Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Children - Do you put them to work?  (Read 1156 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Children - Do you put them to work?
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:11:00 am »

I do. I did it accidently, because I was using Dwarf Foreman to set all dwarves to "If you can't find anything else to do, cook, brew, or farm" but now he's a Grower and a dabbler at a lot of stuff. Including Siege Operator, just because it's funny, and dwarven kids are extremely precocious.

Espcially since goblins killed his mother and stole his sister. I figure he deserves some payback.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Children - Do you put them to work?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:17:00 am »

Immigrant children don't get the slightest bit of slack. They're set as serfs, like the other immigrants (except when I want to start an industry - I always use those who don't have social skills yet).

Native children get protected.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

I don't make them work (mostly because I don't really know how) but I did make children only take a single year to mature, so I don't really care if don't do any big jobs.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

You need to use dwarf foreman. It's on the wiki under utilities.
I did once, in an old fortress... I haven't recently. Perhaps I will. Of course, I don't have any children at the moment in my primary fortress, because I just reclaimed it.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

It was an accident, but one I found funny enough to let stand.

Now I've got two novice pint-sized siege engineer/siege operators running around gleefully slaughtering all the spare animals in the fortress.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

I can't because I have a Mac and therefore can't run such "utilities" as Dwarf Foreman. If strange moods count, however, then yes.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MaxVance:
<STRONG>I can't because I have a Mac and therefore can't run such "utilities" as Dwarf Foreman. If strange moods count, however, then yes.</STRONG>

I feel sympathy, brother. Turn back from the Dark Side!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

If they're old enough to drink, they're old enough to be sent down a mine shaft.   ;)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

so basically so long as they aren't babies?  ;)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

I like them as my siege operator/engineer force, actually...

It's fun! What kid dosen't like to hear "Commander, fire at will!"

Karpatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

I usually let children run free, since this gets a few extra hands down at the farm.

I think by default children might do some random jobs on their own as I seen some random dabbling skills on my children, but strange moods and harvesting ( presuming you've set all dwarfs to harvest crops ) are the only jobs children do without child-labor-tools.

And if your gonna be a dwarf, you have to train your drinking as early as possible. Might as well, when you got parents to care for your hangover... atleast for a few years...

Karpatius cancels Eat: thirsty.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius cancels Drink: no water source.
Karpatius has died of thirst.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

You generally can't assign labors to kids. However, they will pick food from farms when it matures, so they often become legendary growers by the time they're adults.

This suggests a disconnect in dwarven skill-sets. When a dwarf immigrant arrives, shouldn't he be a legendary grower and a novice cheesemaker? Then again, how many legendary growers do you really need?

Anyway. Sometimes it gets mixed up and the kids start taking on jobs of their own. I once had a few kids who were masons and actually did construction jobs. I suspect it had something to do with them performing deconstruction jobs, which gave enough XP to give them skill levels, which encouraged them to take on regular masonry jobs. But who knows?

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LeoLeonardoIII:
<STRONG>You generally can't assign labors to kids. However, they will pick food from farms when it matures, so they often become legendary growers by the time they're adults.

This suggests a disconnect in dwarven skill-sets. When a dwarf immigrant arrives, shouldn't he be a legendary grower and a novice cheesemaker? Then again, how many legendary growers do you really need?</STRONG>

Their home fortresses probably only allow farmers to harvest. It makes sense to only allow skilled people to handl crops in a larger community with a lot more dwarf power than a simple outpost.

[DEMONLORD]

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Poil:
<STRONG>

Their home fortresses probably only allow farmers to harvest. It makes sense to only allow skilled people to handl crops in a larger community with a lot more dwarf power than a simple outpost.</STRONG>

Not really, as far as I can tell the picker's skill does not affect the crop in any way, and the children won't do anything else (except bring things to the depot). So it makes more sense to let them pick so your legendary growers can get back to planting asap.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

As I said, I use Dwarf Foreman to assign labors to the children.

Specifically, they're all growers, butchers, chefs, brewers, siege engineers, and siege operators.

Pages: [1] 2