Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 71

Author Topic: Small Mercies (OOC) | Mercenary Menageries in Space (6/[6]) [WARNING: TEXT]  (Read 106907 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

H-...w- where did this gift shop become apparent? :P
I am both surprised and amused. Hopefully we can save the station staff though! :X
It was a throwaway line as we found the place we were actually looking for. :3

And...did anyone try it? The bore capabilities anyway or at least teaming up with Vark here? :P We can issue a distress signal and make an emergency bore or something.
Nobody's tried bore things yet, no. I was hoping Draig could answer how likely Aubrey/you are to succeed at hijacking the Flounder's capabilities, if it even has any.

What do you mean by emergency bore?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I am both surprised and amused. Hopefully we can save the station staff though! :X
* Tiruin sees the :3 and wonders. . .
. . .
???
Is it the Star?

I thought Wilcox said it's somewhere vague in the atmosphere or something lost on shuttle before he got cut off for shooting MIRACULOUS PANTHER KITTY where Ka-Taeun SUPPOSEDLY AND NOT DIRECTLY MENTIONED harvests his CELLS. Non-medically speaking. :P
But yeah. I got lost there. Maybe I'll wait for the IC explanation instead for better surprise, just like gift shops!

Aren't stations able to do that? Like as mentioned back to the Intel Station--it could do that by separating bits and making a giant bore at the same time to save power and energy...or was it 'multiple bores instead of one giant one to save space and miniaturize'?
Also we've civilian ships nearby and stuff--supposedly--but the action at the moment singles three ships of important mention.
> Us, the Reunion, on the perimeter and far away from stuff. We'll need an hour or so to woosh to the station using the sublight engines so hence why bore'ing is best. Supposedly we bore'd the sled to the station too :P
> That cloaked ship that wiped out the only Al-Loy security vessel in system, and as far as I know y'all also handled some Al-Loy troops on the station and I didn't get to read-on what happened to them (pre-hostage/pre-bomb/pre-Mickaw contact)
> The "Buyer"s ship, pretty nifty, filled with blocking and anti-interference devices, which hilariously makes it stand out compared to every other ship in range (which I had to suppress our advertising from touching, possibly by explaining "Nearby station has better spa", and then getting the computer jealous but respectful of marketing boundaries)
Supposedly there's also other ships that can bore, and the station too, but as far as I know the ONLY OTHER ship other than Varkonius' is Wilcox' ship parked on station.

...I think there were others, owned by the other mercy gangs you met (like the cat with the energy pharynx or something which got painted and I don't know the fate of). I wonder if any of you can hack into there?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

* Tiruin sees the :3 and wonders. . .
. . .
???
Is it the Star?

I thought Wilcox said it's somewhere vague in the atmosphere or something lost on shuttle before he got cut off for shooting MIRACULOUS PANTHER KITTY where Ka-Taeun SUPPOSEDLY AND NOT DIRECTLY MENTIONED harvests his CELLS. Non-medically speaking. :P
But yeah. I got lost there. Maybe I'll wait for the IC explanation instead for better surprise, just like gift shops!
No no, the room we're in right now, not the thing we were looking for originally. The :3 was just because it wasn't something you'd notice or remember unless you were trawling back looking for information about the station.

The Star is indeed in orbit, according to Varkonius.

Aren't stations able to do that? Like as mentioned back to the Intel Station--it could do that by separating bits and making a giant bore at the same time to save power and energy...or was it 'multiple bores instead of one giant one to save space and miniaturize'?
They can flicker-jump to... let me look it up.

Vessel whose schedule is bound by time rather than expense will typically resort to a technique known as flicker-jumping to simplify jump calculations. In essence, a single trip is split into a number of sub-jumps. Because the difficulty of calculation is exponential with respect to distance, it is significantly faster to calculate both sub-jumps of distance n/2 than it is to calculate a single jump of distance n. There are, however, significant problems with this method. It burns out drive reactors at a greatly accelerated rate, vastly increases the energy consumed, and runs the risk of stranding a ship in the middle of deep space without a viable means of travel if the Bore drive malfunctions in the middle of the trip.

So the Reunion could in theory flicker-jump towards us very quickly, but it'd strain everything.

Also we've civilian ships nearby and stuff--supposedly--but the action at the moment singles three ships of important mention.
> Us, the Reunion, on the perimeter and far away from stuff. We'll need an hour or so to woosh to the station using the sublight engines so hence why bore'ing is best. Supposedly we bore'd the sled to the station too :P
> That cloaked ship that wiped out the only Al-Loy security vessel in system, and as far as I know y'all also handled some Al-Loy troops on the station and I didn't get to read-on what happened to them (pre-hostage/pre-bomb/pre-Mickaw contact)
> The "Buyer"s ship, pretty nifty, filled with blocking and anti-interference devices, which hilariously makes it stand out compared to every other ship in range (which I had to suppress our advertising from touching, possibly by explaining "Nearby station has better spa", and then getting the computer jealous but respectful of marketing boundaries)
Supposedly there's also other ships that can bore, and the station too, but as far as I know the ONLY OTHER ship other than Varkonius' is Wilcox' ship parked on station.

...I think there were others, owned by the other mercy gangs you met (like the cat with the energy pharynx or something which got painted and I don't know the fate of). I wonder if any of you can hack into there?
I suspect hacking the other ships at range will be difficult or impossible, and if we had time to reach them physically we could probably just board them and leave.

One of the reasons I want to find out what Varky has planned is to see if bolting for it while Khate and Varky delay for a few seconds would make a difference, or if he's just going to vent the entire station at once.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Expect a post of Scarlet doing a thing later tonight
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[...
They can flicker-jump to... let me look it up.

Vessel whose schedule is bound by time rather than expense will typically resort to a technique known as flicker-jumping to simplify jump calculations. In essence, a single trip is split into a number of sub-jumps. Because the difficulty of calculation is exponential with respect to distance, it is significantly faster to calculate both sub-jumps of distance n/2 than it is to calculate a single jump of distance n. There are, however, significant problems with this method. It burns out drive reactors at a greatly accelerated rate, vastly increases the energy consumed, and runs the risk of stranding a ship in the middle of deep space without a viable means of travel if the Bore drive malfunctions in the middle of the trip.

So the Reunion could in theory flicker-jump towards us very quickly, but it'd strain everything.
[...]
HMM :I
If this is a last resort thing which it feels like it (and since we welded our bore engine from another ship anyway--however from a carrier ship which gave us the abilities mentioned in the Reunion file), Kesari will only agree to doing this if other people suggest it.
Since we're a free people group of decisions, not a Captain + crew. :P Only had to do that with Boris since it seemed Mickaw worked better by hierarchy...alongside Neo-Dog culture. So my family.

[...]
No no, the room we're in right now, not the thing we were looking for originally. The :3 was just because it wasn't something you'd notice or remember unless you were trawling back looking for information about the station.

The Star is indeed in orbit, according to Varkonius.
Now I've problems. All the imagery of puns and deadpan humor in blowing confetti into the other opponent's face after doing something epic. :< Take a souvenir with you!

Shit.

Shit shit shit.

The situation was actually sort of funny, from a certain angle. Scarlet had attacked the crows and Ka-taeun, of course, but her goal hadn't actually been to hurt them; it was a distraction, a defensive move at its core, and one she hadn't been expecting to cause any damage at all. Theoretically, actually hitting the rainbow bastard was a bonus; she'd expected the shield to easily stop the flames, not for it to utterly fail to defend against them whatsoever.

However, this had an unfortunate effect on her standing with the unnatural Cane. The ideal opinion he'd hold of her was "who?" A more realistically acceptable one was "minor irritation." The one that she'd been prepared to deal with was "that bitch who helped steal my panther." She definitely did not want to be "the one that set me on fire."

Scarlet wasn't quite afraid to die, no. She'd accepted a long time ago that she was going to die one way or another, and it probably wasn't going to be particularly pleasant. Not much even unsettled her, really, despite her grumbling. A career like hers meant you saw lots and lots of horrifying shit, and you either learned to deal with whatever came your way or folded.

Those warnings terrified her.

She gave an order to the nanites: purge. Exterminatus. Leave nothing alive. If there was even the slightest uncertainty about a body in there belonging, destroy it. It'd ruin the musculature in her arms almost certainly, possibly even wearing out sinew and bone; she had no idea how long it'd take to recover from that kind of damage. But it might stop the infection without having to cut her own arms off, and that was all she cared about.

It took a lot of mental effort to even get that through; panic and (literal) searing pain had a way of making it difficult to concentrate. Whatever amount of mental capacity not devoted to "purge the shit out of my arms before I melt or explode" or "don't pass out from the various things causing you excruciating agony" was used on stumbling toward Khate - and by extension Varkonius, not that Scarlet actually cared at the moment - hoping that the off-kilter Cane had something to do about the rapidly evolving clusterfuck.
And your personal text is "I'm in too many RPs."? :P

I like this quality narrative. :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:19:40 am by Tiruin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I am not sure what Aubrey should do, dudes.

She too is wounded, but not so badly as Scarlet. I'm not sure what Khate and Varkonius will do yet and if she can help.

We need to get everyone away.

Perhaps I should just wait till Khate and Varkonius clarify what's what.

The default boring option will be to try to keep interdicting the crows' interdiction whilst leading the retreat.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

She too is wounded, but not so badly as Scarlet. I'm not sure what Khate and Varkonius will do yet and if she can help.

The default boring option will be to try to keep interdicting the crows' interdiction whilst leading the retreat.
Try initiating some input with the station--communicate with Kesari on working with the station systems you can reach--a bore back is the away team's primary goal [alongside keeping alive both themselves and the 'hostages'].

Secondary objective is befriending Varky. :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

These are all true things.

Vark probably needs the interdiction down to do what he's going to do, so keeping that going is probably wise. Running screaming in the opposite direction is definitely wise.

If you're looking for other things to do, adding a light show to Kesari's

AMAZING DEALS YOU WON'T BELIEVE

would be both distracting and let everyone know the caliber of mercy they're dealing with here.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I should start a Roll to Be Tiruin. Characters are parachuted into deadly warzones, and have to befriend people. Befriendees then become characters played by waitlisters.

;)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I should start a Roll to Be Tiruin. Characters are parachuted into deadly warzones, and have to befriend people. Befriendees then become characters played by waitlisters.

;)
I am gaining many ideas by kind posts like these ._. Thank you for helping me with my anxiety too (as is everyone else)

...That said, I can't help but feel like Varkonius is a very intriguing waitlister :P
And then one of those NPCs that we aren't hearing is a PM-played waitlister ♥

Also on that note--Draignean, I really do hope I made it vague and general enough for you to go wild with the sound battle. :O Be silly to be memorable!
[Just not bloody metal music please]

. . . Please don't tell me they lack VIDEO (or those commercial) ADVERTISEMENTS IN THE FAR FUTURE. :I That's part of why I added 'memorable songs' and my casual mention of one of the earliest models of 'attention grabbing'. x3

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the delay, I've been dealing with some health issues. Er, if there's some amazing high-risk plan of bores and mad engineering that I'm a part of, I need to be guided through it, because I'm as lost as usual with that. My IC mad skills and knowledge do not extend OOC. I'm just here to be grumpy and beat people up with fists of steel.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the delay, I've been dealing with some health issues. Er, if there's some amazing high-risk plan of bores and mad engineering that I'm a part of, I need to be guided through it, because I'm as lost as usual with that. My IC mad skills and knowledge do not extend OOC. I'm just here to be grumpy and beat people up with fists of steel.
...I just now remembered that Boris tinkered with the bore engines earlier.
Is there any chance we can both man our stations and then do something about the Station problem? :3
Best case scenario: Star Wars VII-esque escape from explodey station and then Ka-Taeun shaking his fist [or otherwise appropriate evil snarl] as he floats in space and does crazy villain stuff as we bore out.
Then the camera will focus on the hidden secret fact that we missed something as a cliffhanger.

I'm just all giddy about this. :I

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

ey, there's plenty of epic symphonic metal that works for your purpose!
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Not at the moment, no. That might or might not be our long-term plan, but at the moment everyone but Khate is just running away on foot.

I have no idea where Khate and Vark are going, but I imagine it will be fun!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Khate's inappropriate videos... oh my. I don't even want to know what she's into...

So, I think that's everyone. I'll start working...
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 71