Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zombie Ibex Mosh Pile: Halp  (Read 1982 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Zombie Ibex Mosh Pile: Halp
« on: September 30, 2016, 02:06:09 pm »

I have like 30 dwarves and a millitia squad of mace and hammerdwarves sitting on a zombie Ibex head, bashing and smashing and slashing and cutting, but the damn thing wont die and more and more of my fortress gets drawn in as they rush to give water to the fighters who are too busy to get it themselves, see the ibex, and charge in.

How stahp?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Ibex Mosh Pile: Halp
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:15:56 pm »

Depends. Small reanimated items are a bastard to kill.
If you have dfhack, use the exterminate command. Be careful, it can be a little indiscriminate. Aim it when no dwarf is on that spot.
If not, try and use burrows to confine the dwarves to Somewhere Else. Then put a wall and, if you can a cage trap between your dwarves and it. Caged you can chuck it in magma.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

KaiserKlay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:20:25 pm »

You say nuisance, I say free training dummy.  8)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 02:34:51 pm »

If it's reanimating, then you're just getting smaller and smaller bits.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 06:03:17 pm »

Remove them from military. Put a cage trap(s) around the corner. Paint a burrow that doesn't include the ibex. Activate civilian alert.

Alternatively, cave-in from below into cage traps.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 12:11:42 am »

It is interesting to see one of these methods actually works.
Because, dorfs tend to fight till death, and at least some of them will ignore your alert, thus preventing the zombie from following other dorfs into the trap.
Cave in from below sounds good but how do you prevent the miner from seeing it?
If you have only 30 dorfs, maybe your miners are already in, or the picks are beyond reach, or, the worst case, all your dorfs can see the undead so the just cancel any job you give them.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:13:47 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 03:14:49 am »

The unkillable undead head (part) bug kills reanimating environments for me. If DFHack is available, exterminate him/her is what I've used to work around the bug. An alternative is to use teleport to get the dorfs out of the way so they don't thirst to death.
Cage traps work, but only if you somehow manage to get the dorfs away from the thing so it can path into a trap.

If you haven't got DFHack you shouldn't play in reanimating biomes until the bug is fixed, in my view.
- Revert all military personnel to civilian
- set up a civilian alert to withdraw all civilians from the area (probably won't work, but someone might be saved)
- Stop booze serving in the cavern (fewer morons joining the fight)

A stupid, convoluted approach (that might actually work):
- Dig out the area below the battle ground leaving a pillar up to the tile where the head is.
- dig out below that and build a support below the pillar.
- dig out the tiles around the pillar (removing ramps) and replace with retracting bridges.
- Hook the support and the bridges up to a lever.
- build cage traps around the support.
- Have the miner dig an up ramp from the pillar. That should cause the head and a pile of morons to fall down onto the unusable ramp.
- Pull the lever.
- With a bit of luck the combatants and the head would end up in the cage traps.
- Build the cage traps with dwarves in them, hook these to levers (or a single one).
- Pull lever(s) to release dejected dwarves (they don't like being caged, but they deserve it).

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 04:10:57 am »

The trick sounds interesting.
Though it is a bit overkill.
Is the bug caused by size? Is there a fix, for example, change the raw so you can't dismember zombies?

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 04:58:59 am »

I've done a number of tests in adventure mode and fortress mode on this bug, it seems to be both the size and the fact that it's just the skin. Slashing and piercing attacks "phase right through" if they can even hit a target that small. Blunt damage will hurt the skin, but zombies only deanimate when all grasping appendages are removed (or a majority? Not sure on this point, it is fairly irrelevant though). The head skin counts as a grapsing appendage and thus you cannot harm it. I don't think it's possible for skin to be pulped to non-existance, at least, my legendary hammerdwarf and macedwarf adventurer couldn't do it with either weapon.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 05:29:24 am »

Like previously mentioned exterminate works if you have dfhack. You can kill all undead on the map to be sure, just type exterminate undead and they perish. Dont worry, there will likely be more wandering in sooner or later.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 04:38:22 pm »

I think head parts are not completely invulnerable, just very close to it, but it may depend on size as well. I had a case where a troll head was actually destroyed after killing a number of dorfs. However, sacrificing a pile of dorfs every time you get an animated head part because you need incredible luck to damage it isn't fun, especially if the deaths are due to dehydration.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 09:19:21 pm »

I think dfhack's gmeditor script can change a timer value(forget the name) so the unit can go puff when the count down reaches zero.

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 09:42:42 pm »

how about channeling water to wash it/them away? Kind of situational though.
do siege weapons work?

edit: wash them away with water onto (retractable) grates/bridge or something like that. If you sweep them over a drop onto some cage traps, it could work.
Falling creatures get stunned, stunned creatures can't avoid traps, including dwarfs (IIRC) so maybe try that?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 10:10:37 pm »

1) Cage it

2) Place cage (you cannot build it, but you CAN put a storage stockpile with it assigned!) under an atom smasher.

3) Pull the lever

4) No more zombie head.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 10:29:54 pm »

do siege weapons work?
I'm sure you'll kill the dorfs first because they are surrounding the head.  :P
Pages: [1] 2