Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's Fight HFS.  (Read 2399 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Fight HFS.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 12:13:20 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 02:10:57 am »

What happen if one of the demons has a gas or dust attack?
It will waste all melee dorfs around it in one turn.
Further more, melee dorfs can't target fire demons because they will avoid hot tiles.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:13:19 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 06:07:54 am »

Not necessarily for dust attack. Older version, but gemclod managed to kill a single dinosaur with deadly dust by throwing dwarves at it in the moment it decided to wrestle instead of dust things (might not work anymore due multi-attack) (they still lost over 100 dwarves doing this, though :v).

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 06:12:37 am »

thincake

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 11:46:07 am »

It sounds like the best idea is to do a 1x1 embark with high pop and streamlined production and pathing, so I can maintain high FPS as I train my soldiers into a giant mob of steel.  To make sure the fight isn't a complete wash, just raise the demon type to like 20, some of them will surely be dangerous.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 12:13:35 pm »

This is interesting, never really fought the clowns myself mostly because of how dangerous they can be. Would be interesting to see a fair fight... As fair as dwarves vs demons gets at least.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 02:04:00 am »

I'm hoping to try this too, using some 240+ tile hallways and ballistae.
 Probably wont make it that far tho, I've got some unknown instability going on. It took nine tries to go fifteen days. Gotta find the source of that, I'll look at ram usage first. Might be finally time for LAA.  :P

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 04:21:56 am »

It sounds like the best idea is to do a 1x1 embark with high pop and streamlined production and pathing, so I can maintain high FPS as I train my soldiers into a giant mob of steel.  To make sure the fight isn't a complete wash, just raise the demon type to like 20, some of them will surely be dangerous.

This might be counter-productive, as I'm pretty sure you only get 3 types per embark
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 06:50:20 pm »

Clowns are very similiar to Forgotten Beasts in that sometimes you get some silly thing like a hummingbird made of mist that gets killed by one of your cats and other times you get a civilization ending winged abomination made of steel with brain melting deadly dust that rips through a hundred omni-legendary, candy-clad axelords which were each capable of killing an entire goblin siege by themselves. Often you will get something in between.

Just keep an eye out for the fire based ones, webbers, innorganics made of stuff stronger than your weapons and those that carry deadly dust and syndromes. I highly recommend starting the fight by dumping a bunch of war beasts, prisoners of war etc. onto the clowns and see what happens. That should give you an idea of which clowns pose a real threat and will need to be approached carefully and which can just be mowed down without thought like normal enemies.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 07:30:02 pm »

I've only once managed to fight the HFS once (ended in the fort being massacred) simply because they bring the world grinding to a halt. I just don't have the patience for 0-1 fps.
Are there any adjustments that can made to them to make this less showstopping?
Would less types help?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 08:02:05 pm »

I'd suggest less room to path to. When I've gone through SMR to pop the car, I've noticed that the FPS doesn't drop till a pack finds the hole and goes straight to the surface to fly in the bright sky.

I recall another report of massive FPS drop in succession whenever caverns and HFS were connected.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2016, 09:51:39 pm »

HFS kills frames by pathing.  Each can fly and if they can reach the surface and/or caverns, that leaves EVERY TILE pathable.  Consider sealing them for the fight, by temporary cave-in or obsidian casting, and later digging it out.  A smaller map would also have less pathing.
Pages: 1 [2]