Poll

A or B?

A
- 2 (22.2%)
B
- 7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: You are an Independent Scientist! (Nov 12, 2016)  (Read 36706 times)

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Independent Scientist!
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2016, 07:58:33 pm »

Develop a script creator program for the terminal.

Right. That bullet is going to expire soon. How about we take the venom out of it, and use the chemistry equipment to determine why exactly it's expiring, and see if we can figure out a way to slow the process?
+1 indeed.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2016, 08:09:00 pm »

Develop a script creator program for the terminal.

Right. That bullet is going to expire soon. How about we take the venom out of it, and use the chemistry equipment to determine why exactly it's expiring, and see if we can figure out a way to slow the process?
+1 indeed.
+1
Attempt to evaporate/freeze dry it into powder putting the sample over/under a Peltier heat pump from a USB mini freezer. Vacuum bag it (will need a vacuum pump and a thermal plastic sealer) into ten little samples and try pouring one bag of powder a day on a living opened cockroach.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:23:50 pm by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2016, 11:05:58 pm »

Time to do some real work on your Butane Cannon. First is a shop to the local store, where you buy $145 worth of supplies. If all goes well, you should also have some stuff leftover. Specifically the protective work gear (Boots, Gloves, Painter's Equipment, Goggles, Respirator), brush, black paint, and about 8 feet of fiberglass cloth.

With the supplies ready, you get to work. After about an hour of a carefully planned procedure, you admire the result and even do some testing with some fairly light objects. The Butane Cannon (which is its new name) can reliably fire a projectile roughly 30 meters, give or take a few, away. Satisfied, you put away the equipment and the cannon to focus on other projects. Specifically, the data terminal.

The data terminal could theoretically be used to program things, but it needs two things for that to happen. Well, the first thing actually involves using any code externally, but it still applies. Thing number one is an external connection - even a USB port could work. You could try to create a USB port from scratch and wire it to the motherboard, but that's an ordeal by itself. So you decide you can just skip that step by finding a USB connector board that fits with your motherboard. You don't doubt that you could do without, you just don't particularly want to re-invent the wheel right now. Thing number two is the actual processing power of the computer. Ultimately, you decide to address this later, but you still need to do that. It's capable of programming, but pretty soon it'll be too slow for it to be useful.
You figure that either buying new computer parts and refitting the terminal could work, but that'd be pretty expensive - in the area of multiple hundreds of dollars. You could afford it, sure, but you're not sure it's the best idea. The next option is to simply scavenge some computer and electronic parts and jury-rig yourself better internals. Somehow. You don't know how you use a broken motherboard to make a processor faster, but you really try not to think too hard about it.

You end up spending $40 on a USB board for your Data Terminal. When admiring your fancy new 3 USB 3.1 Type-C ports, you realize the importance of the data terminal and decide to keep better track of it. If you end up deciding to abandon it for something else entirely, you can always just forget about it if you need to. You finish up creating the scripting/programing application and conclude the data terminal's improvements for today.

Now to experiment with venom! You harvest the venom for today, getting a total of 3 ml of venom. You find a Peltier Heat Pump for $15 and buy it. Then you get to work.  After plenty of CHEMISTRY, you think you're getting closer to the cause behind the expiration. At first glance, it looks like natural decomposition. It's at this point that you decide you need some more supplies. You go out to another convenient chemistry-supply store and buy a set of Basic Chemicals for $60. You don't really have to worry about keeping the chemicals in stock for experimenting and lab purposes, but actually making anything you've invented will require their own chemicals bought separately. b but disregarding that, they cover most chemicals that can be acquired without serious effort.

Now to get back to work. You experiment with various solutions of chemicals and compounds, adding them to small amounts of venom. Eventually you think you have a proper sample. Some testing reveals that this particular sample of a mixture of venom and other elements should last two weeks in liquid form. It should also be just as potent as the regular venom. This should cost $10 to turn a 1 ml sample into 1 ml of the better lasting venom.

Your experiments with venom powder also went fairly well. Turning the venom into a powder went along fine. In terms of expiration, the powdered venom should actually last forever without expiration. There is a fairly large caveat though - the powdered venom isn't lethal. At all. The powdered venom isn't in conditions to turn back into its liquid form when inside a warm-blooded body, and the powder itself poses no threat. You know how to easily turn the powder back into a liquid using a combination of heat and a drop of a certain chemical, but that doesn't happen naturally.

You don't bother with vacuum bagging as it feels like an unnecessary cost as a solution for a problem that you already fixed. You also now have 1 ml of Lasting Venom, 1 ml of Powdered Venom, and 1 ml of regular Venom. You used up the venom from the venom bullet that was about to expire in the experimenting. The bullet wasn't particularly useful after the venom had been taken out, so you threw it away.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)
Makeshift Data Terminal
Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:13:28 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2016, 11:43:01 pm »

What did you throw away, the bullet or the contents? If it was the bullet, kick yourself for doing things half-asleep and get it back - you can refill it with fresh venom if you need it, or it'll work very well just as a hollow point.

SDCAAD (Sabot Discarding Cluster Ammonia Area Denial) Grenade

Buy a 1cm diameter glass tube with thin enough walls to shatter if dropped - the thinner, the better. Make caps with epoxy and some filler, cookie-cutting them with a section of glass. Cut the glass tube in 5cm sections and epoxy a cap to one side of each, letting it cure. Fill the sections with ammonia, and seal the other side with another cap.
Sabot container: draw two circles on a piece of corrugated cardboard: one to fit the butane cannon bore, and another 5cm further out. Cut the outer circle, and make a series of V cuts between the circles so the resulting tabs will fit when folded to a cylinder.
Lid: repeat, but with the inner circle 2mm longer, and the outer only 2cm away. Bind with tape once folded.

Fit the container into a short ring of pipe the same bore as the cannon to hold the walls up, see that is snug but not tight, sliding with ease. Wrap 4cm wide strips of paper around the the ammonia tubes to prevent them from clinking, and load them snugly but not too tightly into the container. Put the lid on, remove the container from the ring, and use an easily removable bit of tape to hold them together.

Operation: put the container into the butane cannon, remove the lid so it can slide into the bore, and fire. Once out of the pipe, the cardboard container unfolds and the strips of paper come free while the heavier ammonia tubes will fly much further, tumbling and spreading in the air, shattering on impact and making the area unbearable.
It should work everywhere except where the ground is too soft, but this shouldn't be a problem in an urban environment.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:47:23 am by Maegil »

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2016, 04:00:08 am »

How much time has passed since we experimented with pasta?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2016, 04:14:09 am »

Research chemicals that are toxic to scorpions, and be sure to avoid producing or employing them in these experiments.
Combine the scorpion food with various additives in an effort to produce food that the scorpions prefer to eat.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2016, 08:02:48 am »

Research chemicals that are toxic to scorpions, and be sure to avoid producing or employing them in these experiments.
Combine the scorpion food with various additives in an effort to produce food that the scorpions prefer to eat.
Scorpions are very happy eating live insects that we can get for free. The last thing we want is to spoil them and have to work and pay to feed them because they decided they like some chemical sludge better and stopped eating the healthy free bugs.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2016, 08:32:01 am »

Find out if we can sell Lasting Venom for more than the cost of making it + the cost of normal venom.

Also, should we consider keeping a stockpile of Powdered Venom as a sort of... emergency fund?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2016, 08:58:01 am »

Find out if we can sell Lasting Venom for more than the cost of making it + the cost of normal venom.

Also, should we consider keeping a stockpile of Powdered Venom as a sort of... emergency fund?
+1 for selling poison preserve, since they last longer they might go for more.
We'll probably end up with some in stock, but it also has a shelf life so we should sell it as soon as possible.
As for the instant poison DIY kits, it's more difficult, some people are bound get it wrong or maybe poison themselves, so it'd be better that we should store it for our own use, to reconstitute if we need a lot of poison quickly.

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2016, 05:32:45 pm »

Mix up some chemicals that speed up the healing process. Not exactly a Stimpack, but still effective enough. In addition, would it be possible to find a place that buys up scrap & computer bits?
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2016, 06:08:39 pm »

We can extract gold and silver from electronics.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2016, 06:44:09 pm »

We can extract gold and silver from electronics.
That's not really feasible, it's too little (or you can bet there wouldn't be a problem of discarded electronics, recycling firms would be paying scavengers to get them.)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2016, 07:16:23 pm »

It's been almost two weeks since you tried the ultimate task of the perfect pasta. Time sure does fly. You don't want to bother over nostalgia of two weeks in the past, so you get to work with today's agenda.

After doing some precursory research all the way over at the library, you think you have an idea of what you could sell the Lasting Venom for. $40 per milliliter. Including the costs to make it, that's $10 of extra profit over plain old Venom. Moving on up in the world! While you're at it, you check to see if there's any place nearby or online that buys various scrap materials. You can't find any, unfortunately - it just looks like people aren't willing to pay for scraps.

On the way back to the garage you do some shopping for your projects. You spend $10 on a Glass Cutter for your grenade project, along with $30 on the rest of the supplies for the grenades. You're not expecting to have any materials left over, though. Your other project in mind at the stores is the pseudo-medical-chemicals, but you should be able to figure it out with just your experimental chemicals.

The work on the grenade progresses steadily. You make 3 grenade casings from the glass tubing, and make their own cases with some cardboard. Along with plenty of other work, you eventually get to the point where you can fill in the grenades with the ammonia you bought. You quickly finish sealing them then step back to take a look at your handiwork.

3  SPCAAD Ammonia Grenades. You know the "Ammonia" part is redundant, but it's efficient. In a way. Kind of. Whatever. Disregarding that, you're not entirely sure about the effectiveness of the grenades. The assembly went well, there's no ammonia leaking, and logic says that they should work fine. But without field testing, you can never be 100% sure.

Now, the, er, medical chemicals? You scold yourself for being awful at names, and continue. After a couple hours of tedious work with your chemistry equipment and dead rodents, you give up. It seems possible, but just not with what you have now. But with some calculations and logic on paper, you do get close to a solution. You think that if certain proteins from the human body were introduced to a solution of various compound and heated to a certain temperature, you could apply the new solution into an area to improve healing by a decent amount.
As far as you can tell from looking at it on paper, it wouldn't really be amazing regenerative powers, but if applied continuously it would theoretically greatly improve healing time. Maybe as much as 300%. It could also perhaps be used to allow the human body to quickly do its own "first aid"?

You're not sure. Actually creating the solution would need much more advanced chemistry equipment. Some various pieces of lab items along with a microscope and centrifuge (you know) should be enough. But that would be extremely expensive - not something you can afford now.

Oh yeah, and the bullet. You threw away the bullet after using the contents for yesterday's experiments. The bullet wasn't really re-usable once you took the venom out, so you don't kick yourself. Instead, you kick your conscious for being silly.

You harvested 1 ml of Venom today, but intentionally didn't sell it because you weren't sure what to do with it.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)
Makeshift Data Terminal
Spoiler: Contacts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2016, 07:37:31 pm »

Go to a parking lot and fire one of the grenades. Evaluate the range and dispersal, then go into the area and see how strongly you want to stop breeding, close your eyes and run away.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2016, 07:49:19 pm »

Buy a cheap go-phone and use it to improve the computer.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30