Poll

A or B?

A
- 2 (22.2%)
B
- 7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30

Author Topic: You are an Independent Scientist! (Nov 12, 2016)  (Read 36738 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Independent Scientist!
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2016, 08:02:22 pm »

But, but... If we don't apply chemicals to insects for the benefit of scorpions, how will we introduce the scorpions to the concept of chemistry? Oh well, in the mean time, kill the insects before giving them to Nineteen, they can be our sceptic, and paint some wax armour onto the insects before giving them to Eighty-four, they can be our conspiracy theorist.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2016, 08:13:30 pm »

But, but... If we don't apply chemicals to insects for the benefit of scorpions, how will we introduce the scorpions to the concept of chemistry? Oh well, in the mean time, kill the insects before giving them to Nineteen, they can be our sceptic, and paint some wax armour onto the insects before giving them to Eighty-four, they can be our conspiracy theorist.
Yessss...I can imagine that your childhood must have been full of dead hamsters...
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2016, 08:27:06 pm »

Build a buggy. Essentially a soapbox racer made out of metal, and driven by batteries. In addition, put in a data entry on the medical chem.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2016, 04:16:30 am »

Contemplate
Have a wonderful day

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2016, 07:15:44 pm »

You contemplate life.
It's very contemplative.
You can't really think of much to be contemplative of, really.

You head over to a vacant parking lot with your totally suspicious butane cannon. You load a single ammonia grenade, aim, and fire. It hits the ground 37 meters away and shatters on impact. The remnants of the cardboard container fall to the ground in front of you. You put on your goggles and carefully approach the impact site. You smell ammonia immediately, but that's to be expected. You edge closer until you deem it unsafe and walk back. After some quick measurements, it looks like the grenade has an effective "blast" radius of 28 meters in diameter. Not too bad.

On the way back to the garage, you buy a cheap $50 go phone. You also think about what you'd need to make a buggy. You can make the exterior and most of it with the rest of your scrap metal. Motors are something that you want to try making yourself (and you probably could), but you decide not to risk it. There's also the tires, but that's simple. But you can use some scrap electronics to improve cheaper motors to the point of being fit for your little buggy thing. Batteries are the main killer here. You're sure you could make them, but that's its completely own project. For now, you spend a whopping $100 on a big enough battery. But you console yourself in the fact that if you could reuse it if you were willing to deconstruct the buggy. You spend $35 on the other parts; the biggest expense being the wiring.

Back "home", you quickly improve the computer with the go phone internals. It's definitely a step up, but go phones still aren't exactly known for their competitive speed. You get to the buggy. You use 3 scrap metal and 1 scrap electronic along with the materials you just bought and get to work!
And the result is interesting. You managed to wire it and create the buggy in such a way that it can drive for a long time. It can drive at around 15 mph, it's low to the ground, simplistic, would get obliterated by any kind of collision with something resembling an actual vehicle, and is probably not legal to drive on the roads. As for the actual longevity, normal logic would say it'd last about half an hour between charges. Thanks to your genius, it lasts 2 1/2 hours. Regardless, you now have a Buggy!

You spend the rest of the day painting wax armor onto live insects for some reasons. The scorpions don't seem to care. While doing this, you think about the names of some of your inventions, and specifically how completely awful a few of them. Good thing you can rename your creations.

You harvested 2 ml of Venom today. Once again, you leave it in storage. 1 ml of Venom expired today as well.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)
Makeshift Data Terminal
Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:33:53 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2016, 07:32:48 pm »

You accidentally typed 435 instead of $35 I think

Ask the gang second-in-command if there's anything in particular he would want
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2016, 07:34:31 pm »

Go to the gang and offer to sell the butane cannon, the SPCAAD Ammonia Grenades and the microwave gun (rename it to Handheld Microwave Jammer and tell him that he can connect it to a car lighter via an inverter).
Ask if he'd like you to look into incendiary grenades.

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2016, 08:37:30 pm »

Go to the gang and offer to sell the butane cannon, the SPCAAD Ammonia Grenades and the microwave gun (rename it to Handheld Microwave Jammer and tell him that he can connect it to a car lighter via an inverter).

+1
Lets try makeing a proper jammer from a microwave.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2016, 08:55:11 am »

Sell some scrap metal/electronics.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2016, 09:23:00 am »

+1
Lets try makeing a proper jammer from a microwave.
+1
Connect a charger and an inverter to the buggy's battery and put them in a box together with all the microwave's electronics except for the magnetron; fix a metal bar to the top of the box as a stand for the antenna.
Fix the magnetron inside a conical metal cup, with the emitter pointing out. Line a satellite dish with thoroughly smoothed aluminium foil and place the magnetron the tiniest bit closer than its focal point (calculate the geometry so it won't be a completely parallel beam and has some dispersion), attached with three rods. Wire the magnetron to the controller. Put a pistol-type grip and a ball-and-cup attachment point for the stand behind the antenna.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:59:09 am by Maegil »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2016, 01:47:38 pm »

The "Microwave Gun"? Psshaw. It's the "Handheld Microwave Jammer" now! Much cooler. But it has its design flaws. Like the part where it's a gun and the part where you have to aim it at things to jam it. And how you have to plug in a gun. Not great.

And that's why you're going to make a better version! You find another old functional microwave at the dump, and get to work. Without any scrap metal, you spend $20 on material for the casing and some other components. You take it the battery from the buggy, rendering it nonfunctional for the time being. You head to the store to buy some aluminum foil as well as a cheap satellite dish for $25. Once these materials are all brought back, you start working on everything.

Eventually, you end up with the Microwave Area Jammer.  It's not particularly effective. You don't know why, but it has an extremely short range - 5 meters from the dish. Other than that, it works fine. The area that's actually affected is jammed as expected. Electronics still work of course, but most wireless-related things cease function. The device itself is about 50 centimeters in length and is cube-shaped with the satellite dish sticking out of the top. Battery time is also pretty poor. For some reason, you're getting two hours of jamming on a single charge.

With the time left in the day, you decide to arrange a meeting with the gang second-in-command.
He's impressed by the assortment of creations you brought with you. When you present each individual item - the Ammonia Grenades, Handheld Microwave Jammer, and Butane Cannon. He tells you that he can spend $300 for everything, and you agree with the conditions. After informing you that he can't spend too much in his current role, he says he won't need incendiary or ammonia grenades for the time being. But he also tells you that he could use something in particular to deal with the current leader of the gang. His request is... interesting.
He wants something to efficiently and quickly kill the gang leader, but that also does so in an extremely intimidating - perhaps even horrifying - way. "Something mechanical, maybe?" is also something he mentions.
...You tell him that you'll think about it.

You can't find any place that buys scrap materials, sadly. Well, unless you feel like selling scraps for 5 cents a piece at the local recycling center.

You harvested 2 ml of Venom today. Like yesterday, you just leave it in storage. 1 ml of Venom expired today again too.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)
Makeshift Data Terminal
Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 01:51:17 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2016, 01:55:34 pm »

Lets Work on making a Gatling Gun out of Pipes for the guy, One We could Load with Nails.
Or perhaps a Chainsaw Flamethrower Combo, That Could be Very intimidating.

Things to Do in General: Salvage a Fire Extinguisher or other Tank, And Look for Moderately undamaged Computers.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2016, 02:23:28 pm »

Build the "QuadChopper"

Get a quadcopter DIY kit capable of carrying at least an extra 2.5 kg, a WIFI camera, one smaller motor, and two long electric carving knifes.

Assemble the quadcopter positioning the arms in a way that the front is as clear as possible, install the camera and set your cell phone to display the image.
Bolt the back of the knifes' handles below the back of the copter in a way that the blades stick out the front and can swing sideways; align the blades and grind the tips into a single sharp point.
Use the extra motor and some scrap to make a mechanism on the front of the QuadChopper to move both handles simultaneously like scissors; connect a trigger mechanism at the front of the QuadChopper to the knives and scissoring motor. Set an RC trigger to the motor to rewind the blades so it can be reused without need of manual rearming.

Operation: Fly the QuadChopper at full speed at a target using the video to guide it. Impale the target with the blades; when they penetrate the body the switch gets triggered by the impact, activates the knives and moves them outwards, cutting the body in half.

Test the QuadChopper on a stray dog in a back alley; see how well it cuts through the dog. Fly the QuadChopper away and land it somewhere safe while you dispose of the body.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:39:16 pm by Maegil »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2016, 03:07:56 pm »

Jesus.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2016, 03:21:40 pm »

He wants something to efficiently and quickly kill the gang leader, but that also does so in an extremely intimidating - perhaps even horrifying - way. "Something mechanical, maybe?" is also something he mentions.
extremely intimidating - perhaps even horrifying
horrifying
Jesus.
All according to the client's specifications...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:23:42 pm by Maegil »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30