Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Conspiracy Corner  (Read 8139 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Corner
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2016, 03:26:51 pm »

Yeah, that's completely wrong. "NSA" is mentioned in the 1976 Church Committee's Senate report:

http://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sites/default/files/94755_II.pdf
^ Mentions the NSA in the 1976 Senate report. And the Church Committee report was huge news. Basically everyone in journalism read this report. So anyone keeping up with politics would have known about the NSA from at least the 1970's due to the whole Nixon thing and the senate investigations.

https://www.amazon.com/Intelligence-Activities-Rights-Americans-Wiretaps/dp/1934941212
^ This 2008 revised edition of the Church Committee report which you can buy on Amazon even says "NSA" on the cover, and that's 5 years before Snowden even got a job at the NSA.

Perhaps heydude6, you're thinking the NSA is some recent thing created by the Bush Administration. Well, no actually ;D it's been around since WWII, originally as the Signals Security Agency, to intercept Axis communications, and then reorganized the Army Security Agency after the war. It was officially the NSA from 1952, and did a lot of wiretapping of dissidents, but it's existence wasn't widely known until the 1976 report.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:34:46 pm by Reelya »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2016, 03:40:16 pm »

I thought it was even common knowledge that the NSA kept a watch on certain keywords to combat terror after 9/11. The Patriot Act was enacted in 2001, 12 years before Snowden.

People would joke about Googling stuff like how to make bombs and getting put on a watchlist.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:45:06 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2016, 04:04:08 pm »

(dated 1999) http://slashdot.org/story/8546 - well-known to exist
(dated 1996) http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jhancock/lists/usenet.html - mentioned in point 39
...and I probably first encountered "<List of 'sensitive' words> Hello to all my friends at the NSA" in an email/usenet signature as a common meme in '91, but as signatures seem to be excluded from Google and/or archives from that time never actually made it into Google Groups intact enough, no easy proof.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:05:48 pm by Starver »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2016, 04:26:36 pm »

Ok, sorry about that then. I didn't realized Snowden happened so recently. I thought that was something that happened in the 90s or 80s.

What exactly did Snowden do then?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2016, 04:52:50 pm »

Snowden got a job at the NSA, he discovered what they do there (snooping on Americans) and leaked documents proving it. He is actually pretty young: he was born in 1983. So yeah, he's a guy from the 1980's, technically speaking ;D But his leak was literally in 2013, so it's very recent stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M
This is John Oliver's episode about government surveillance and Snowden. The show surveyed people at random, and without any cherry-picking most people believe outright lies such as Snowden leaked vital military secrets putting our troops in Iraq at risk. And killing poor innocent puppies (joke).

Well, none of what he leaked had anything to do with military secrets. What he revealed was actually how the U.S. government sneakily spies on it's own people. In ways that are basically illegal and very unconstitutional. But it's in the interests of the establishment for people to think Snowden is a puppy-killing traitor of course, so the media twists things around by talking up how dangerous he is and that he put American lives at risk.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 05:01:51 pm by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2016, 04:54:14 pm »

bork starts a conspiracy thread with a post asking people to 'pm me'.

hooh bois.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2016, 05:02:29 pm »

I never sent a pm. Would I lie to you?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2016, 05:06:26 pm »

>.>

<.<

the government has altered your post x_x

ummm, to contribuite, I heard 'somethingsomething more wikileaks' on the news the other day.  what?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2016, 05:49:39 pm »

>.>

<.<

the government has not, I repeat not altered your post x_x

ummm, to contribuite, I heard 'somethingsomething more wikileaks' on the news the other day.  what?
Hilary's private speeches, wasn't it? And they were pretty low-grade stuff that realistically got forgotten about by most people who were now arguing their own particular partisan perspective on Trump's wandering libido...

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2016, 06:41:17 pm »

I fucking revived conspiracy corner!
Its almost too good to be true..

I find it funny that people are possibly getting upset that Trump is a dog of a man Reptile when Clinton will fuck the whole country compared to one dumb blonde

Make america grate their own cheese again!
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2016, 06:48:07 pm »

We can control stupid.

We cant really control conniving liar
PKs DF Mod!

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2016, 07:18:27 pm »

We can control stupid.

We cant really control conniving liar

Yeah how easy would it be to reel Trump in.
Just bring in the honey pot.
Clinton is a whore
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2016, 09:45:38 pm »

For your consideration. The big takeaway from this video isn't that the moon landing really happened, because that is fucking obvious. However, the part about the difference between fake conspiracies and real conspiracies is very good, and demonstrates the things we actually need to watch out for: corporate consolidation, ideological indoctrination, intentional incitement of wars, etc.

Real conspiracies aren't truly secret, they're obscured and/or normalized.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2016, 12:08:11 am »

I don't really think this thread is a good idea, there's a reason why such a thread doesn't exist.
Oh there's a reason all right....just not the one you *think* you know..... :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2016, 04:09:09 am »

For your consideration. The big takeaway from this video isn't that the moon landing really happened, because that is fucking obvious. However, the part about the difference between fake conspiracies and real conspiracies is very good, and demonstrates the things we actually need to watch out for: corporate consolidation, ideological indoctrination, intentional incitement of wars, etc.

Real conspiracies aren't truly secret, they're obscured and/or normalized.

The seven sister Cartel was a great one : secret meeting in a Scottish castle and global price-fixing of oil. Lasted a while, too.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6