Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Humans in the fortress  (Read 1683 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Humans in the fortress
« on: September 25, 2016, 04:58:16 pm »

Humans can now show up and ask to stay at your fort, and military type humans can be placed in squads. What to do about clothing? My fortress isn't actually near any human civilizations, so none show up to trade. I can't produce large clothing. Are humans who join my fort simply destined to go around nude after a while?

What about squads and uniforms? I can't produce large armor, either. Are humans actually as useless and prone to problems as they appear?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Humans in the fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 05:04:04 pm »

You can produce large armour etc. Press d for details (or maybe D, I forget) in the workshop.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:15:33 am »

As Shonai_Dweller said, workshop orders now have 'd'etails where you can specify the species you want the production to be for (for clothing and armor; when it comes to other things 'd'etails specify material to use and suchlike).
Beware though, that when I set a human to forge unspecified armor I ended up with human size ones, not dwarf sized ones as I had expected, so unspecified orders seem to produce whatever size the worker happens to be rather than default to dwarf.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 04:19:58 am »

As Shonai_Dweller said, workshop orders now have 'd'etails where you can specify the species you want the production to be for (for clothing and armor; when it comes to other things 'd'etails specify material to use and suchlike).
Beware though, that when I set a human to forge unspecified armor I ended up with human size ones, not dwarf sized ones as I had expected, so unspecified orders seem to produce whatever size the worker happens to be rather than default to dwarf.
Each specie forges or crafts armor and clothes that are of their size.
This is actually good thing - you dont have to specify 'd'etails every time, instead you can have your human to craft clothes for the other humans.
Of course, no ingame info about that was available, so it was a surprise for people.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 05:19:44 am »

This is actually good thing - you dont have to specify 'd'etails every time, instead you can have your human to craft clothes for the other humans.
Of course, no ingame info about that was available, so it was a surprise for people.

Well, its a good thing if you have lots of humans who you can assign to labours, but for those who don't the "d"etails function is awfully useful.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:48:16 am »

It also results in surprises when you have more than one clothier/smith sharing workshops. It means you either will have to 'd'etail all jobs to make sure you get what you want, or dedicate workshops to individuals of specific races and place orders in shops separately.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 08:17:11 am »

Which is what I do most of the time.

I happen to have an awful lot of foreign visitors. Dozens of artists, tens of scholars and mercs.
Usually human/succubi/orcs but in my recent game elves managed to avoid extermination so now it's the elves.

I agree - 'd' function if great addition that was sorely missing from previous versions.
I just wish we could 'P'rofile workshops to work with given material or produce given size permanently instead of having to use 'd' every time :)
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 08:57:30 am »

You could also always forge armor for inbetween dwarf/elf/goblin and human sizes: For instance, hyena and cougar man at 65k. Just tested with first and dwarf put on such copper breastplate fine (though it weighed 20 urists instead of the normal 19)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:59:30 am by Fleeting Frames »

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 01:40:30 pm »

does this mean you could make lighter armor for the dorfs by setting armor size to an animal man with size close to the minimum for dorf size?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 02:04:00 pm »

Sure - looking at wiki, I think Emu man would be smallest you could use at 52500, which would translate to 12,5% weight reduction - but I'm not sure if weight affects armour defensive properties. So which way you want to go would depend on how momentum works, I think.

This could also be useful for werebeasts, perhaps.

Other fun ideas: Make 100 copper sperm whale man breastplates, store all in 10 bins, store 10 bins inside 1 minecart, hit enemies with the force of over a thousand boulders.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:10:28 pm by Fleeting Frames »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 02:06:27 pm »

Wow, thanks everyone, I had briefly looked at 'd'etails for crafting statues of deities for temples but had no idea one could use this feature to make large items. Very nice!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 07:07:18 pm »

I just wish we could 'P'rofile workshops to work with given material or produce given size permanently instead of having to use 'd' every time :)
Well, you can link stockpiles and assign a specific (e.g., human) worker to the task.

Otherwise, you can create a work order with job details if you're going to be making a lot of the same item.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 07:20:26 pm »

can you make exotic weapons now too?

mastercrafted lightsabers sound pretty appealing.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 10:10:27 pm »

can you make exotic weapons now too?

mastercrafted lightsabers sound pretty appealing.
I don't think the reactions are there.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 11:12:33 pm »

if the size value is being populated by race, and we have labor enabled humans, humans have the correct reactions, right?

if  a human is manning the forge, do we get different options??

Pages: [1] 2