Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I encourage scribing?  (Read 910 times)

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I encourage scribing?
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:46:51 am »

I've got some of my adventure mode characters in my fort for training and I realized I'd apparently neglected to raise reader high enough in character creation. Supposedly scribes will eventually gain reader but I can't get my adventurer to do it consistently even with her other tasks off, plenty of paper, and nowhere to do random activities like pray. She did some scribing at first but now she's just hanging out with No Job all the time. Any advice?

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I encourage scribing?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 02:35:25 pm »

Forbid, unpause and unforbid all items in the library.

There is a bug that stops scribes from doing anything, sometimes the above solves it temporarily.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 04:19:22 pm »

There is a bug that stops scribes from doing anything, sometimes the above solves it temporarily.

That worked! Thank you so much.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 01:17:16 am »

This really should be fixed considering the number of people that are asking for it all the time.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 03:06:35 am »

This really should be fixed considering the number of people that are asking for it all the time.
Be careful with what you say lest you too be branded a heretic!

(There was recently a discussion where someone expressed a preference for a bit of tidying up before Toady rushed on to new things. That sentiment was met with a surprising amount of criticism. I profess to being a heretic in this respect).

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 03:25:25 am »

Be careful with what you say lest you too be branded a heretic!

(There was recently a discussion where someone expressed a preference for a bit of tidying up before Toady rushed on to new things. That sentiment was met with a surprising amount of criticism. I profess to being a heretic in this respect).
I second that notion as well.
And speaking of the issue that started this thread:
- all people using library will bump into it sooner or later. My scribes did over 100 copies and then decided to stop.
Sadly, 30 new books were written in my fortress after that point.

So yeah, it would be nice to 'tide things up'.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 03:44:30 am »

Good to know.
I built a huge library in hope my scribes and scholars would fill it wth books.
But after years, only 6 books including copies were made.
The merchants in that world didn't bring books.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 06:42:09 am »

The difference between a bug and an unimplemented feature is that you expected the bug to work ;-)

I say this as a professional software developer, and with no disrespect intended: prioritisation in DF development is strange.  However, it gives you magical moments like cats puking from licking beer off their paws.  If you were in a normal development shop, there is just *nothing* in there that would *ever* get prioritised up.  And even the fix to make sure cats aren't downing full pints with every lick just would never, ever happen because there are other serious parts of the game that are really broken.  A few dead cats here and there are probably a welcome sight for newbies who have yet to learn the art of gelding.

So, while I think it's never a bad thing to throw your voice into the mix and say, "I'd like scribes to be fixed", the process up to this point has led to wonders that you could never see anywhere else.  I wouldn't get too worried if it never gets fixed because there are other wonders still to come.