Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Finding Adamantite 101  (Read 9044 times)

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Adamantite 101
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 03:55:02 pm »

Nitpick: it's adamantine, not adamantite.

Sorry, I get the two mixed up. It is raw adamantine after it's mined, after all.

Thanks to all others who've been of help, while I'm posting.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 02:56:08 am »

When messing around with reveal hell, I've seen only 1 layer as safe, but I wouldn't be surprised for the number to be 0.

I've seen dozens of safe layers in a spire. It all depends...
Yes, safe in the sense that nothing bad happened, sure: I've had 50 or so, I think. My meaning of "safe" here was "what I can mine out knowing beforehand that nothing bad WILL happen".

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 03:09:39 pm »

Figuring out which squares are safe without cheaty methods like dwarven radar is a lot like playing mine sweeper. Just remember the hollow core is always 2x2 and at least partially overlaps the hollow section in the level above and below it.

As for initially finding it, you can often find spires penetrating into the lower cavern levels. It's a good place to do your initial search.

I just thought I should add, be VERY wary of using the fortification method if you value your FPS. Once you've taken a peak you can never undo it. That is the true punishment for uncovering the HFS.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:14:24 pm by Melting Sky »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 03:37:19 pm »

I'm curious, what kind of FPS drop have you witnessed, Patrick?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 04:36:00 pm »

Huh what? i don't recall mentioning FPS, nor can I find it when reviewing my posts above? Are you perhaps asking Melting Sky?

Anyway, I haven't been too badly hit by HFS FPS drops. Sure, there have been a bit of a drop, but certainly less than getting a full gobbo siege topside. However, when I breach it's either planned, in which case there are narrow paths for the buggers to follow (even though they sometimes just refuse to use them, so I've had to open another one), or unplanned, in which case the fortress has been lost (me giving up, since I've had no chance of dealing with them when I fail to lock them out with improvised emergency measures).

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 05:01:13 pm »

Huh what? i don't recall mentioning FPS, nor can I find it when reviewing my posts above? Are you perhaps asking Melting Sky?

Anyway, I haven't been too badly hit by HFS FPS drops. Sure, there have been a bit of a drop, but certainly less than getting a full gobbo siege topside. However, when I breach it's either planned, in which case there are narrow paths for the buggers to follow (even though they sometimes just refuse to use them, so I've had to open another one), or unplanned, in which case the fortress has been lost (me giving up, since I've had no chance of dealing with them when I fail to lock them out with improvised emergency measures).

My mistake, yeah, I was asking Melting Sky, sorry! And yeah, that has been my impression as well, some FPS hit but less than a goblin siege.
Pages: 1 [2]