Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Urist McSpaceman (Aurora 4x Community Game)  (Read 7804 times)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McSpaceman (Aurora 4x Community Game)
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 07:47:57 pm »

(Update time!)

June 6th, 259

Despite our beloved Olon Gearabbeys dying just a few days before today the Naval Headquarters is excited to announce that a young Dwarf by the name of Euchre Jack has been assigned as the Naval Militaries Commander, meaning that Euchre will be leading the entirety of our military on all fronts. Due to this, more positions have opened up in the Headquarters to be filled. On a side note, with our Research also being completed days prior there will be new research in Nuclear Thermal Engine Technology which will allow us to finally create an engine for our ships and finally have Dwarves out to explore the celestial bodies in our system. We also have NPCDwarf researching a way to increase our mining production on Urist using newfangled machinery and contraptions.

The positions that are open to in the Military HQ are thus...

April 16th, 260 -

The conversion of CI was completed on Urist today, meaning we no longer have any conventional industry as it has all been converted. Sadly the plans Olon (May he rest in peace) had for the Conventional Industry had to be adjusted slightly. Instead of 650/350 like he originally planned, it changed to 550/350/100, that 100 being Fuel Refinery as we had not been refining fuel up until this very day. What is planned next is the construction of a Commercial Shipyard that will allow us to build our Geo Survey ships, upgrading the Military Academy twice, and then constructing 10 more Research labs. After all of this is completed, depending on the situation we might begin construction on a few Mass Drivers with the Council's approval.

July 1st, 261 -

Just a quick notification that research into base Railgun Launch Velocity of 1 has been completed and now science Dwarfs will begin looking into Improved Command and Control, which will allow us to begin designating Sector Governors, which are people who will be representatives of an entire system. Once it's done we will have to decide on someone to become the Sector Governor of our system the Eye of Armok.

August 6th, 263 -

Exciting news at the Urist University of the Gifted. Rinz McWind has finally graduated and earned his degree! It also happened that on this very same day research completed into the newfangled Mining technology, scientists all across the world are treating this as a sign that Rinz McWind will only bring good things in the future! He has even been awarded the Title of "The Prodigy of Power and Propulsion", mostly shortened to just "The Prodigy". He will be in turn taking over NPCDwarf's project on Nuclear Thermal Engines and the 8 labs dedicated to said project, said NPCDwarf gladly giving over the frustrating project to him. He estimates that he will be able to finish the project in just a few months, whilst the other dwarf had estimated it to take closer to 2 years. This proves even more that he has gained his title!

September 26th, 263 -

Rinz McWind has announced that his new Nuclear Thermal Engine Systems research is done, and he has already created an engine in just a few hours because he was, and i quote here, "Bored and wanted something to do." Thanks to this we now can create our first Geo Survery Ship, assign an officer to it who can name it whatever they wish, and send it off on it's mission. Here's what the design looks like so far! Suggestions are also being taken into account for the Class Name of said ship, for now it's class name placeholder is the "Discovery" class of ships.

Code: [Select]
Discovery class Geological Survey Vessel    5 100 tons     56 Crew     259.275 BP      TCS 102  TH 188  EM 0
1843 km/s     Armour 1-26     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/1     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 32    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 120 months    Spare Berths 0   

Armok Industries 62.5 EP Commercial Nuclear Thermal Engine (3)    Power 62.5    Fuel Use 13.26%    Signature 62.5    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 13.3 billion km   (83 days at full power)

Geological Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 08:11:48 pm »

High Dwarven Senate.

A delegate on the very top balcony shouts "Wha' about Ore Sniffer?" Another delegate, by the door, shouts "Nah, nah! I say Star Hog! Ye know, like the hogs they use fer findin' mushrooms!".
"Oh, yer all clearly idiots!", shouts another delegate, "It obviously ought to be Breaker McWind, to honour the designer!". A third delegate (Master Urist McGelderson, five years old) bangs his toy hammer against the railing chanting "Alcovecrab! Alcovecrab! Alcovecrab!"

At which point the summit dissolved into a riot, as the late Governor Gearabbey's former cabinet threw a tantrum because no one listened to their suggestion; Gearabbey the Magnificence of Gearabbeys.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2016, 09:53:59 pm »

(I'm thinking RP wise we would name different weapons systems different classes. So for example we create a basic Railgun with the tech we have now and it's just called Railgun, and then later on when we create a much better Railgun, we name it something different like a Coilgun or a Stretchgun ect. And we do that with all weapons systems.

It's just a thought though, ultimately we'd decide this as a group, doesn't mean i won't use such a thing in my private games though!)
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 09:33:06 pm »

The Press goes wild at the announcement of the first Naval Headquarters Commander, and everyone wants to quote the young Army Lieutenant, now transferred to the Navy without warning, brevetted to a suitable Naval rank, and placed in charge of all Naval affairs.

They only manage to pry the following quote regarding such a startling change in his fortunes:
"I follow orders"

(Heh, just had to poke a little fun for the total reclassification of my role.  Glad for the promotion and transfer.  Golly, I would have been happy as a lowly no-skill Army Colonel, perpetually stationed on Earth's 22nd Replacement Company, never to see the slightest bit of excitement or responsibility.)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 02:35:49 am »

(In all honesty thats what i was actually going to do, i made you a low ranking officer. And then 5 in game days later i went to go assign the headquarters command and he was our only officer ranked high enough to do it. I have no idea what happened in those 5 days, and i dont think i want to know.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:07:56 am by Unknown72 »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 02:45:03 am »

I think it is quite obvious: he created an artifact.
Celestia Fear is a piece of paper. It is studded with duranium and menacing with spikes of sodium. On it is written an order of battle and a defence plan for Urist.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 02:58:34 am »

Of course! Our military only deserves the best and him creating such a wonderous artifact would naturally propel him up the chain of command! There were talks about putting such a beautiful artifact on as a main display at the Dwarven Museum of History, but then the suggested action was disregarded due to the possible security compromises if we did such a thing. Instead it was placed in the main hall of the Military Academy behind reinforced glass and to this day inspires other aspiring military Dwarves to strive for greatness.

(Will be making a really small update soon but said update will have !FUN! errr, i mean, fluff. Cant have !FUN! yet, nothing to make it happen.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:08:52 am by Unknown72 »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 03:54:42 am »

August 21st 264

A young looking Dwarf stood upon a raised platform in front of a podium, behind him was a large object covered by a sheet and to his right standing in a line were 56 men with a single man standing in front of them, and in front of the raised platform sat hundreds, almost thousands, of Dwarves excitedly shifting in their seats. They quickly quieted down as the Dwarf standing behind the podium began talking.

"14 years, it took us 14 years to reach this momentous point, 14 years to gather the resources needed to make this announcement today. For the first time in Dwarven-kind history we will be setting out to do something never before seen. We will be travelling into the void..." As he said this many mutterings were heard amongst the more economic, scientific, and explorative focused Dwarves before they quieted down.

"On this day of August 21st, 264 After Armok, we will be sending these 56 brave men and their Captain out into the void to begin scanning other celestial bodies for resources that we could possibly exploit. This is a new and momentous bookmark in Dwarf History that could very well change all of Dwarf Kind. As Void Travel is no longer just a dream for young Dwarves, we now have the capability and the resources to travel through the void without incident. So without further ado, i happily give you the Breaker McWind class Geological Survery Shipm aptly named, The Discovery, until the captain of said ship decides to change it's name!" With a flourish of his hands the Dwarf gestured towards the sheet and it was swiftly pulled away to reveal the ship in question.

It didn't look sleek at all, nor did it look fancy, it was likened more to a highly technological block of Duranium and Red Paint, as insisted by Rinz McWind to have all ship's and ship components painted Red to make them faster. The block had various windows stationed around it's 3 floors, and in the very back a large engine could be seen with the McWind patent branded upon it. The front of the ship featured a window that showed a cockpit with various seating arrangements and just below said window what looked to be a Radar Dish looking device that would be used to scan planet surfaces for the ever sought after Trans-Newtonian Minerals.

"We will be sending off these very brave men off for an indeterminate amount of time. They will spend 10 years out into the Void scanning celestial bodies for us, and will return at the end of those said 10 years to visit their families and have maintenance done on their ship. We offer our hopes and dreams to them, for they are now happily burdened with them..." With that said a large applause erupted all across all of Urist as Dwarves that had seen the broadcast at home and in person were moved to tears and excitement at the new prospects before them...

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 04:21:12 am »

August 21st 264
A young looking Dwarf stood upon a raised platform in front of a podium, behind him was a large object covered by a sheet and to his right standing in a line were 56 men with a single man standing in front of them, and in front of the raised platform sat hundreds, almost thousands, of Dwarves excitedly shifting in their seats. They quickly quieted down as the Dwarf standing behind the podium began talking.

"14 years, it took us 14 years to reach this momentous point, 14 years to gather the resources needed to make this announcement today. For the first time in Dwarven-kind history we will be setting out to do something never before seen. We will be travelling into the void..." As he said this many mutterings were heard amongst the more economic, scientific, and explorative focused Dwarves before they quieted down.

"On this day of August 21st, 264 After Armok, we will be sending these 56 brave men and their Captain out into the void to begin scanning other celestial bodies for resources that we could possibly exploit. This is a new and momentous bookmark in Dwarf History that could very well change all of Dwarf Kind. As Void Travel is no longer just a dream for young Dwarves, we now have the capability and the resources to travel through the void without incident. So without further ado, i happily give you the Breaker McWind class Geological Survery Shipm aptly named, The Discovery, until the captain of said ship decides to change it's name!" With a flourish of his hands the Dwarf gestured towards the sheet and it was swiftly pulled away to reveal the ship in question.

It didn't look sleek at all, nor did it look fancy, it was likened more to a highly technological block of Duranium and Red Paint, as insisted by Rinz McWind to have all ship's and ship components painted Red to make them faster. The block had various windows stationed around it's 3 floors, and in the very back a large engine could be seen with the McWind patent branded upon it. The front of the ship featured a window that showed a cockpit with various seating arrangements and just below said window what looked to be a Radar Dish looking device that would be used to scan planet surfaces for the ever sought after Trans-Newtonian Minerals.

"We will be sending off these very brave men off for an indeterminate amount of time. They will spend 10 years out into the Void scanning celestial bodies for us, and will return at the end of those said 10 years to visit their families and have maintenance done on their ship. We offer our hopes and dreams to them, for they are now happily burdened with them..." With that said a large applause erupted all across all of Urist as Dwarves that had seen the broadcast at home and in person were moved to tears and excitement at the new prospects before them...
M8, ya got it all wrong. Ya gotta paint it black to get it to run faster ((Please don't kill me))
The CEO of Insane Arms commissions the design of a basic, short-ranged, high speed and highly maneuverable missile dubbed the 'Bumblebee SRSM' with a primary function of a anti-missile missile or, in an emergency, a Short Range Streak Missile
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 04:40:16 am »

August 21st 264

M8, ya got it all wrong. Ya gotta paint it black to get it to run faster ((Please don't kill me))
The CEO of Insane Arms commissions the design of a basic, short-ranged, high speed and highly maneuverable missile dubbed the 'Bumblebee SRSM' with a primary function of a anti-missile missile or, in an emergency, a Short Range Streak Missile

The government thanks you with such a commission, appropriate Fire Control, Launcher, and Magazine's will be created to house such a fine missile. The council will be sure to send you more support via funds and materials as thanks in return.

(So right now we have a Ship that anyone can become the captain of if they wish to. Does anyone want to command and name the first ship ever created by dwarven kind? Cause if not i'mma jump on that thing faster then Dwarves to Admantium!)

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 01:32:40 pm »

Dwarven mathematics later calculated that August 22nd in the year of 264 produced twenty-five thousand tons of vomit, and was the greatest co-ordinated hangover thus far in Dwarven history.

Safely tucked away in the deepest vault of Stonemantle Bank, the first blueprint draft of the first dwarven void vessel bides its time. It'll no doubt be a priceless artefact one day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It menaces with nothing but its sheer brilliance.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 12:06:41 pm »

The next planet out of system with liquid water should be named Beached Whale.

Also PTW. (Aurora has always been a curiosity of mine but the sheer range of options has me needing to start simpler with something like Stars!)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 03:32:27 pm »

Also PTW. (Aurora has always been a curiosity of mine but the sheer range of options has me needing to start simpler with something like Stars!)

Agreed, Beached Whale for the first planet that has liquid water on it! And yea, Aurora has always been fairly complicated but it's a little similar to DF in that once you get over that learning curve then fun times are had.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 03:47:34 pm »

Agreed, Beached Whale for the first planet that has liquid water on it! And yea, Aurora has always been fairly complicated but it's a little similar to DF in that once you get over that learning curve then fun times are had.

Aurora has way more choices from moment to moment than DF. I'll get into it eventually. I have a 2nd monitor with an option for a 3rd if I need it.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 04:12:24 pm »

True enough, especially since there are Racial tech's that you can get when you destroy other factions which just adds more possibilities.

Aurora has way more choices from moment to moment than DF. I'll get into it eventually. I have a 2nd monitor with an option for a 3rd if I need it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4