Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: What's going on in the Philippines?  (Read 20358 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in the Philippines?
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2017, 08:35:02 am »

If I had a story for everytime someone misspelled either my country of the name for people of said country ...I'd be where I am now. :P
Apologies. I did try, the first two instances are correct, but I guess at the third one my old faulty finger memory took over.
Love you too bud :P
It just reminds me of the WTF thread where everyone nicely and awesomely replied in humor about how to spell my country/men. :P

I, for one, would like to get Tiruin's thoughts on the situation.  The picture we're shown is worrying... but it doesn't necessarily follow it's real, and/or complete. I know first hand sometimes the perception of things can be very skewered

Same here. I mean, we don't know if the agency has a corruption problem, otherwise it's a "What the hell?" situation.
SO I'm once again going to note that I'm busy and haven't as much clarity as others, but here are a few facts to note.
1. Duterte is working AS HARD AS HE CAN on the corruption problem x.x Very easy to play with the media though :-\ In the difference between Davao Mayor, and President of this Country: You uncover a HECK LOT MORE. Like the police force having corrupt officers, or private militia/armies, or our druglords being on par with those in Mexico, or having a metaphor of 'cockroach infestation being uncovered' in our national newspaper and that being alluded to by what Duterte is doing. It is very much a What the Hell situation, but it is one that is very understandable, but also very deep. >_>
2. It is worrying. :( So to add detail since I've had a forensic psychologist be a local speaker since I'm reviewing for the psychometrician exam--him, alongside my classmate/best friend from Davao, do note the truth of several matters, and do especially note the delicate nature of how things can be reported here. I recall first hand in reading the news months after the inauguration regarding the drug problem; it wasn't handled well by the previous administrations and seems so blown up because Duterte is tackling it directly >_>
-- We're an international hub for organized crime.

3. So back to that story of said forensic psychologist (who seriously has his schedule for the whole months filled traveling everywhere), and my bestie friend:
> Yes the Davao death squads are real.
> No, the killings aren't all deaths.
This is because while there are real casualties (because I'm not ever going to say there aren't and am trying to shed more light in the best wording I can, but I suffer from a past of social anxiety so my wording is all messy messy :V), the corruption problem is DEEP ROOTED [alongside any connection to its sources in the first place]. One issue that I was astounded by because it wasn't...err, how you say readily heard, was that there were adolescent killings. Said psychologist raised the note of despite that happening in Davao, why did 98.6% vote for Duterte? He noted that they weren't really adolescents being killed. They did have a death certificate done, and reported as dead--but that was to escape the syndicates operating and using them, wherein they adopt a different name, etc.

Problem being the President, a ton more to control gets blamed on you (especially your wording, which I still am wholly :V about).

4. Duterte's communication style is pretty much reliant on informal speeches (see: Our latest SONA). He says things that shouldn't be taken literally, but is fully able to explain those things later on. (which is what I connect to being easily spun by the media x~x remember that 'rape "joke"'?, yeah like that. And more.)
Firstly, he's not against human rights. He says '**** HUMAN RIGHTS' because of the issues he's got with America [recent interviews has his take on them; he's okay with America, he's not okay with how they interact, because they pursue their needs and wants first {he brought up a metaphor that us Filipinos are familiar with--carrot & stick, like saying the Americans [and the EU] are double-handed or something, because one is they promise aid, but then they retract it later {because 'human rights violations'} and we're left with waiting for nothing.}, and part of his background is that his people and many others have been taken advantage by the Americans, so this possibly makes a perception of our country still being as if it can be pushed over/used as a colony {because we still have those issues despite being declared independent...he does make many references to how vocal some American organizations are in comparison to local issues on their side}, and has noted in the recent SONA regarding issues {eg Balangiga bells}]. Anyway to shorten it, the move of the Human Rights group [pretty much American in origin], given the details and many interviews done with him recently, creates that kind of saying because he feels as if internal issues aren't being taken as readily as they are. It's as if its superficialized to "people die = human rights violations" (I mean yeah, that's true) [but many factors therein aren't taken into account in the same depth, and those are seen in Youtube interviews that I can't search and link right now because we're having a typhoon--and that it's always better to search these yourselves x.x] So it's like the notion of an organization with the name of Human Rights all over it, just goes over from a country where there is MUCH MORE internal squabbles, onto a country where the administration is autonomous in itself (we've our own human rights groups here too, but welcome others), and something I forgot in between but it was mentioned in an interview I overheard. <_< But he has reasons why he's saying that under his coarse way of speaking. (If he was against human rights entirely, it'd show, but in the many interviews done on him regarding his statements and the process of how judicial occurrences go, that's not happening.)

Err, point being: Yeah we're in a tough situation, but it's not as bad as it is. Where 'it is' is the situation painted there: GROSS VIOLATIONS OF HUMAN RIGHTS. DICTATOR DUTERTE KILLS EVERYONE AND DRUGS. Etc. However the situation is a very tough one, ESPECIALLY for our judicial branch--one reason Duterte was elected was improvements to jails and otherwise (which were crowded as they were before his inauguration...and only are getting worse given all this, especially for those who may have been innocent before all this. The process is slow :-\ )

Also it's very much true that there are a lot of extrajudicial killings :-\ but the connection to that and the context isn't being met in depth by what I see in the international news, and we can be very easily twisted by news sources in many delicate situations like what's happening at present. x.x We do welcome aid and are open to it, but as noted by words quoted there by martinuzz, these things are easily spun into the wrong perspective.

'when the organisation wants to protect criminals, let them get their money from criminals as well then', and called them 'useless'.
...Like who even thinks this is realistic.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2017, 09:19:56 pm »

I still don't understand what's going on but it's enough to make me tremble in fear at the thought of going near the place.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2017, 09:44:12 pm »

I still don't understand what's going on but it's enough to make me tremble in fear at the thought of going near the place.
That's an idea with countries with the news reporting large scale issues. >.<
But otherwise, I'm baffled to see that all that I hear being spoken is just the drug war. As if the only things focused on is the concept rather than the context x~x

And nothing else about my country. :V Now I know the feeling of your own country being called 'the place' though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2017, 04:43:37 am »

Well I did report about the IS invasion in Marawi, but I put that in the IS thread. Looks like government got that nearly under control now, with the last insurgents being urged to surrender?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2017, 04:51:25 am »

Well I did report about the IS invasion in Marawi, but I put that in the IS thread. Looks like government got that nearly under control now, with the last insurgents being urged to surrender?
It is HELL :-\
Ok to be more specific, a ton of damage was done, but not literally 'hell'...just a lot of damage in that whole livelihoods are ruined alongside many parts of the city (and more recent note and mostly a different topic--discussion on the Marcoses returning their bloody stolen wealth! I'm mentioning this because a statement was like "It would cover the cost of rebuilding Marawi".)
But yes, they're being urged to surrender and I was just reminded that said forensic psychologist who I mentioned was one of the many helping out with the soldiers there.

I'm always reminded of the technological advantage that happened when local news discussed the situation. :/ High powered sniper rifles, and other very deadly things on their side. Obvious link of being funded externally. Much details in between.

wojtek678

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2017, 06:08:36 pm »

It is HELL :-\
Ok to be more specific, a ton of damage was done, but not literally 'hell'...just a lot of damage in that whole livelihoods are ruined alongside many parts of the city (and more recent note and mostly a different topic--discussion on the Marcoses returning their bloody stolen wealth! I'm mentioning this because a statement was like "It would cover the cost of rebuilding Marawi".)
But yes, they're being urged to surrender and I was just reminded that said forensic psychologist who I mentioned was one of the many helping out with the soldiers there.

I'm always reminded of the technological advantage that happened when local news discussed the situation. :/ High powered sniper rifles, and other very deadly things on their side. Obvious link of being funded externally. Much details in between.

How big of a problem is Islamic terrorism in the Philippines and how is it being handled? What is being speculated/known about the start of such organizations? I remember it being on the news here in Canada, about a year ago, that some of our citizens were killed by terrorists after the ransom demands were de facto rejected.

In regard to drug-dealers being made enemies of the state, how many people support such an action in the Philippines? I also heard that Duterte's son was implicated in some big bust. What are the people's reactions regarding that?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2017, 02:14:02 am »

Duterte's son is being accused of having ties to the Chinese triad. Duterte has said that he will personally murder his son if those rumours prove true.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2017, 06:27:33 am »

Duterte's son is being accused of having ties to the Chinese triad. Duterte has said that he will personally murder his son if those rumours prove true.
It's all visible on youtube by the way :P However english subtitles are...err.
Also more details than that. :V Duterte spoke about the triad and tattoos in recent interviews.

Either way, people are having humorous fun poking our Senator Trillanes. :v Much roasty.

How big of a problem is Islamic terrorism in the Philippines and how is it being handled? What is being speculated/known about the start of such organizations? I remember it being on the news here in Canada, about a year ago, that some of our citizens were killed by terrorists after the ransom demands were de facto rejected.

In regard to drug-dealers being made enemies of the state, how many people support such an action in the Philippines? I also heard that Duterte's son was implicated in some big bust. What are the people's reactions regarding that?
It is complicated. :-\ Peace talks and other efforts were tried before, they didn't pan out or were continued. And yes, some Canadian citizens were killed by terrorists >_> What is speculated is its an international thing rather than a localized concentrate. They target indiscriminately, rather than any western nationality.

And people are very :I towards drugs because of how prolific it was found to be--before the start of Duterte's administration, we didn't have this wide coverage. We however lack professionals to help with the recovery process--overloaded in many areas.

And I lack both the internet, the time, and the current electric consistency to keep up with what's going on with Duterte's son, however it is broadcasted on youtube as far as I've heard. Unsure about consistency of english subtitles but they do use English most of the time.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2017, 11:07:34 pm »

What a nice father :-/

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2017, 01:36:44 am »

Sounds about par for the course for any self-respecting parent with expectations that their child wont grow up to be a murdererous criminal themselves. My father might literally kill me if i got involved with organized crime.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2017, 07:10:50 pm »

He'd blow your head off for taking a government job?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2017, 12:13:57 am »

What a nice father :-/

But not a hypocritical one!
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2018, 07:00:03 am »

The Philippines have officially withdrawn from the Inetrnational Criminal Court. Duterte is furious that the ICC has started an ivestigation into his role in the bloody war on drugs, in which over 13000 people were killed by either trigger happy police, or masked anonymous shooters, in the 19 months it has been ongoing.

Critics of Duterte have accused him of being responsible for the killings, and went to the ICC with an indictment of 77 pages.
The ICC is now investigating if there is enough evidence to persecute Duterte in the Hague.
This pissed of Duterte so much that he has now published an official presidential edict in which he retreats the Philippines from the ICC.
The UN is not amused.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]