Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 71

Author Topic: Small Mercies (OOC) | Mercenary Menageries in Space (6/[6]) [WARNING: TEXT]  (Read 106798 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

I really need Dwarmin tips u_u He's really good at that.

It's easy!

Start small to allow the GM room to finesse your idea into the game through careful balancing (Sadish began without any working models of amber, and an incomplete method of Amber production, and indeed incomplete knowledge of the creature), write a lot of world-building lore to make it believable in the context of the game (It helps if you can fire up the GM's imagination), and incorporate some ideas for interesting drawbacks as a polite gesture (I made the Amber have a weakness toward sonic frequencies, for example, also the existence of a Giant Carnivorous Space Mantis that can be used as a threat, or that may rampage about the ship at some point, because I'm literally growing one right now)-after that, the GM will let have almost anything...within reason. :P

Tldr
"I have a gun that can kill anything in the universe!" [Rejected]

"This old metal staff was found by my great grandfather the ruins of an ancient temple, on a lost world many years ago. It was once far greater, but now it is empty of any power it might have held, likely forever...and, perhaps that is for the best. It's been passed down from father to son, since then...I have no idea what it does, or what it's purpose might have once been, nor can I read the elusive script that sometimes glimmers, and sometimes shifts, in it's opaque, etched surface. It took my own father his entire life just to translate a single word on it's face...the word he read was Death. Since then, it's been our bond and oath to keep it at my families side." [Approved?]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:24:57 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

It ain't a great update, but it's in editing now and I can at least get the ball rolling again.

I really need Dwarmin tips u_u He's really good at that.

It's easy!

Start small to allow the GM room to finesse your idea into the game through careful balancing (Sadish began without any working models of amber, and an incomplete method of Amber production, and indeed incomplete knowledge of the creature), write a lot of world-building lore to make it believable in the context of the game (It helps if you can fire up the GM's imagination), and incorporate some ideas for interesting drawbacks as a polite gesture (I made the Amber have a weakness toward sonic frequencies, for example, also the existence of a Giant Carnivorous Space Mantis that can be used as a threat, or that may rampage about the ship at some point, because I'm literally growing one right now)-after that, the GM will let have almost anything...within reason. :P

Tldr
"I have a gun that can kill anything in the universe!" [Rejected]

"This old metal staff was found by my great grandfather the ruins of an ancient temple, on a lost world many years ago. It was once far greater, but now it is empty of any power it might have held, likely forever...and, perhaps that is for the best. It's been passed down from father to son, since then...I have no idea what it does, or what it's purpose might have once been, nor can I read the elusive script that sometimes glimmers, and sometimes shifts, in it's opaque, etched surface. It took my own father his entire life just to translate a single word on it's face...the word he read was Death. Since then, it's been our bond and oath to keep it at my families side." [Approved?]

This is an excellent description of how to get something or make me accept the pre-existence of an item or a contact. Hell, I loved the name Fuzzy so much that he became a major player, and that's just because it tickled my fancy.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

It ain't a great update, but it's in editing now and I can at least get the ball rolling again.
How can it not be a great update, Khate is trying to unilaterally enrage a god.

This is an excellent description of how to get something or make me accept the pre-existence of an item or a contact. Hell, I loved the name Fuzzy so much that he became a major player, and that's just because it tickled my fancy.
Ooh! Ooh! Let me try!

Quote from: Step 1
Start small to allow the GM room to finesse your idea into the game through careful balancing (Sadish began without any working models of amber, and an incomplete method of Amber production, and indeed incomplete knowledge of the creature),
"We call this a FUN BALL!"

Quote from: Step 2
write a lot of world-building lore to make it believable in the context of the game (It helps if you can fire up the GM's imagination),
"...so naturally and like every other expedition they end up in the pit, but unlike previous expeditions they're all pretty familiar with pits so most of them survive! So as they're eating the victory feast, they start asking about maybe buying some sacrifices for their own show, and describing it and showing off some videos to explain what they need stone-wielding savages with no fear of death for, and the natives are so impressed with their sacred rites that they offer them PRESENTS! Because they felt sorry for them not having their own looming machine-god demanding constant sacrifice on pain of exterminating that sector and repopulating it from more successful ones, and therefore also not producing wondrous divine gifts for them to use when victorious!"

Quote from: Step 2
and incorporate some ideas for interesting drawbacks as a polite gesture (I made the Amber have a weakness toward sonic frequencies, for example, also the existence of a Giant Carnivorous Space Mantis that can be used as a threat, or that may rampage about the ship at some point, because I'm literally growing one right now)-after that, the GM will let have almost anything...within reason. :P
"So how exactly do you tell these 'divine servitors' to whatever the shit out of the bad guys and not us?"
*curious head tilt*
*nose pinching, deep sigh*

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Lol, that's great.

Also, red, because she's definitely not an expy that's sort of not really an expy any more, nope
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Having now had time to read the update:

shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit Scarlet quick gnaw your own arms off shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit

Khate recognized that Bulge.
I nearly missed this. Draignean you scamp.

Okay, so I can safely say Varky is in his element. I did not expect or agree to that at all. We may be performing even worse ideas in a moment.

Scarlet really should amputate her arms if she can and it's not already too late. If it is too late... fire? But we just lost our source of fire. Sadish is too far away to do much. There's a chance he underestimated Scarlet's regeneration and she'll be fine, but I'm not super fond of that plan.

My planmaking is further hampered by not knowing what Varky has planned. Can I ask him about that in between turns, Draig?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Khate recognized that Bulge.
I nearly missed this. Draignean you scamp.

I regret nothing.

My planmaking is further hampered by not knowing what Varky has planned. Can I ask him about that in between turns, Draig?

Sure, talking is mostly free. I mean, don't expect him to go into details, but he's not exactly the kind of guy to share details with anyone. If he even has any ahead of time.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

...Can I actually regrow an arm?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...Can I actually regrow an arm?

On your own? I'd say your Nanites are advanced enough, but it would take a VERY long time to do it completely from scratch, and you'd need to eat constantly.
---

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Hm. I'm thinking a brute force approach here. They're probably programmed to be somewhat conservative normally; carefully identify before destroying foreign bodies lest you accidentally kill a blood cell or something, that kind of thing. But this is a "shoot first, ask questions later" sort of situation for the nanites at least, so could I basically give them some sort of "purge" order to kill the shit already inside Scarlet and hopefully wear away at the tentacles enough for her to disengage, critical and painful muscle and nervous damage be damned? Currently trying to think of other solutions while trying to get out of "OH FUC-" mode
GM of Trespassers V2.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm. I'm thinking a brute force approach here. They're probably programmed to be somewhat conservative normally; carefully identify before destroying foreign bodies lest you accidentally kill a blood cell or something, that kind of thing. But this is a "shoot first, ask questions later" sort of situation for the nanites at least, so could I basically give them some sort of "purge" order to kill the shit already inside Scarlet and hopefully wear away at the tentacles enough for her to disengage, critical and painful muscle and nervous damage be damned? Currently trying to think of other solutions while trying to get out of "OH FUC-" mode

Yes, you can try to order your Nanites to try and purge.

The tentacles have already disengaged. Right after he spoke, he let go of you. You are the dead. You are of no interest to him anymore.
---

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Ah, right. That simplifies things. Sort of.

(aaa, i complain constantly about my players not reading and here I am doing the same thing)
GM of Trespassers V2.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

[anxiety]I don't know if Mickaw calmed down because of what we did or is it because this was a save[/anxiety] (Illustrating my anxiety that affects me in that one goal mentioned long ago in trying to running games x.x and my unfamiliarity with GMing)

[awesome sage advice]

I...I tried ._.

Yes, you can try to order your Nanites to try and purge.

The tentacles have already disengaged. Right after he spoke, he let go of you. You are the dead. You are of no interest to him anymore.
._.
So somebody is next! [and/or cutting own arm off or having your suit 'seal' off the appendage seems best x.x]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:13:55 am by Tiruin »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diplomacy worked? I don't get to pound Mickaw's dumb face in? Everything went worse and better than expected.

We should probably get some medical aid for Mickaw (and Boris). The bomb can wait a moment - barging into the hangar with a seemingly-dead Mickaw might lead to some misunderstandings. Boris will want to look for Sadish first, though. Getting post up in a lil while.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Diplomacy worked? I don't get to pound Mickaw's dumb face in? Everything went worse and better than expected.

We should probably get some medical aid for Mickaw (and Boris). The bomb can wait a moment - barging into the hangar with a seemingly-dead Mickaw might lead to some misunderstandings. Boris will want to look for Sadish first, though. Getting post up in a lil while.
Wait it did?! I was too busy being anxious and reading up everyone else's turn (and basking in the glory of narrative writing and missing reading novels) :O

At least we have Sadish's workshop. And that reminds me!
Sitrep, Boris. :P

I *don't* think you popped anything vital though :O He wouldn't be able to speak that much if it was, and probably just popped his mech's...something that controls the shields and got him winded. Maybe he's an android or something? Either way, it's not the spine as vertebral fracturing or...mining-suit-induced punching, rather, would cause you to be able to feel if this person is paralyzed or with the loss of neural touches.
Heh, neural touch.

It's 10pm. x_x I'm talking to myself and feeling old. Aaaaaaaaaaaa

Boris will want to look for Sadish first, though. Getting post up in a lil while.
I'll assume that given my 'feeling that everything is okay', I checked the hangar and Mickaw's team's response, and they're not rather forming up a firing line in your direction or storming the different adjacent rooms to shoot anyone and capture the bridge. :P
That...and you may have ruined or exacerbated something by carrying him like that. .-.; I may be assuming too much other than 'he stops talking after you do {this}'
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:01:31 am by Tiruin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Euuuuuuuh

Crikey

Um

So Scarlet needs to slice her arms off and we need to flee hard?

The only useful thing I can think of for Aubrey to do right now is keep up the interdiction of the interdiction from as far as possible and lock them all in.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 71