Poll

A or B?

A
- 2 (22.2%)
B
- 7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30

Author Topic: You are an Independent Scientist! (Nov 12, 2016)  (Read 36727 times)

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Independent Scientist!
« Reply #330 on: January 12, 2017, 04:42:54 am »

+1 to nytroglicerin caltrops

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 14, 2017, 07:04:04 pm »

PTW
Discord: Liberonscien#0930

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2017, 11:57:03 pm »

November 3rd, 2016

Today was quite an active one. Your mind was racing from dawn to dusk with many different potential plans of actions for the following day, and you were quite busy preparing for some of these plans as well.

After you get out of your makeshift bed, you get to work analyzing more of the data you acquired yesterday. You're specifically interested in the route of the truck delivering the art. Apparently the art is being brought into the city initially by a freighter just arriving at the docks. It's planned on being unloaded onto the waiting truck at around 11 AM. The truck will then bring the art to the museum. A fairly simple route, but what you're looking for is the perfect place to strike. The striking position needs to be at least somewhat secluded but also allowing for your quick getaway from the scene.
It takes a while, but you finally find it. Apparently the truck was originally planned to travel on a more central road in part of its trip, but the schedule change that you caused threw a wrench into Peaceforce's plans. Busier traffic tomorrow is going to force the truck to take a very secluded road to still make its estimated delivery time. The road is just outside the city, and apparently almost a secret - the city hasn't bothered updating its maps to include the road  as it was part of a canceled construction project before being forgotten by all but Peaceforce and probably a few other people. It's a dirt road but still connects to multiple major roads (through some alleyways, primarily) and is fairly short, allowing you to quickly get back into the primary roads quickly. They estimate that the truck will be traversing this road anywhere from 11:30 AM to 1 PM; probably for around 10 minutes.

You also look into the possibility of using your buggy to get to and from this location while you're at it. Since your buggy will not be allowed on any actual road, you end up finding a basic route that would take 3 hours to get to and from the site through alleys and similar areas with your buggy at its 15 mph.

Finished with your terminal for now, you decide to do some more physical preparations for the upcoming heist. First up is hollow metal caltrops. Making these proves to be extremely time consuming as you have to very strategically break apart some more brittle pieces and re-attach them and spent plenty of time trying to reshape other pieces. Metalworking is hard without metalworking equipment, apparently. Nevertheless, you end up with 3x Crude Hollow Caltrops. At the cost of 5x Scrap Metal, sadly.

But now you can work on something actually fun: An injection crossbow! The basic plan is to create a crude crossbow that fires darts filled with knockout venom.
You were going to try to make it able to penetrate glass, but you feel that being strong enough to break glass but to hit someone without severely injuring them are mutually exclusive traits. So no glass penetration, sadly. You spent a while working on it after spending $30 on some materials and taking the remaining 2x Scrap Metal for it.
The end result is... okay. You suppose. You managed to give it a decent range - enough that it definitely won't be a problem for any reasonable usage as long as you're not trying to use it as a sniper. And even if range wasn't a problem, you've found it to be somewhat inaccurate as well. Close-range should be fine but anything else is just a matter of pure luck. And finally, you don't think you can use standard darts bought online or at a store for it and will need to make your own darts to use with the crossbow. But hey, now you have an Injector Crossbow.

The buggy seems to be begging for improvement now. You want to be able to use it for the heist, but its speed and carry capacity are a problem.
Unfortunately, it's not a problem that will be easy to fix. The capacity improvement requires plenty of materials as it can't even carry anything at the moment. Speed is less of an issue, but still hard to accomplish.

You decide to spend $60 on materials to add to its carrying capacity to start off with. The end result is serviceable but still underwhelming. Now the buggy has a 1mx1m open-bed carrying capacity with some slight walling to keep items from falling out.
Next up is speed.  You decide you can essentially superpower the engine using some tweaks. Power usage will be way up, but you have an idea on how to solve that. Ultimately, you get a stable top speed of 40 mph. Great for a makeshift buggy such as yours, and it would be fit for the city roads if you weren't immediately pulled over for trying to drive this in the city roads. But using your prior buggy route you got for the heist, you estimate you can get to and from the planned heist site in a bit over an hour.
And finally, you've switched out the power source to instead use a good-ol' Energ-E MK4 fuel cell. This should facilitate the tweaked engine and allow for 36 hours of continued usage.

You take a break from heist preparation to explore the possibility of other projects. The one you're considering at the moment is a sort of battery backpack to be used for powering multiple creations of yours at once. This by itself would be pretty simple. Some modular plugs and stable containment and power routing is child's play. But wireless power transmission is much more of a problem and wouldn't be done easily. You feel that it's definitely possible, though.

Back to the heist! Actually, the only thing you have left on your list is the purchase of some gloves. Which you easily do at the cost of $10. Say hello to your new pair of black gloves!

A truck delivering $10,000 worth of art is scheduled to arrive at the Center of Art on Nov. 4th. The truck will be traversing a secluded road for 10 minutes as part of its route. It would take 1 hour and 8 minutes to travel to this site by buggy.
You got $36 today working at your part-time job.
You harvested 2 ml of venom, turned it into lasting venom, then sold it for $60.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)
Makeshift Data Terminal
Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:31:43 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 16, 2017, 12:16:53 am »

Happy new year, or at least it's been since the last update.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 16, 2017, 10:32:47 am »

Note to self: acquire metalworking equipment when this is done.

Well great. We have... 3 caltrops. Stopping the truck may be an issue.

Suddenly exploding caltrops seem like a much better idea.

Okay. Last minute preparations: use our dynamite(if we don't have enough for this, make more) to turn the caltrops into exploding caltrops. Presumably each of those will be enough to take out a tire entirely.

Use our scrap metal to create some darts for our crossbow, fill said darts with knockout venom.

Rig up our aerial drone to be able to carry individual caltrops and drop them, if it couldn't already.

Then get to the heist. Wear the baggy clothing, raccoon mask, and black gloves. Bring the crossbow+darts, shock baton, buggy(we'll be riding in it), our aerial drone, the caltrops, the thermite, the jammer, and anything else the Bay 12 collective thinks we should bring.

((Do note I'm expecting a "mini-turn" for the actual heist.))
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 16, 2017, 10:39:07 am »

Okay. Last minute preparations: use our dynamite(if we don't have enough for this, make more) to turn the caltrops into exploding caltrops. Presumably each of those will be enough to take out a tire entirely.

Use our scrap metal to create some darts for our crossbow, fill said darts with knockout venom.

Rig up our aerial drone to be able to carry individual caltrops and drop them, if it couldn't already.

Then get to the heist. Wear the baggy clothing, raccoon mask, and black gloves. Bring the crossbow+darts, shock baton, buggy(we'll be riding in it), our aerial drone, the caltrops, the thermite, the jammer, and anything else the Bay 12 collective thinks we should bring.

+1

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 16, 2017, 01:16:36 pm »

+1
+1

we might also want to look into making exploding darts after the heist, since that'll give us some more versatility.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 16, 2017, 01:48:16 pm »

I feel like using explosives might push us up a notch on the crime-severity charts. For some reason the government frowns on individuals using them to attack others? Something something terrorism?
If we feel like the caltrops aren't enough (and I think they probably are), we can just make 3 more sets. Six sets of caltrops will surely be enough, without resorting to drastic measures. If it takes the truck a few minutes to stop, that's fine, we can just chase after it in our buggy.

The only real problem now is our lack of power. We need at least two batteries; one for the buggy, and one for the 'Wireless Jamming Device'. I have a solution for this; we use the 'Hydrogen Fuel Cell MK3 w/ Wheels' to power the WJD. We simply need to leave a little earlier, hook the MK3 with WJD to the buggy, drag it into place, and wait for the truck.

We should call in sick to work tomorrow- we don't have time to deal with a 'real job', we have SCIENCE to do.

With preparations out of the way, our plan for the heist should look something like this:

9:00- Leave the garage on the buggy, with the MK3-mounted WJD in tow. I'm going to assume that dragging the MK3 halves our top speed, doubling travel time
11:15(ish)- Arrive at the secluded street.
11:20- set up caltrops about 2 minutes from the start of the street. We don't want to set them up at the start, someone might see the truck hit them.
11:30 to 13:00- wait out of sight for the truck
Truck+0- Truck hits the Caltrops. The WJD prevents the occupants from calling for help.
Truck+5(I guess?)- Truck comes to complete stop.
Truck+6- We arrive at the truck. The driver and guard step out of the truck. We shoot them with the injector crossbow. Again, the WJD prevents them from calling for help.
Truck+7- We either steal the key, or destroy the padlock with thermite.
Truck+8- We choose the most valuable looking art that we can fit in our buggy and load it up.
Truck+13- We finish loading up, and flee the scene.
Between 14:00 and 15:30- arrive back at the garage. Nothing has gone wrong*
Long Live United Forenia!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 16, 2017, 03:16:27 pm »

I oppose explosives for noise reasons.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 16, 2017, 11:52:17 pm »

11:30 PM to 1 PM; probably for around 10 minutes.
@Chiefwaffles While some of us might be happy to have a 14 hour wait, to look at the trees or something.  To be serious, I think we get what you're saying, but the typo bugs me a bit. 

Concerning the exploding caltrops: the capacity of explosive material is likely to be too small to be considerably useful.  Considering all legal aspects, they'd probably think they ran over a firecracker, and a set of nails lost from someone's pickup truck.  If we used significant amounts of dynamite, then yes, we'd have to worry about an interstate manhunt.  It's not something we'll need to worry about. 

Other than that, all the plans seem sound.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 17, 2017, 07:56:46 am »

I feel like having a drone drop caltrops full of dynamite might be. . . counterproductive. Dynamite tends to explode pretty easily, and if they explode on impact with the ground, everything will be wasted. I think we should just find a way to safely put them there ourselves.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 17, 2017, 04:25:44 pm »

I feel like having a drone drop caltrops full of dynamite might be. . . counterproductive. Dynamite tends to explode pretty easily, and if they explode on impact with the ground, everything will be wasted. I think we should just find a way to safely put them there ourselves.
Dynamite actually isn't that sensitive. The nitroglycerin that went into making it was extremely sensitive, but when it's in the form of Dynamite, it's quite stable.
However, I do agree with doing away with a drone drop, as it simply adds one more possible step for things to go wrong. This is definitely something we don't want going wrong.
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 17, 2017, 04:27:50 pm »

How would you suggest we do it otherwise?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 17, 2017, 05:29:21 pm »

Walk across the street in front of the truck and drop them?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 19, 2017, 06:24:01 pm »

Don't pack them with anything.  I believe someone wanted them hollow to allow the tires to vent faster.  Having them explode seems like a bad idea, and I don't think it'll be effective in such small dosages. 

We place/thrown caltrops on a the road in the tire ruts. 

We wait along the road, crossbow at the ready, and fire up the jammer. 

Shoot the driver and guard at close range as they get out to inspect the damage.

Steal keys and unlock the trucks rear. 

Use whatever equipment we have with us to take what we want, and then GTFO.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30