Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterfall happiness bonus  (Read 584 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterfall happiness bonus
« on: September 15, 2006, 02:57:00 am »

I've noticed that dwarves become happy from watching waterfalls.  Has anyone else tried designing parts of their fortress to take advantage of this?

I placed a table near a waterfall and turned it into a meeting hall, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried to use them in any other ways.  (Making the meeting hall with a well would probably be a bad idea, since wells near water tend to have snakemen springing out of them more often.)

And how much of a risk do waterfalls themselves pose?  I've never noticed ambushes or floods coming out of waterfall squares specifically, but you have to be careful not to touch the water when digging to the waterfall...

On the other hand, guards tend to hang out in meeting halls more than anyone else, so even if you touch the water and get ambushes they can probably handle them.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: Waterfall happiness bonus
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 10:06:00 am »

I've had plenty of ambushes from waterfalls before. When I first started playing for a while I thought snakemen actually came from the waterfalls themselves, because that's where I always saw them around.

It's cool to know that there's actually an advantage to it. I wonder if dwarves can see waterfalls through windows and get happiness from it. I also wonder if snakemen can burst through windows, though...

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »

what happens if you dig out the walls around a water fall?

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 05:04:00 pm »

Nothing that wouldn't happen normally from digging out the walls of the cave river. I had a few instances where rooms flooded even though their only access to the cave river was the tail end of a waterfall. I had to install two floodgates (then a door to make it look better) to keep the water from coming into my workshop area.

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 05:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bbb:
<STRONG>what happens if you dig out the walls around a water fall?</STRONG>

You get a waterfall you can walk around. Also when it floods the area around the waterfall flood.