Poll

A or B?

A
- 2 (22.2%)
B
- 7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: You are an Independent Scientist! (Nov 12, 2016)  (Read 36707 times)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Independent Scientist!
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2016, 07:13:22 pm »

((I don't mind being more specific for mundane things, but I won't post here how to produce the explosive trichloramine from household cleaning products. Likewise, sooner or later someone in Bay12 is going to mention reasonably cheap RC cars or quadcopters and their broad range of applications; again, people should refrain from explaining the steps necessary to turn an RC toy into, er, that thing. 'Nuff said.))

((The ring was a gift to prove our bona fide as a mad scientist.))
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2016, 07:43:32 pm »

After the poison has expired, go back to the gang lieutenant and ask if he used the ring, and if it worked to his satisfaction. Ask him if he'd like poison bullets; if so, ask for a gun (to be returned) and some bullets for you to experiment with. Negotiate a price for the poison bullets.
If he gives us the gun and bullets, drill the tips, fill them up with kitchen oil and seal them with paraffin wax, signet wax, contact glue, molten plastic, epoxy glue, soap, etc., and wrap them in a paper napkin to see if they don't leak if left upside down overnight.
Shoot the bullets at a sheaf of paper (with a metal plate stopper behind) and see if the paper is well stained with oil or the seal disintegrated and the oil was centrifuged out before hitting the target.
Choose one of the seals that passed both tests and make more bullets, this time with the poison.
Find a stray dog in an alley far away from home and wound it (for !!SCIENCE!!), to test if the heat doesn't spoil the poison. Throw the body in a garbage bin or under a pile of rubbish.
Sell the rest to the gang. Arrange more deliveries.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:23:36 pm by Maegil »

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2016, 09:01:42 pm »

Why would anyone need to poison a bullet? if you've got a gun shoot them not hope that poison kills them.
String together the computer bits onto an old TV display, for a data terminal.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2016, 10:20:34 pm »

Attempt to identify why the venom is deteriorating. Start with research and if that fails look into distilling the venom into component parts are then determining which ones denature the fastest.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2016, 10:41:13 pm »

Using a combination of your natural ingenuity and, well, just that actually, you create a data terminal. With the computer parts you found earlier, an old TV screen you found doing some good ol' dumpster diving, and a jury-rigged CPU, you made a data terminal. And a bit of the scrap and electronic parts gathered earlier.
It doesn't really do anything at this point. It's slow, can't connect to the internet, and only serves to accept and store data. But you can always upgrade it or program new things onto it. For now, you should probably think of a use for it though.
Structure Created: Makeshift Data Terminal
Items used: 3x Old Computer Parts, 1x Small Scrap, 1x Broken Circuit Board

You contact the lieutenant. Meeting in what may be the most stereotypical alleyway you've ever seen, he explains to you his new status as second-in-command. You're informed that he doesn't want to move up too quickly to keep suspicion low. You ask him about any possible need for poison bullets. He says that no, that wouldn't be helpful. He either needs discrete weapons or intimidating weapons - anything in between simply doesn't work. If you're already shooting someone, you don't really need to wait for the poison to kick in, after all.
However, he still gives you a Glock and two 17-round magazines to show his appreciation, telling you that you can keep them.

You first buy a drill for $30 and spend $20 on various materials to seal the bullets with as well as just enough kitchen oil for testing. You drill four bullets, fill each up with oil, then seal them with a different material. You set up a temporary target using 1 piece of small scrap metal and get to work testing each bullet. You determine that molten wax is a suitable candidate. You then fill each bullet with 1 ml of venom that was just extracted today.
Item Created: 2x Venom Bullet
Items used: 2 ml Scorpion Venom, 2 Bullets (+4 in testing)

Time to get into the fun part of science: testing. You find a stray dog, take it to a subtle location, and shoot it in a spot that should only wound it. Within ten minutes, the dog succumbs to the venom. Satisfied with your results, you dispose of the corpse. You now have a single remaining venom bullet. You could probably make more, but as of now you don't have any potential buyers. Time to go to the library to do some other research.
It looks like the venom simply just spoils. The easiest way to deal with this would be refrigeration, but you're a mad independent scientist. The easiest way is just a stepping stone to you!

You turn your attention back to the Gangsta-Venom Ring. Particularly, manufacturing. While you probably could turn scrap metal into a ring, the ring would be rather dull and you definitely do not have the (expensive) proper tools to do so. Maybe you could make a very crude "ring", but it's be exactly that - an extremely crude item that vaguely resembles a ring. In other news, you were able to offload the vial of venom that you had extracted a day or two ago for $40. But the venom harvested today went towards the two venom bullets.

Nineteen and Eighty-Four need to be fed soon.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Forgot to add spoil date to Venom Bullet.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:50:52 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2016, 11:57:29 pm »

Experiment with various forms of preservation of venom. Pickling, jams, jellies, oils, salting, crystallisation, desiccation, vacuum-sealing...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2016, 01:06:13 am »

Lets Research some of the local flora that grows around our area to cultivate:
Flora that we are most interested in:
  • Suitable food sources for our scorpions.
  • Poisonous for added lethality and inability for hospitals to identify poison quickly.
  • Herbs that treat for poisons of our scorpions and additional plants incase of emergency.
  • Money making plants.
  • Any that overlap without degrading primary uses.
Any that are available lets begin growing, we can domesticate them later.
Have a wonderful day

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2016, 02:11:02 am »

Also, we should probably look into producing antivenom, you know, in case we ever need it...
Read the First Post!

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2016, 02:26:32 am »

Buy a lightbulb and a small battery and make a glass jar with scrap glass lying around and our welder. Put them outside in the dark to attract moths who we can feed to the scorpions.

((You are probably blacklisted now!  :P))

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2016, 03:17:04 am »

Buy a roach motel and tweezers to gather pray for the scorpions - it'll avoid having to buy food for them for quite a while.

As for something more discrete or intimidating than poison bullets, please vote on a project: we can make them a poison dart launcher in an umbrella or equipped on a RC vehicle. On the intimidating side, how about a butane grenade launcher? They could use real grenades, ammonia bombs that'd prevent everyone in the area from doing anything but run away with their eyes closed as fast as they can, or even throw incendiaries like napalm.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:05:56 pm by Maegil »

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2016, 08:05:01 am »

Go to dump to try find microwave

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2016, 03:49:21 pm »

(Do we own the house the garage is in, or do we just own it itself?)
Buy a shovel, and draw out the plans for an underground storage room. So you don't have an assasin-grade poison farm in your garage.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2016, 04:05:02 pm »

(Do we own the house the garage is in, or do we just own it itself?)

Neither, I think we're just squatting in it.

As for Maegil's proposals, I'd go with the more discreet options.
That being said, the grenade launcher is also a good option.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2016, 04:38:51 pm »

Toilet cleaner + aluminium foil = explosion.

Just saying,
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2016, 05:10:55 pm »

Toilet cleaner + aluminium foil = explosion.

Just saying,
((Sounds weaksauce, but it might do as a detonator. If I'm wrong, PM me the energy formulas or something proving it better and I'll gladly agree.))

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30