Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: What's going on in the Philippines?  (Read 20393 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duterte has gone completely apeshit Hitler-insane
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 09:09:26 am »

(When was a person's personal sex life a discrediting factor? There should be limits to what should be publicized, because an entire generation of children could possibly be looking up to him and may see his lack of tact as a positive. Also, he is a known womanizer)

Are you talking about Trump or Duterte here?
De Lima. As to the first question, I think. It's a major discussion here too about her and what went on.

This De Lima: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leila_de_Lima ? As an American, I have no idea who you're talking about and I tried a wiki search and that came up.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 09:10:53 am »

(When was a person's personal sex life a discrediting factor? There should be limits to what should be publicized, because an entire generation of children could possibly be looking up to him and may see his lack of tact as a positive. Also, he is a known womanizer)

Are you talking about Trump or Duterte here?
De Lima. As to the first question, I think. It's a major discussion here too about her and what went on.

This De Lima: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leila_de_Lima ? As an American, I have no idea who you're talking about and I tried a wiki search and that came up.
I edited my last post. Sorry :P It now covers this new page post. And yes, that De Lima. In the least, it's updated in the 'Controversies area', but this is ONE point in where I mention in the 'internal issues' that isn't being reported internationally.

Which is...also why I mention to the OP that waiting is the best solution instead of, err, continuing judgement. There's a lot going behind the lines, in a delicate and complex situation. :-\

What we can all agree on is Duterte having really bad tact when frustrated though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 09:20:28 am »

Edoot: How many times people misspell Philippines amuses me. Especially if it's a habit of those particular people :P
* Tiruin bops Martinuzz.
It could be seen as disrespect, but it's now usually become humor. :I

THANK YOU, I was sitting there twitching looking at "Phillipines", 'who the hell is Phillip Ines?'

Also, yeah, the whole bit about "the US actually started fighting Spain over the Maine, Cuba, and the Philippines, before fighting the Filipinos over the Philippines and hanging on to them until the 40's" gets cut down to "some shit happened and we fought Spain" over here basically. As a Texan I didn't think much about it, who needs a reason to pick a fight with Spain or Mexico, right? Definitely the sort of thing worth mentioning in a US History book though, instead it's usually just a blurb kinda like the one off the wiki page without much detail beyond the Banana Wars.
There were also two very important wars. The US easily defeated Spain in 1898, which unexpectedly brought a small empire. Cuba quickly was given independence, as well as the Philippines (in 1946). Puerto Rico and (and some smaller islands) became permanent U.S. possessions, as did Alaska (added by purchase in 1867); the independent Republic of Hawaii voluntarily joined as a territory in 1898.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 09:50:28 am »

Posting to spectacle.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 09:56:08 am »

A formidable contender for the title of "Worst Scum on Earth."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 10:02:37 am »

We'd have to wait for a Trump presidency to truly compare.

Pretty sure Duterte doesn't go on twitter rants when someone upsets him anyway. I can easily imagine Trump going on a twitter rant because he didn't like something some leader said in a classified commuqe.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:11:07 am by smjjames »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 10:21:21 am »

We'd have to wait for a Trump presidency to truly compare.
Trump is an angelic boy scout compared to Duterte.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 07:11:51 pm »

Is he doing it now? ? ? :o Is Tiruin gonna be okay?
I'm far north of the Capital, in the mountains :P
Trapezo is in the Visayas.
We're totally going to be OK.

What we ARE worried about (since we're the first to receive any kind of these news) are pretty much the social climate of the country that also ISN'T being reported internationally.
:) Glad to know both of you are okay. Haven't been paying much attention to the news. How would you describe the current social climate of the Philippines? (PM if necessary)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 10:56:17 pm »

I'd say that there's two sides of the party now. Those who are all for Duterte and are compliant with all of Duterte's declarations (and will fight to protect said declarations, never mind that their sources for their own reasons are often haphazardly built by quoting obviously biased blogs, blind praise websites and even satire), and those who have something to criticize with the person, whether the criticism is for his entire being or just some certain aspects of it, where if you outright say that, "zealots" for the other side will gladly threaten you with death or call you an idiot, or tell you you support drugs. Or call you a Yellowtard (the previous President's administration's favorite colors were the color Yellow, and inaction and a lack of progress was attributed to them. Which is fair because only the rich benefited from his laws and he was mostly indifferent to every single problem that should have been tackled by his administration).

There's no middle ground to say the least.

It's actually quite jarring when the first Extrajudicial Killings (EJK) started wherein the University where I graduated was criticized harshly both by members of most of its studentry and faculty, and those outside (civilians et al.), for imploring the government to follow the due process of law. They said scathing remarks that these people were forced to do their protest by their teachers for grades, nevermind the point that was trying to be struck. And that they were probably drug users themselves and should go die.

And the University was Catholic and therefore anti-murder so it makes a really jarring status when even its members do not embody the interests of the University they're in.

TL;DR, there are now two major groups: pro-Duterte and anti-Duterte. A neutral group exists, but if you state anti-leanings, you're lumped with the anti-Dutertes who are often slandered with being drug users, in cahoots with drug pushers, and or advocates of the Yellows (Liberal Party, aka the previous admin's party), and that you're an idiot for not voting pro-Duterte.

If I'm a bit unclear in this post, feel free to ask me further about it.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 11:13:32 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what is Duterte's favorite color? Unless yellow wasn't actually the previous presidents favorite color and was just the color that they used a lot.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 03:14:42 am »

During the campaigning period before he became president, he used a predominantly red/blue combo to indicate his party colors.

Meanwhile, his primary opposition, the Yellows used... well... yellow. A brief history on that: During Martial Law to oust President Ferdinand Marcos, the rallyists used yellow ribbons to show their staunch disapproval of the late Dictator's decrees. Having suceeded in ousting the Dictator, it was then decided that the Yellow Ribbon be a symbol of the successful EDSA Revolution. By extension, for the sake of elections and the Aquino Family, the color yellow also symbolized their role in liberating the citizens from the Dictator.

During the previous presidential elections, her son, Benigno Aquino III, also known as Noynoy Aquino, used the color yellow in his campaign. It also helped that Cory Aquino, who was then merely just a citizen by that time (the one seated prior was Pres. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo), had passed away during the presidential election period. This created a massive emotional hype wave that practically ensured Noynoy Aquino's victory.

Fast forward to the near end of the term of Noynoy Aquino's presidency, he had not done a lot of things, playing passive for the most part and allowing corruption to still occur, and people had started becoming disillusioned. Thus began the dislike for the color yellow, which the president (and related liberal party members, such as Mar Roxas) unabashedly abused in every event that involved them.

Pres. Noynoy Aquino's presidential candidate pick, Mar Roxas, ended up being eclipsed by the now-infamous color yellow during the campaigns, due to inherent hypocrisy on their part and Mar Roxas 'trying' to be part of the community by doing things that the urban poor never do. He was hastily decimated by his own marketing approach. The color yellow, which related to the Aquino's martyrdom to stop the Marcos regime had now turned into a symbol of incompetence.

All the while Duterte was gaining traction due to his portfolio, his gungho casual no high-class nonsense approach endearing to the masses, and what seemed to be a genuinely real desire to help uplift the people in the far south of the country. It also helped that there's an inherent regional 'racism' between Tagalog and Visayan peoples, and that most presidents had been from the Manila/Northern regions. There was thus some push to elect a Visayan president.

Of course, that's just the short of it for the presidential election history, and the color yellow. I haven't touched the subject about the Cojuanco (Aquino-related family) controlled Hacienda Luisita, which was promised to be given to its farmers many years before, among other issues that arose during Noynoy's presidency.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 03:18:21 am by Trapezohedron »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2016, 04:53:04 am »

To be quite honest, if Duterte really means that he is planning to kill 3 million people, there should be an emergency meeting of the UN, and an international coalition force should be formed to invade the Phillipines, remove Duterte and install a peacekeeping force overseeing new elections.

I mean, preventing Hitler-like genocides is one of the main things the UN was formed for, right?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 04:54:46 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2016, 05:03:47 am »

Trump is an angelic boy scout compared to Duterte.
Yes
To be quite honest, if Duterte really means that he is planning to kill 3 million people, there should be an emergency meeting of the UN, and an international coalition force should be formed to invade the Phillipines, remove Duterte and install a peacekeeping force overseeing new elections.

I mean, preventing Hitler-like genocides is one of the main things the UN was formed for, right?
And yes.
Honestly, I am shocked to see anything but condemnation for the man in here. He's caused a lot of deaths already and is proud of killing his own citizens. This is the sort of shit you'd expect from a Tropico player, not someone who has been democratically elected- and for the record, that doesn't mean he appeals to their desire for "progress" or "reforms", it means he appeals to their bloodthirstiness.   

I will laugh in the face of the next person I hear complaining about the choices on offer in the US election.
At least they aren't planning on literally murdering their own citizens. Again, I can't believe my eyes, seeing people actually defending Duterte in here. WTF.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2016, 05:17:29 am »

Again, I can't believe my eyes, seeing people actually defending Duterte in here. WTF.

Who is defending Duterte here?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2016, 05:39:08 am »

For the record, I'm not defending him. Although I don't believe he's totally and irreconcilably evil, I'm still not fully convinced of his intentions however, since over 3,000~ people already died (remember not to think of them as a statistic), whether or not they're drug users, and a little girl was caught in the crossfire between a drug user who was about to surrender themselves (so the family says), and someone who claims to be doing vigilante service due to the asshole president's haphazard ordering of citizens to take up the mantle and kill drug users they know before he redacted a bit of it.

Part of it however is just primal disbelief and hoping for a better outcome though because I have no way out of this goddamned place.

I have and always will be against Extra-judicial Killings, because it's already obvious in the first word 'Extra', or Latin for 'Beyond.' Sad that there are some people who think this is a good thing for some insane and utterly alien reason.

Oh and locally popular and known Drug Lord Peter Lim managed to flee from the country, despite promises that should he step somewhere in NAIA (Ninoy Aquino Int'l Airport, aka the shittiest airport in Asia and possibly the world), he would die. Then he just followed it up with Peter Lim should not go back to the country. What the fuck is that half-hearted response. If a criminal flees the country, he's safe?!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 10:23:18 am by Trapezohedron »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11