Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege Operating issue. Dwarfs keep running away.  (Read 680 times)

Kalle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege Operating issue. Dwarfs keep running away.
« on: September 15, 2006, 10:09:00 am »

I just lived through a Goblin siege. I had Ballistas in fortified emplacements flanking my gate, with a little moat in front. One group of Goblins had reached my drawbridge and were just milling outside straight ahead of my Ballista so I ordered it to fire. My dedicated Siege operating dwarf immediately got on the task, but when he got to the Ballista he ran away, scared off by the fact that goblins were nearby.

With that in mind, I wonder if Siege Operating should really be a skill handled by civilians. Logically it would be guards or military dwarves who manned siege weapons.

My humble suggestion is to scrap the Siege Operating skill. You could make loading the siege weapons part of the Siege Engineering skill and firing the weapons could be left to marksdwarfs. Optimally some kind of dedicated siege trooper, stationed permanently at his/her emplacement in times of war, and with access to a siege weapon training range could be implemented, but I understand if that's not a priority.

What would be nice though is being able to fire my siege weapons reliably. Aiming them at anything useful is hard enough, atleast let me make use of them.

[ September 15, 2006: Message edited by: Kalle ]

Kalle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege Operating issue. Dwarfs keep running away.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 01:34:00 pm »

This should probably go in the Suggestions forum now that I think of it.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:21:00 pm »

I like the idea of a siege weapons training area. Instead of just having my catapults launch rocks off the edge of the map constantly, I'd love to see a pitted and cratered area outside where many siege operators have earned their "catapulting" cub scout badge. That'd be a fun thing for the goblin raiders to see when they enter my map, a large field that looks like the moon's surface.

Valkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 10:39:00 pm »

If you orient a catapult to the north or south, the stone smashes into the ground leaving a mark.

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 06:24:00 am »

I placed a catapult 2 or 3 tiles inside the cliff face and the shots now seem to bridge quite well the distance to where the humans build their camp fires. Now all my dwarves have to learn is not to aim at the empty spots between the fires ...

[ September 17, 2006: Message edited by: Satyr ]