Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Urist McSpaceman (Aurora 4x Community Game)  (Read 7808 times)

Bacos666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McSpaceman (Aurora 4x Community Game)
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 04:04:31 pm »

In remembrance of all those new barons drafted into the 'special' squad following their first mandate, I call dibs on an officer who is incompetent, but is still promoted due to political connections (assuming we get one of those).

I'm going to watch this LP to see if it's worth downloading myself... It looks promising so far.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 05:26:44 pm »

In remembrance of all those new barons drafted into the 'special' squad following their first mandate, I call dibs on an officer who is incompetent, but is still promoted due to political connections (assuming we get one of those).

I'm going to watch this LP to see if it's worth downloading myself... It looks promising so far.

Awesome, you have a specific name you want or do you just want to be named Bacos666

Yes, it'll handle itself through the civilian economy. Settlements will produce stuff they need, and later want, and civilian (NPC) shipping lines will haul them around, generating trade income and wealth. Your main influence of it all is through taxation or subsidising. Since we're being greedy little beasts, I imagine the d0rf government will be quite free market friendly.

Urist should be producing wine (colonies do, once they hit a population of 20 million), and in larger amounts as the population increases. It is a good thing that our good Governor focus on the necessary victuals in life, no one should shoot for the stars while sober.
Olon's first mandate is:  Booze, you fools!  Dwarf populations are burgeoning, and for the first time in the history of the Mountainhomes we have more than 200 dwarves in a single outpost!  As Governor of Urist, I hereby mandate that we make sure there's enough booze and other forms of entertainment for everyone on Urist, and maybe dwarves off Urist too!

(I have no idea how you would implement that, if at all, in-game.)

I just learned that Orbital Habitats are a thing, which means we could always make a Booze Bar in the future for earth if you'd like?
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 07:51:27 pm »

Alright, quick note before i start this update, i upped the maximum number of systems to 500, and this might be upped again at a later point. I'm also gonna tone down a bit on the Tutorialness of this community game, but if people want me to continue explaining stuff in depth then i will!

Now, onto the update!

January 1st, 250: During a political debate Olon Gearabbeys made the claim to give beer to all dwarves both on and off our home of Urist, this claim pushed his approval rating well past what he needed, and as a result he has become the new Governor of Urist, representing all of Urist as a whole. He then proceeded to designate Urist's Conventional Industry into a 650/350 split of Construction/Mining (though this will only be possible once Professor McShovlington finally finishes his research), and whispers of creating a Dwarf Orbital Habitat of Booze once the appropriate technology has been obtained, further improving his approval rating and thusly becoming one of the most well like Urist Governors in history, despite being the first one.

May 1st, 254: Professor McShovlington has finally finished his research on utilizing the Trans-Newtonian Minerals that he's discovered. Work has begun to go into converting the conventional industry on Urist and different research. There are already Engines planned that will allow us to travel through our System, and research is going into scanning the celestial bodies of our system for places of these new minerals. The estimated date to finish the conversion of Conventional Industry tells us that the earlier our Factory Construction will be in early 263, but we will keep in mind that as more Construction Factory's are built, the lower the date gets as the factories do help in building even more factories. Afterwards we have the mines set to be built, and then the last of the factory's to be built. Once that's done, there might be a look into upgrading our Military Academy once or twice to get more Dwarves to graduate with better Degrees. The Current research in progress will be utilizing our scientists specializations. So currently NPCDwarf is researching Geological Survey Sensors, which will allow us to scan other bodies in the great Void for more of these mysterious Trans-Newtonian Minerals. Then we have McShovlington focusing on his Logistics/Ground Support specialty, as he is researching Cryogenic Transport which will allow us to use Dwarven Ice Magic and Contraptions to freeze 10,000 Dwarves per module in a ship with the goal of Colonizing other planets and celestial bodies. Then we have NPCDwarf going into research on what he likes to call a 10cm(Cubic Meter) Railgun, which will allow us to fling any metals we don't need at high speeds towards any Space Tree Huggers that we meet. And finally we have NPCDwarf researching a 10cm Meson Focal Size, which he says should allow us to fire something called a "laser" that isn't disrupted by Planetary Atmospheres and enemy "Protection Spells".

We endeavor to create possible warships with these weapons should we ever meet any Tree Huggers out there in the void...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:20:22 pm by Unknown72 »
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 08:51:04 pm »

Built on a single, simple promise that speaks to all of Dwarven kind, Olon Gearabbeys's campaign is a quick, clean and simple task. His posters speaks his mind as well as he ever could in person, and it is quickly agreed that he is, indeed, the right dwarf for the time.

(Big 'un)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nebulous plans of orbital pubs, deep space mining, wealth beyond the wildest fantasies of all dwarven hearts buries whatever little doubt there was, and the massive spike in booze production provides drink for the service.
With the Tree Huggers and the gobbos now but a distant memory from ancient times, the faint hope of once more having a worthy enemy takes root, as hawk-minded boffins takes weaponry to new, dizzying heights.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 11:29:11 pm »

Just a quick update to say that i won't be able to update this till at the earliest Saturday, possibly Friday.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »

Alright, i have time to do an update, so i shall do that in a moment. The main thing is that i saw the description in the Play with your Buddies thread said this - "Go ahead and start whatever non-DF video game play-along you'd like here, provided you are following the forum guidelines.  DF community play-alongs are much better placed at DF Community Games & Stories." and as a result i am favorably tempted to move this thread to that section or ask a mod to move it here, i going to try and ask a Mod before i do so, or if you all tell me that it'd be fine.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 06:52:51 am »

Alright, i have time to do an update, so i shall do that in a moment. The main thing is that i saw the description in the Play with your Buddies thread said this - "Go ahead and start whatever non-DF video game play-along you'd like here, provided you are following the forum guidelines.  DF community play-alongs are much better placed at DF Community Games & Stories." and as a result i am favorably tempted to move this thread to that section or ask a mod to move it here, i going to try and ask a Mod before i do so, or if you all tell me that it'd be fine.

Nah, this isn't DF, just based upon it.  The basic game is Aurora, hence it should stay here.

Dwarf me as an Army Commander.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 08:23:12 am »

Could I have an arms company? "Insane Arms" which will be responsible for missile design + production, fighter gauss and CIWS units. Also from time to time we will invest some assets of ours into the government, such as prototype fighters. or other expenditures.

Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 01:54:02 pm »

Nah, this isn't DF, just based upon it.  The basic game is Aurora, hence it should stay here.

Alright, gotcha, makes more sense then what i was thinking in all honesty.

Our ranking system for Naval Officers goes like thus (I'll put how many of that rank we have in parenthesis)
Fleet Admiral (0)
Admiral (0)
Vice Admiral(0)
Rear Admiral(0)
Commodore (0)
Captain (1)
Commander (3)
Lieutenant Commander ( 8 )

And the ranking for Ground Forces are like thus
Lieutenant General (0)
Major General (0)
Brigadier General (3)
Colonel (11)

Which Rank would you like? Keep in mind that the Naval Officers will be seeing the most combat later on, and they get passively promoted as well.

Could I have an arms company? "Insane Arms" which will be responsible for missile design + production, fighter gauss and CIWS units. Also from time to time we will invest some assets of ours into the government, such as prototype fighters. or other expenditures.

You sure can! Henceforth all of our Missiles (And their prospective Parts), Gauss Fighters, and CIWS units will have "Insane Arms" as their beginning tagline. Though many dwarves suspect that every unit and weapon given to the government are old models, and that their weapons systems are far more advanced then they lead on to believe.

Now, onto an update!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:00:21 pm by Unknown72 »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 02:31:06 pm »

July 1st, 256-

NPCDwarf has finished his research into Geological Survey technology, and as a result research has begun to look into a new type of Engine type. Our current types would not be efficient enough to allow our Dwarves to accurately scan any planets. Once that new Engine type research is done, there will be a new engine created and placed onto one of our ships alongside the Geo Survey unit, and finally, we can have our first space faring Dwarves go out and scan planets and other bodies for resources! It's an exciting day for Dwarves, but not as exciting when the new engine type is done researching!

August 1st, 256 -

McShovlington, one of our most leading scientists, has finished his research into Cryogenic Transport, which allows us to use advanced Dwarven Ice Magic and Dwarven Contraptions to allow us to store 10,000 frozen Dwarves per unit, and have them colonize other bodies. Right now, not knowing what other bodies we CAN colonize at the moment, nor what they have on them, this unit will most likely not see use for a little while, but this does open up McShovlington to look into different types of research in his unit. His next rumored Research is what he likes to call a Boat Bay, which will allow us to store 250 ton Fighter Craft per unit, which he has commented saying that the research should finish in early July of 258.

May 1st, 258 -

Research into the first part of Railgun's have finished, allowing us to create 10 Cubic Meter sized Railguns, but according to NPCDwarf she will need to research a component that allows her to control the Velocity of said Railguns. Nonetheless Dwarves across Urist are excited to be getting closer to their first actual weapons, being able to fire the gravestones of Tree Huggers and other ilk in order to destroy possible enemies is just an added bonus!

August 1st, 258

Today was a sad day in Dwarven history... Back during the political elections for the Governor of Urist to be decided (which Olon Gearabbeys was happily elected) there was that single .01% that did not vote for such an outstanding dwarf. Well, today officers both Naval and Ground has found his hideaway, but they did not expect for said dwarf to be a Vampire in hiding. After a long fight, he was finally put down, but we have lost a large majority of our Naval Officers (Most notably our first Commadore) and a small few of our Ground Officers. A Monument to these brave Dwarves has been created to honor them, their names put on all sides of said Monument, the monument itself looks like a Physical Manifestation of Armok himself, and was created by Urist McCarvesArt when he was hit by a wave of inspiration.

On a happier note

McShovlington has finished his research into Boat Bays and is now looking into research on a Hanger Deck, which will allow us to store up to 2 Fighters per (Fighters have a max size of 500 Tons) (1,000 Tons of Fighter/Ship Carrier Capability) or 1 Fast Attack Craft of varying sizes (A Fast Attack Craft's max size is 1000 Tons) per unit. Though he informs us that with our currently limited amount of Research Facilities that he will not finish this research for upwards close to 8 years.

June 1st, 259 -

Today is a very sad day indeed...

Our dear governor of Earth, Olon Gearabbey's was killed in a horrific accident due to a Naval Officer's negligence in securing proper protocol of Olon's guard. He was assassinated today due to such a negligence and as a result the officer has been demoted and a world wide funeral has been held in his honor. His plans for beer for all Dwarves is still put in play, as is his plans for an Orbital Beer Station, but that only slightly lessens the heartbreak that has our dear Governor dead. A new election will be held in order to select a new Governor for earth.

On a happier note

2 Important pieces of research finished on this very same day, the most notable being the Pressurized Water Reactors, which will allow us to begin research into the new Engine type and will allow us to research a design for said engine type, and then finally create our first ship that will go out to scan planets for resources on other celestial bodies! This is both a saddening but momentous day.

(@Iituem So sadly your governor died, but that doesn't mean you can't still be governor. It's just that it's still early game, which means that years will go by pretty quickly as we build up our planet and get certain important research done. You can become Governor still if you want to as well.)

(So for now, we will have an NPCDwarf as Governor of Earth until someone wants to be named as said Governor.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:03:39 pm by Unknown72 »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 03:04:25 pm »

Rinz McWind would like to join if/when you have a power/propulsion scientist.
Someone who knows the importance of red in engine design needs to be in charge there.

(I also don't understand your research priorities, why do you go into weapons already?)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2016, 03:15:43 pm »

I just discovered that i cannot in fact change the generated system amount once the game has already been generated. So that means we're stuck with only 150 systems.

Rinz McWind would like to join if/when you have a power/propulsion scientist.
Someone who knows the importance of red in engine design needs to be in charge there.

(I also don't understand your research priorities, why do you go into weapons already?)

(I'm just getting the Base technologies for weapons just in case and so that we don't have to worry about them later. This game is notorious for having an insane Bad/Good luck ratio and 90% of the other Factions you meet in this game are hostile without reason. There's a possibility that our first few jumps out of our own system we could meet a hostile, which could possibly result in a very short game. It's happened like this so far in my other games i played before this one. I'll research jump drives, jump into a new system, and by the 2nd or 3rd system i'll meet a Hostile faction that immediately destroys me within 2 years all because i didn't have any weapons systems done yet.

So just think of it as a precaution, as i don't want this playthrough to die immediately thanks to me meeting a hostile faction right away.)

Rinz McWind sounds like he has his head on straight, straighter then most of our other scientists that is. Sadly he hasn't finished his degree yet, but the Dwarves in our research facilities are all very excited to meet him! (We don't currently have a P/P scientist yet, but the first one we get i'll be sure to make him yours)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2016, 03:28:19 pm »

(I know the game. :D
And I never had such bad luck, unless I had the bugs activated and the motherbug followed me through a JP to Sol. But if you had that misfortune I can understand it, though you probably wouldn't be able to produce an adequate defence force anyway in this case.)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2016, 03:32:05 pm »

(Ah, good, then you most likely know more about it then me  :P and yea, you are right about that defense force, but i'd rather have a small but inadequate one then none at all. Right now i'm just getting base weapon techs, then i'm going to have more focuses into more important tech. It also helps that the game gave me scientists more for combat techs as well.)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2016, 11:28:40 pm »

So, i completely forgot that Staff Officers are a thing, so i'm going to go ahead and make you the commander of the fleet Headquarters, aka you overlook all aspects of our Military, if that's alright with you?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4