Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bay 12 harassment - solution offered  (Read 1458 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
bay 12 harassment - solution offered
« on: October 02, 2016, 01:50:36 am »

Hi I am seeking out a moderator I can get assistance on an issue I'm having.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:19:20 pm by roseheart »
May your dreams be everlasting and golden.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: bay 12 harassment
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 02:00:51 am »

The easiest way would be to click the "report to moderator" button on the bottom-right of any offending posts, then give a couple words in the explanation box to let Toady know what's going on. If it's a PM issue you can block the person or people by navigating like so: Profile->Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List, then type in the search box until their name comes up. Could PM Toady with quotes as well, since there's no way (that I know of) to directly report a PM.

Though, uh. If this is just about people snarking about that one thing, good luck getting anyone punished for that (unless they're actually insulting you as a person). That, and if you pulled someone into a PM conversation and helped escalate things to personal attacks, it's dead easy for the other party to call you out if you try to play for sympathy, speaking from experience.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:02:28 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 02:10:29 am »

I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 02:15:56 am »

Though, uh. If this is just about people snarking about that one thing, good luck getting anyone punished for that (unless they're actually insulting you as a person). That, and if you pulled someone into a PM conversation and helped escalate things to personal attacks, it's dead easy for the other party to call you out if you try to play for sympathy, speaking from experience.
I'm not sure what this comment is about but I may be too close to the event then I am reading into it so I will just let it go. I'm really not sure what that 'one thing' is. Again I could guess but I might be just painting your words.

The easiest way would be to click the "report to moderator" button on the bottom-right of any offending posts, then give a couple words in the explanation box to let Toady know what's going on. If it's a PM issue you can block the person or people by navigating like so: Profile->Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List, then type in the search box until their name comes up. Could PM Toady with quotes as well, since there's no way (that I know of) to directly report a PM.

K

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: bay 12 harassment - solution offered
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 02:28:07 am »

The person has been rude and I think they acted from a spiteful spirit. I don't think they've done enough to be harassment now that I've had some time. It was more that I foresaw some kind of issue developing. Oh geez I might as well just talk about the whole damn thing. Anyway thanks I think I have a better understanding what to do if I need help in the future.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 02:42:27 am »

It's actually kind of funny... And a compliment... In a weird way.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 08:48:29 am »

If it's possible to settle this privately (ie In PMs), do it. Talking about the situation vaguely within a Life Advice thread won't help at all in seeking a solution. Nobody will understand it unless context is given, and it's important to emphasize maturity in interaction with all that--before accusing others of harassment, make sure it really is actually that, than something you're unsure how to respond to. (ie snark and otherwise do happen; how you respond to it also matters, sometimes just asking about the whole thing with them or asking them to stop, directly, also works. Or ask why they're doing that. Depends on what's happening).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:25:56 pm »

When you're finished with this thread too, I'd lock it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 12:32:45 pm »

When you're finished with this thread too, I'd lock it.

The lock button should be in the bottom left. Or was it the bottom right?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 12:58:07 pm »

There was a young man in a smock
with a thread that he couldn't lock
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 01:19:35 pm »

If it's possible to settle this privately (ie In PMs), do it. Talking about the situation vaguely within a Life Advice thread won't help at all in seeking a solution. Nobody will understand it unless context is given, and it's important to emphasize maturity in interaction with all that--before accusing others of harassment, make sure it really is actually that, than something you're unsure how to respond to. (ie snark and otherwise do happen; how you respond to it also matters, sometimes just asking about the whole thing with them or asking them to stop, directly, also works. Or ask why they're doing that. Depends on what's happening).
Yeah, seconding this. Reporting someone is the nuclear option, not the first resort. If you think they're doing it intentionally, ask, because there's a good chance that they didn't intend to come off the way they were, and if they did it's possible that just telling them to stop and ignoring follow-up will end it. Talking things out generally leads to the best outcomes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 03:18:22 pm »

I did choose to interact with them in PM's. I came to the realization it was predatory behavior and it feeds off of my willingness to participate so I chose not to any longer. Thanks for the help.