Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Forest: A deforestation survival simulator  (Read 1540 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
The Forest: A deforestation survival simulator
« on: September 25, 2016, 08:28:30 pm »

I looked through the board for this game and didn't find any for it but to be fair I didn't search past 5 pages of search, so I decided to just make my own.

This little survival game I bought a long time ago and missed quite a few patches until a friend got me back into it recently and I'm getting back into it in a serious way.

For those who haven't played it, imagine Castaway with ravenous cannibals instead of soccer balls.
My friend Tim and I decided to survive the cannibals by creating Outer Heaven, our wondrous off-shore complex made out of wood. It took an extravagant amount of trees to create, and to even get enough logs out to the site took 2 houseboats with log carriers loaded everywhere we could fit on them. It's 2 large platforms in a giant circle with a cabin in the center and smaller platforms branching off the ring, each one carrying either a drying rack so we can store meat or with small gardens growing whatever seeds we could get. The ring is lined with water catchers every few feet for water.

I feel justifiably proud of our water fortress and felt a little like gushing.
More seriously I just wanted to see if anyone else is playing this nice indie survival game and would like to hear about anyone else's creative ways of outsmarting the natives.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 08:40:28 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forest: A deforestation survival simulator
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:02:53 pm »

Wilson was a volleyball, you uncultured swine!

Anyways, I've had the Forest for quite some time actually.  ...the problem is, even after getting a new rig, I still don't have a computer capable of actually playing the damn thing. Slight buzzkill.

I've been following the game and watching other people play it for some time... Since the era of the glitchy infinite flare gun of doom, and when the only things you could build were a lean-to and a few traps.

Also back before multiplayer was implemented. I remember seeing that on their "to do" list and thinking "Hah, nah, that'll never get around to happening...", and then two weeks later they had a functional prototype up and running. Always fun when you get positively surprised by early access.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: The Forest: A deforestation survival simulator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 09:34:04 pm »

It's pretty fun, and surprisingly beautiful for an early access game. The graphics are top notch. I haven't played it in about a year and a half or so though, so I assume a ton has been added since then. Either way, it was fun at the time and I'm sure it's still good. I would recommend it, even just for the fact that it's not a shitty voxel minecraft clone. Pick it up if it goes on sale or something, and get some friends to play with, it's better with multiplayer.