Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Entire Bin of gems is claimed by one job  (Read 1443 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entire Bin of gems is claimed by one job
« on: September 26, 2016, 10:44:55 am »

This is a fairly old issue which i'm sure you're all fairly friendly with. Jeweller in workshop (a) can't encrust item with jewels in bin (1) because bin (1) has been claimed so that a worker can put jewels cut in workshop (b) in it. Job gets cancelled or suspended, when there are plenty of indigo tourmalines to go around. How do the rest of you guys cope?
The obvious trick is use no bin and/or run a quantum jewel stockpile, but i don't use quantum stockpiles, they seem a bit cheaty, and i need the extra space using bins yields.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Entire Bin of gems is claimed by one job
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:24:31 am »

I never build more than 1 jeweler's workshop...And honestly? You can probably fit all the gems produced in a fortress in 1 bin - 2 if you use one for cut gems and other for rough ones (so haulers can add gems while your jeweller encrusts).

I haven't played with bins much due that unavailability problem (aaaaa ammo stockpiles coming with bins enabled by default better never produce any so you don't accidentally bin the ammo), but maybe setting container distance reduction to 0 in init settings or using wheelbarrows in a stockpile will prevent haulers from taking the bin out?

Though that might seem cheaty to you, given it would use same or even less space than a quantum stockpile would ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:55:05 am »

Oh... If bins are more or less bugged by the way claiming works what are the current solutions for storage? Just multi Z level stockpiles with no bins enabled?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 11:58:06 am »

Quantum dump stockpile.

Step 1: remove all dump zones

Step 2: create a dump zone where you want all the items to be piled

Step 3: dump items.

Step 4: remove dump zone, and paint appropriate item stockpile underneath items.

Step 5: b-c-r the item pile to reclaim all items dumped.

PROFIT.

(All items will sit on one square, and will count as having been stockpiled.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 12:05:16 pm »

Oh... If bins are more or less bugged by the way claiming works what are the current solutions for storage? Just multi Z level stockpiles with no bins enabled?
Actually, most produced things don't really need to be stockpiled - probably including OP's cut gems.

The jeweller can just use the cut gems inside workshops to encrust, the loom can weave thread from adjacent farmer's workshop, etc.
(Can get same distance with potentially less space by making parts of workshops downward ramps or stairs(esp. in the center)
(Would be shorter path from above if you used obsidianization + digging up/down stairs)
(Shorter path would primarily benefit masons, though.)

Only big things and rotting things need to be taken out of workshops as a rule.

If you do this, you can simulate stockpile linking by using burrows with "restrict workshops to burrow".

That said, I personally use a lot of minecart quantum stockpiles - sometimes just for sorting, even so that I can see what I have at glance :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:10:50 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 12:07:54 pm »

Didn't I see something recently (perhaps originally from less recently, as I've been going through some older stuff too, looking for something else) that says that Toady has fixed a similar type of seedbag weirdness?

Which sounds like a reproducable solution, even if it didn't get fixed by the 'next container-type out' fixing.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »

Why quantum dump?

Just proper quantum stockpile. Bins being bugged are useless for anything.
Build proper quantum stockpile for gems and be done with bins. Not to mention QSP are supposedly good for your fps.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 02:22:54 pm »

Dumping has a high hauling priority. ;)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 02:29:26 pm »

Also, it's the simplest way to get things out of bins.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 02:38:53 pm »

I'm from the opposite camp, where I like seeing my stockpiles grow into unimaginably large piles of glittering wealth. I disable bins and use huge stockpiles, with a centrally located jewelers workshop.

You only need one workshop unless you're encrusting, which is a broken mechanic IMO since you can't decide what gets encrusted. Though, now that I think about it, if you could find some way to deny the jeweler access to the just-encrusted item you would be able to make a process of it. Maybe.

IN ANY CASE, I am aware that my binless storage is not very efficient but it comes with a plus - if you're designing specific windows you can easily tell what colors are available. No need to look up on the wiki what gem is what color. Though it's fun to google image each gem to get an idea of what it really looks like.

The huge, colorful stockpile is also really nice looking, and the value for roleplay is off the charts. Fights within the gem vault almost always end with the two parties flinging gems at one another, resulting in grievous injury. 

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 02:47:56 pm »

I'm from the opposite camp, where I like seeing my stockpiles grow into unimaginably large piles of glittering wealth. I disable bins and use huge stockpiles, with a centrally located jewelers workshop.
Yeah, back in my early days I too liked the idea. Later on other things became important ;)

You only need one workshop unless you're encrusting, which is a broken mechanic IMO since you can't decide what gets encrusted. Though, now that I think about it, if you could find some way to deny the jeweler access to the just-encrusted item you would be able to make a process of it. Maybe.
The fact that this simple functionality is missing from the game is annoying. The only known way around is to 'link' a stockpile with things to encrust to the jeweler workshop.
That way he will only encrust items from the linked stockpile.

The huge, colorful stockpile is also really nice looking, and the value for roleplay is off the charts. Fights within the gem vault almost always end with the two parties flinging gems at one another, resulting in grievous injury.
Huh. That is an interesting concept. What about designing a lead bar stockpile as a battle field? :)
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 03:40:19 pm »

Dwarves would probably take most advantage of a minecart stockpile, tbh, given their natural bonus to dodge those and them using mining skill to hit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 07:41:31 pm »

Dwarves would probably take most advantage of a minecart stockpile, tbh, given their natural bonus to dodge those and them using mining skill to hit.
Wait, what? Isn't it misc object user / thrower?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 12:41:11 am »

Maybe thrower to throw them, but minecarts/wheelbarrows use the mining skill to hit with them.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 05:09:32 am »

Actually, most produced things don't really need to be stockpiled - probably including OP's cut gems.

The jeweller can just use the cut gems inside workshops to encrust
This is the problem with encrusting, you can't choose properly what to encrust, which is why you need to use stockpiles. And still it requires a lot of micromanagement because you might and usually do end up with a single object encrusted with everything. Otherwise, you can check on items constantly and forbid them when they reach the value you're looking for.
Pages: [1] 2