms are not common or expected).

Unless you're merely saying "I'm retarded" for any other reason (ie You've been mocked or teased for a long period of time, rather than diagnosed or otherwise)--it's better to mention the reason behind why you're saying so. If otherwise, it's best to not mention it that way, or whenever you feel the need to. You can just ask instead for people to explain clearly.

Basically, in general, people don't know why you're saying "I'm retarded", and that along with several other things (ie That personal text) can give off ...not a good impression.

While well meaning, I can see how this is expecting too much.  If a person, for instance, has a severe handicap with language, expecting them to call themselves "Linguistically challenged" is silly. It expects them to perform a feat that is not really within their grasp. Instead, they may say "I not good with words" or something similarly simple and contrite. Some might consider this offensive, due to Poe's Law, believing that the individual is lampooning a challenged person with puerile intent.

Likewise, a person with a severe cogitative handicap, may refer to themselves as "retarded", because the word is easy to understand, and widely known, despite the negative associations the word carries.  Due to their handicap, expecting them to use a more clinical and thus less emotionally loaded term is a non-sequitor.  That's like asking a double leg amputee to stand up. 

Further, the person who really does have such a handicap might not be capable of understanding the fullness of the negative association of the easier, well used word for the issue, and thus may genuinely and truly not understand the sanctions placed on them for using it.

In our zeal to silence people who use the word hurtfully (to stop the hurtful intentions), we should not cause emotional harm to those that use it innocently.

One of the many reasons why I greatly detest things like zero tolerance, and the kinds of convoluted thought that political correctness produces.

I especially dislike the "It offended me! I am offended even though I dont have that disability because somebody used that word! Therefor TROLL! No exceptions!!" mindset that often accompanies these things, because they are very much anti-victim, and pro justice-warrior in nature. 

Remember, just because something might have offended you, does not mean the person who did it meant to be offensive, and when the only road to avoiding being offensive is to force the actual victims into an impossible situation, it is doubly unacceptable.

I know you are a good person Tiruin, and would never consider doing such things consciously. I just ask that you be more mindful of what you did not intend, much like thread's parent, ironically.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 04:16:48 pm »

It's pretty simple. Don't use words and phrases that would offend people. Even when referring to yourself. This forum is very report happy compared to other places on the Internet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 05:35:00 pm »

I noticed.

Still, my response has not changed.  I simply find overzealous reporting to be contradictory to establishing a place where people feel safe to discuss challenging subjects, and can feel accepted for who and what they are.

Being considerate necessitates tolerance.

It is irrational to preach being considerate, while also advocating intolerance.

IHaveAFewQuestions

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of incompetence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 05:39:34 pm »

It's pretty simple. Don't use words and phrases that would offend people. Even when referring to yourself. This forum is very report happy compared to other places on the Internet.

Alright fine, I'll stop.

I won't disturb the peace anymore, so I'll just uh walk away..?

Yeah I'll just slowly back away from my laptop, maybe come back tomorrow.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 06:38:24 pm »

I noticed.

Still, my response has not changed.  I simply find overzealous reporting to be contradictory to establishing a place where people feel safe to discuss challenging subjects, and can feel accepted for who and what they are.

Being considerate necessitates tolerance.

It is irrational to preach being considerate, while also advocating intolerance.

I'd like to think Toady isn't a Google algorithm and has the ability to parse a reported post and make his own decision about whether or not it was inappropriate.

But point in fact: your ability to discuss challenging subjects and be accepted for who you are is not infringed by a prohibition against using slurs. Unless of course using slurs is who you are. In which case you're on the wrong forums for that.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 08:20:57 pm »

I don't much care for the accusational tone, but please re-read my response to Tiruin. It should lay such unfounded inferences to rest.

My point was this:

A person who has a mental handicap has a mental handicap. Expecting them to refer to themselves as handicapped may well be an over-reach, as the magic wording you are seeking may be outside their grasp.

In such cases, getting all huffy at them is for not using the preferred vocabulary is like getting huffy at a spinal injury sufferer for not getting up and running for you.

If the intention is to make people feel welcome, despite such adversities, then being intolerant is precisely the wrong way to go about it. 

Being considerate requires tolerance.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 08:59:46 pm »

It wasn't meant to be taken as an accusation. Sorry for the poor choice of person in that phrasing.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:37:50 pm by nenjin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 09:28:48 pm »

Indeed, however, even use of things like the N word have reasonable and appropriate occasion, and even some forms where it would indeed be quite offensive, but not intend to be.

Say for instance, when used by a very old person who does not mean its use as a slur, but in place of "colored", or " black", or any other syonymns.  It *was* commonly used that way over a half century ago, and this hypothetical person is pushing 70 or 80, and likely has some form of cognitative decline.  Jumping straight in and making declarations of racism only antagonizes an uncomfortable circumstance.

IMO, in such a circumstance, the correct first action is not to get all huffy, and antagonistic. The use of language is not meant to be offensive, it is just unfortunate. I would propose a polite request to abstain from further using that word, due to its associations, and politely offer an alternative.

I see that kind of thing a lot after working part time at the local care home.

Since we cannot be certain of a great many things about the people we encounter online, we need to avoid, most strongly, jumping the gun on being accusational. I really cannot advocate a default position of antagonistic intolerance as a consequence. If the other party leaves no doubt about the matter if their intent and capacity for that intent, by all means, report them.  However, every attempt to see things diplomatically need to be exhausted first.

It is this need to at least try to make a real determination that makes me cringe about the rampant, instantly hostile tact I see by many people online at the briefest mention of such words, when they claim to be enlightened and tolerant.

Intent and meaning are what matter most. Not the words used.

As for toady not being an unthinking auto filter, that goes without saying.  However, toady does like to keep the peace, and diplomacy is sometimes ugly. If many people react with hostility, his main goal will be to shut that hostility down. If the other patrons of the forum cannot help themselves in their hostile behavior, he will have no recourse but to admonish everyone, dispense warnings, and lock threads.  I have seen it happen.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 09:54:23 pm »

I know you are a good person Tiruin, and would never consider doing such things consciously. I just ask that you be more mindful of what you did not intend, much like thread's parent, ironically.
Oh ._. Thanks wierd! I mean, I was replying more to IHALOQ's note of trolling and he was confused by it, so I tried explaining that perhaps those terms being used in such a way could give off the impression that 'someone is using this account and making it look like {a negative impression}'. I'm aware of the use of terms though :O We take it up in SPED--that its also to the person's wish on what to say or use. I didn't personally see it as offensive at all, but considering the warning given and his confusion, I tried to clarify a bit there.

I especially dislike the "It offended me! I am offended even though I dont have that disability because somebody used that word! Therefor TROLL! No exceptions!!" mindset that often accompanies these things, because they are very much anti-victim, and pro justice-warrior in nature. 
This :O I get it can occur but...noticing Questions' posting history, there's no intent for any offense--hence why I figured 'maybe its just how he seems to present' is being the case, so its contextual.

Alright fine, I'll stop.

I won't disturb the peace anymore, so I'll just uh walk away..?

Yeah I'll just slowly back away from my laptop, maybe come back tomorrow.
Oh, um, not really on the 'walk away' part. It's more like, you can use better phrases or words to show your intent, like when you feel like adding the I'm retarded! part there whenever the situation comes up so there won't be misunderstandings, you could say "I take things literally" or "could I ask a simple explanation" if it seems too complex at times.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4