Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: What's going on in the Philippines?  (Read 20404 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Duterte has gone completely apeshit Hitler-insane
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2016, 10:46:01 am »

Oh and locally popular and known Drug Lord Peter Lim managed to flee from the country, despite promises that should he step somewhere in NAIA (Ninoy Aquino Int'l Airport, aka the shittiest airport in Asia and possibly the world), he would die. Then he just followed it up with Peter Lim should not go back to the country. What the fuck is that half-hearted response. If a criminal flees the country, he's safe?!
I'm almost convinced that Duterte is secretly a leader of an ascendant drug cartel, going out of his way to eliminate all competition for good. I have no evidence to support this theory, but it would really explain everything, wouldn't it?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2016, 10:51:35 am »

Oh and locally popular and known Drug Lord Peter Lim managed to flee from the country, despite promises that should he step somewhere in NAIA (Ninoy Aquino Int'l Airport, aka the shittiest airport in Asia and possibly the world), he would die. Then he just followed it up with Peter Lim should not go back to the country. What the fuck is that half-hearted response. If a criminal flees the country, he's safe?!
I'm almost convinced that Duterte is secretly a leader of an ascendant drug cartel, going out of his way to eliminate all competition for good. I have no evidence to support this theory, but it would really explain everything, wouldn't it?
No. It really wouldn't. :P While tempting, complete context and background is really something lacking. Which is also a big modifier to how 'evil' someone can seem--context of knowledge of the person.

Again, I can't believe my eyes, seeing people actually defending Duterte in here. WTF.

Who is defending Duterte here?
I'd like to hear more about that too o_O

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2016, 11:45:38 am »

No. It really wouldn't. :P While tempting, complete context and background is really something lacking. Which is also a big modifier to how 'evil' someone can seem--context of knowledge of the person.
Not sure what you're getting at exactly, but no, I don't think there's anything positive about the guy, no matter how much of a "champion of the poor" he claims to be. You don't fight poverty and inequality by violently cracking down on drug addicts, arguably the most marginalized and disadvantaged group of people in society---any society, really. And you certainly don't fight crime by doing something that is just as illegal, but infinitely more morally reprehensible than drug abuse: murder. If you have no more respect for the law than those you call "criminals," doesn't that make you a criminal as well?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2016, 11:46:40 am »

Again, I can't believe my eyes, seeing people actually defending Duterte in here. WTF.

You mean you weren't? ???   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2016, 11:51:50 am »

You mean you weren't? ???   
"Oh yes, Tiruin is defending Duterte despite her obvious and apparent stance that she voted for Miriam, and is deeply humanistically aligned--is against several aspects of Duterte's character, and has merely mentioned positive traits about what he did alongside criticizing the negative bits."
It's like my mention that this dude did good things makes me defending him doing bad things. :I
I mean wow, that's like saying I'm OK WITH THE DEATHS IN MY OWN COUNTRY, WHO HEARD OF THE BLOOD AND KILLINGS AND SEEN THE INNOCENT PEOPLE'S DETAILS FLASH IN THE NEWS FIRSTHAND BEFORE ANY INTERNATIONAL NEWS COULD REPORT IT AND MORE. OF DEAD FOLK ALONG MY AGE WHO DIED FOR NO GOOD REASON OTHER THAN BEING IN THE WRONG PLACE AND TIME. THAT IS WHAT THE IMPRESSION IS?
So...uh, no I wasn't. O_o Like, at all.

Because it's better if people asked rather than assumed, y'know.
>_>

E: If that is a joke, I missed it completely in my ":|" faced response.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:55:55 am by Tiruin »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2016, 12:42:56 pm »

Is pointing out that some of Hitler's policy weren't terrible defending him? Also, PTW.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2016, 01:00:12 pm »

I'm surprised at the level of parallel here with what the Qing did after the Opium Wars: declare opium addiction punishable by death and kill everybody who was involved. This plan was carried out more or less successfully, so I won't be too surprised if Duterte manages to kill hundreds of thousands if not the actual 3 million.

Re: UN Intervention; *crippling mocking laughter*
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2016, 01:01:19 pm »

Is pointing out that some of Hitler's policy weren't terrible defending him? Also, PTW.

Mentioning that he was democratically elected might get you lynched.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »

I'm surprised at the level of parallel here with what the Qing did after the Opium Wars: declare opium addiction punishable by death and kill everybody who was involved.
Could I have a source on this claim? Making Opium addiction illegal after two wars that forcibly legalized the Opium Trade seems a little off. Do you mean the 1901 changes? And as for successful, Opium and the Opium trade was still very much a thing by the time of the KMT, who used the trade for funds.

Other than that PTW.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2016, 11:56:06 pm »

Spoiler: Relevant Images (click to show/hide)

Sweet Jesus. Guilty unless innocent impending. Operation "Tokhang" in full force. Demanding residents to leave their house/get tested on their households so a sticker stating "Drug-free household" could be placed. What if an elderly can't submit themselves because they can't walk? What if they can't even take needles?

Oh and that's ignoring the fiasco that was "laglag bala (sneaking in bullets into personal items to demand for additional cash and allowing them to complete booking the flight and embarking)" a few months (a year?) ago. I don't trust these potentially-corrupt cops to do a test, make a negative writeup just for the lulz, and then brand me a drug user to be killed.

Jesus fucking christ this country is now ass backwards.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 11:57:22 pm »

Personally I find Yoink's outburst annoying and it retards the understanding of a question poised at the very start of this thread: "why would anyone vote for Duterte?"

I attempted to answer that question by looking at his history as a legislator. But Yoink isn't having any of that, because pointing out things that he did that made him popular is "defending" him, so we need to keep shrieking from a position of ignorance - after all it's anti-progressive to try and get a deeper understanding of the man. It just feels much more ideologically sound to keep not getting it, I guess ...

So what did he do that made him popular?

He pushed Davao to be rated as 5th safest city in the world. He's also advocate of creating autonomous self-governance regions for indigenous separatist groups, rather than using military solutions to subdue them.

So when he talks tough on crime, he can just point to the city he ran as evidence. Someone from outside the Philippines probably wouldn't know the context, but Philippine voters probably would already know about that.
http://globalnation.inquirer.net/125132/davao-city-improves-to-5th-in-ranking-of-worlds-safest-cities
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:16:31 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2016, 12:00:36 am »

So is his policy working

*EDIT
Police say more than 600,000 drug dealers and users have turned themselves in to avoid being killed.
How about that
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:02:43 am by Loud Whispers »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2016, 12:07:12 am »

That number isn't credible at all. 600,000 is about 1/3rd the number of prisoners in the USA, who are the world leaders in incarceration by a far margin. That many arrested in Philippines would put them near the top of the list for per-capita prison population. Do they really have that much unused prison space just put together - in the last few months?

So even if 600,000 people have "turned themselves in", almost all of them would have just been turned around and sent home. Philippines doesn't have the infrastructure to incarcerate or treat that many people.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:13:43 am by Reelya »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2016, 12:10:59 am »

same really, after all, only the government is reporting those claims, and I have no idea how they're going to fit in New Bilibid Prison, or anywhere for that matter.

Personally I find Yoink's outburst annoying and it retards the understanding of a question poised at the very start of this thread: "why would anyone vote for Duterte?"

I attempted to answer that question by looking at his history as a legislator. But Yoink isn't having any of that, because pointing out things that he did that made him popular is "defending" him, so we need to keep shrieking from a position of ignorance - after all it's anti-progressive to try and get a deeper understanding of the man. It just feels much more ideologically sound to keep not getting it, I guess ...

He pushed Davao to be rated as 5th safest city in the world. He's also advocate of creating autonomous self-governance regions for indigenous separatist groups, rather than using military solutions to subdue them.

So when he talks tough on crime, he can just point to the city he ran as evidence. Someone from outside the Philippines probably wouldn't know the context, but Philippine voters probably would already know about that.

That and the previous administration really failed to deliver on its promises, so it's actually worthwhile to know the context as to how the Philippines willingly voted in plurality an unstable person who said "Do Not Vote For Me" in 'girlfriend' speak, in spite of a rather visible sign of him being... well... unstable.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:13:07 am by Trapezohedron »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2016, 01:51:33 am »

"Oh yes, Tiruin is defending Duterte despite her obvious and apparent stance that she voted for Miriam, and is deeply humanistically aligned--is against several aspects of Duterte's character, and has merely mentioned positive traits about what he did alongside criticizing the negative bits."
Repeatedly and at length whenever anyone was criticizing him... perhaps the tone of your posts was just a bit misleading.
I got the impression you were upset by people criticising his deeds and were arguing against them. I'm glad to be wrong in this case. :)

I'm pretty sure I did address that point in my post...
...that doesn't mean he appeals to their desire for "progress" or "reforms", it means he appeals to their bloodthirstiness

Perhaps I simply don't share your interest in understanding whatever miscarriage of politics allowed him to come to power, since at this point it's more a case of picking up the pieces than having any chance of preventing the problems. Of course there's any number of factors that are responsible for causing the current situation, same as anything, but that doesn't change the facts.

In the post you took objection to I never once criticized the voting population of the Philippines, I'm well aware that I don't understand its political situation etcetera and am in no position to judge them. I just think that some people are focusing too much on the "bigger picture", the politics and such in this discussion and end up somewhat downplaying the deaths and fear that are being caused.
Maybe that's just because it's not a terribly pleasant thing to think about. I guess I can understand that. To be honest I don't really enjoy researching and thinking about an issue like this either, which I can do nothing to help or change, but I guess doing so is better/healthier than just ignoring it?

On a related and (kind of?) brighter note, I'm glad to see much more coverage on the Philippines situation in the media over here than there was earlier. That's something, at least, given how often the media will entirely ignore catastrophes occurring around the world to instead report on the location and severity of some sportsperson's jock itch or similar topics.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11