Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Better Red than Dead OOC: The Barbellate Beginning - Party Congress Results  (Read 7390 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check for a country management game.
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2016, 08:40:59 am »

Ah, South Africa recognizes us?  Apartheid South Africa that supported anti-Communist guerillas in Mozambique and Angola and actively occupied Namibia with a goal of annexation until 1988?  While I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth it seems a touch odd to see South Africa and the USSR unite in support of our government. 

EDIT:
Also, for the vegetation: vegetation map, Köppen climate classification, and topography

Also, by the bye, historically production of crude from the Niger delta began in 1957, with the first test drillings in 1951.  With it divided, that may take longer. Though expectations are that oil is present in the area, much of the exploration that has revealed Nigeria's reserves has not yet come to fruition yet, and may have also been delayed by the civil war, especially since I doubt Shell-BP is very welcome in Communist Nigeria.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:49:38 am by Culise »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2016, 09:09:05 am »

It is not quite the Apartheid South Africa due to Jan Smuts defeating Malan in the elections. In the game's universe, Smuts pursues a segregation policy that doesn't mean war with South Africa's neighbours or killing off the country's black population.

So no, it is not Apartheid South Africa. Yet, at least.

About the oil in the Niger Delta, you don't really know you have it yet, and you sure don't have the means or technology to start exploiting it. Nor do you control the Niger Delta itself.

Prepare for godawful historical inaccuracies, bias, yuropoor perspective, ye whoth dareth enter.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2016, 09:27:59 am »

Digging the background you've put into it so far. Getting a Twilight Struggle/ Hidden Agenda vibe :)

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2016, 10:16:57 am »

Maybe one closer to Eygpt for extra fun?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 10:24:34 am »

Unless you want to be Sudan or Libya, you will have the glorious republic of the desert.

Which wouldn't be all that fun because having all of 30 000 citizens isn't very useful. Besides, North Africa is pretty homogenous and close to Europe, which reduces the !!FUN!! of Africa. The nations there are already completely established and have been for a long time.

Besides I can't be bothered to write up another backstory.

More importantly, I'm planning on making the IC thread and properly starting tomorrow. I shall turn this into an OOC thread. Any propositions for the game title? I need to admit, I am a bit stumped here.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:27:23 am by SaberToothTiger »
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 11:05:20 am »

You Are A Newly Communist Nation.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 03:26:23 pm »

Better Red than Dead: Adventures in Communism and Decolonization

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 06:31:18 pm »

I like this one, it has that epic feel.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 06:39:44 pm »

I like this one, it has that epic feel.
Bit of an unfitting tone, in my opinion. And specific.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2016, 07:26:18 am »

I like Knave's Proposal. Unless anyone explicitly has anything against it, we will use "Better Red than Dead: *Subtitle regarding to turn*".

And now I am making the IC topic. The character sheet will be as follows:

Name: Either go with English styled names, or try and emulate Nigerian names. Or from whatever nation your character is.
Nationality: British/Nigerian/That New Communist Nigerian Unnamed Country/A particular tribe from the region/Other.
Short Backstory: A few sentences will do. Basically what did you do before the revolution and how you got to be one of the highest ranking Party members.
Specialty: You get to pick one thing, related to your backstory, which you can do very well. Your expertise on the subject can greatly boost the effect of proposals relevant to it. Only applies to proposals given by you.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:04:42 am by SaberToothTiger »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Better Red than Dead OOC: Preparation and Prologue.
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2016, 07:51:09 am »

Name: Ajhihad Molhrami
Nationality: Nigerian
Backstory: Ajhihad always had a way with people. In the early days of the revolution, he secured new allies and had a hand in negotiating the cease-fire.
Specialty: Diplomacy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:56:50 am by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2016, 08:56:11 am »

Name: Jackson O'Neil
Nationality: British
Short Backstory: A British Republician, O'Neil was the local commander of the British garrison of the current we-defacto capital. O'Neil decided that since he could help his own countrymen overthrow the chaina of the monarch he would stay behind and aid those he defend be free from it.
Specialty: Military Leadership
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 09:01:40 am »

Name: Argyle Thomason
Nationality: British
Short Backstory: Argyle was well known as a scrupulous businessman in the wider area, and a supporter of the native populations.  When the revolution broke out, he supplied necessities to the populace out of his own funds.
Specialty: Acquisitions/Trade
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2016, 09:14:29 am »

Name: Alester Akala
Nationality: Nigerian/British
Backstory: The son of mixed parents. Some say that Alester was trained by MI6, others say he was an ex-MGB agent. What is clear is that he excelled in his role during the war as a high-ranking intelligence officer. He is credited with discovering and neutralizing several large threats over the course of the war, but some argue that the severity of these threats was overemphasized to remove his rivals from power. He now turns his attention to securing the nation from threats within and abroad.
Specialty: Subterfuge

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 09:30:05 am »

Name: Silayev Gerasim Rodionovich
Nationality: Russian
Short Backstory: Silayev was born in Russia during 1917, his life was mostly uninteresting until 1941 when he was drafted into the army and fought in many battles against the fascist's, after the war he made it his goal to export the revolution and came here shortly before the fires of the revolution started. When the revolution did start he helped by using superior tactics and thanks to his work many battles against the oppressors where won with few casualty's, he aims to make this country just as good as his home and is willing to fight any capitalist or fascist who dares to try to destroy this nation.
Specialty Military Tactics.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9